FAMILY DINNER/FAMILY REUNION?

Submitted into Contest #100 in response to: Write about a character preparing a meal for somebody else.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Holiday Kids

Schools are closed for July holidays. I am so happy to be back home after six months of hard work at Turfloop Culinary School. I can't believe that I am half way through my first year at Varsity, it feels like yesterday when my parents brought me at Res, carrying big suitcases, telling me to behave and focus on my studies. It was an exciting and sad moment at the same time, I was sad about the fact that they are living behind but I was excited that I have finished matric and I am at a place where my dreams and wishes will come true.

I have always wanted to be a qualified chef since I was eight years old. I enjoyed helping my mother with cooking and baking. That is when I realised that I am passionate about cooking. My mother has a catering company but she never went to school to study for it. She learnt from my late grandmother and cooking shows on television.

Today I am going to cook my family a scrumptious three course meal. I am going to prepare an apple pie for a starter, macaroni with mince and cheese for a main course and steamed pudding, custard, strawberries and tin roof, vanilla ice cream for dessert. And I am going to learn make my own ice cream soon.

I just want to them to see that I didn't go to school to play games; I am learning very hard. I have cooked pasta before but I am going to use different spices this time. The last time I cooked steamed pudding, I messed it up, it was wet, so I want show them that I have grown up.

The time is 16: 00 now. My steamed pudding came out perfect, I have cut it into thin slices and put them nicely in a big tupperware. My custard is also ready, the heat has cooled down and I'm going to put it in the fridge so that it would be nice and cold when we eat it. What I have to do now is to boil my macaroni and cook mince meat. My parents will be back at 18:00 so I still have plenty of time.

My name is Thandolwethu Khuzwayo by the way, I am the eldest of three children. I have two sisters, Akhona and Aphelele. My parents are divorced due to my father being a serial cheater but they are co-parenting so they do get along for our sake.

I have invited my father for dinner since I last saw him when they left me at school. I asked my mother for permission first and she was fine with it so I hope that everything will go well. My sisters are back from playing, they are very dirty, it's like they were swimming in the mud.

"What happened to you two?" I asked curiously.

"Sihle spilled mud on us!" They sang.

"Oh, gosh, that child is so naughty!" I said hitting the chopping board with a knife.

"Go and bath!" I shouted at them.

"Okay, we will go, can we have one slice of steamed pudding first?" said Akhona.

"Akhona, I said go and bath!" I screamed.

I miss my sisters when I am at school but they can be a handful sometimes, especially, Akhona, she likes asking for things, everytime when you ask her to do something, she will ask you to give her something first. She is not doing me a favour by going to bath, she is the one who is dirty not me but when my mom comes and find them dirty she is going to shout at me, that is what I hate about being the eldest. They always blame me for my sisters' mistakes as if I am the one who tells them what to do all the time.

Back to my cooking, I have fried my onions, they are nice and brown. Now, I am going to put my mince meat in the pot and leave it to cook. Then I am going to pick nice clothes for my sisters and I to wear at dinner, I am sure that they don't want to wear pjamas for the 'special' dinner.

My macaroni is ready by the way, I just have to wait for my mince meat to cook.

I am going to wear purple my pinafore dress with black a t-shirt under neath and wear my silver sandals. I chose denim shorts, t-shirts and sandals for my sisters.

Now, I am going to check on my mince meat.

Yummy! It has cooked very nicely! I poured the mince meat on top of the macaroni and mixed it all together and I put my gratted cheese on top and left it to melt for two minutes. The time is 17:00, my parents will be here in a hour so I have to finish up and go freshen up. I checked my pot and my pasta looks yummy!

Now, I am cutting my strawberries nicely into thin slices and put them into a bowl so that it will be easy for me when I dish up.

"We have finished dressing up; can we have steamed pudding now?" said Aphelele.

"You will have it, when we are all having it, go and watch tv!" I said rushing into the bathroom.

I took a quick shower and got dressed.

My dad arrived at 17:35. I wasn't expecting him to arrive early because he is always the last one to leave at work. He still have the gate remote so he let himself in.

"Daddy!" said Akhona and Aphelele.

"My princesses!" said daddy picking them both up at the same time.

"We miss spending time with you daddy, when are you going to take us out again?" said Akhona.

"Mmm, I don't know yet, I will have to check my diary first." said daddy.

He asked them to go and sit in the lounge. I finished dressing up and went to the lounge, I found them sitting in the three-seater couch, daddy in the middle, Akhona and Aphelele sitting on the sides.

"Hello daddy!" I said standing in front of him.

"Hello my angel!" He said standing up and squeezing me into a hug.

"How are you my baby?" he said still holding me.

"I am good thanks and you?" I said letting go of him; I don't like hugs.

"I am good my girl, how's school?" he said.

"All is well for now," I said.

"That's great!" he exclaimed.

He continued asking me questions about school and chatting to my sisters as well.

Then we heard my mummy's car playing music, Nothing without you by Dr Tumi.

"Mummy is here!" said Akhona and Aphelele at the same time.

I stood up and went to set the table for dinner.

"Good evening everyone," said mummy passing by the lounge.

We greeted her back and she went to her bedroom. She came back after 15 minutes wearing a blue denim short, a pink vest and sleepers.

"Thando, why didn't you tell me to bring casual clothes for dinner because you are all wearing casual clothes and relaxed, I am the only one who's stuck in the suit?" said Daddy.

"Sorry, I didn't think about it but it will tell you next time;" I said laughing at him.

" See, you are laughing at me, you're a sell out!" he said laughing as well.

I asked them to sit by the table. I brought them water to wash their hands first. Then I served them the starter. They all enjoyed my apple pie and said that they are eating it for the first time. Aphelele and Akhona wanted some more but I told them save their appetite for the main course . After having the starter we chatted about school; my father asked my mom about her businesses and stuff. Aphelele and Akhona kept on nagging dad about taking them out and reminding them about things that he promised to do for them.

"You can bring the main course now," said mummy.

I went to dish up in the kitchen. My mum asked Akhona to come and help me.

"Why me? Why are you not asking Aphelele?" complained Akhona.

"Aphelele is four years old and you are eight years old, that's why I am asking you!" said mummy.

"This is not fair!" said Akhona dragging herself into the kitchen.

"Akhona is lazy," said daddy, laughing.

"Very lazy!" mummy exclaimed.

I dished up the pasta and Akhona served them. Then I gave her food and she went to sit down.

"Are you okay, Akhona?" asked mummy sarcastically.

"Yes, why?" said Akhona.

"No, I'm just checking up on you, I thought that you would say your hands are sore or something." said mummy, teasing her.

Then daddy burst with laughter as usual. Akhona got annoyed but contain herself.

I came with my plate and next to daddy.

"How's my pasta?" I said looking at all them.

"Delicious!" said Aphelele and Akhona.

"Scrumptious!" said daddy diggin in.

"Mmm, I didn't want to say to say this but it more nicer than mine!" said mummy.

"Thank you, I'm humbled!" I said blushing.

"That's the thing about being a teacher, your learners become better than you!" said daddy.

"That's true but I am not going to allow it to happen to me, I am going up my game!" said mummy.

We all laughed at that.

It was nice to see my family happy and enjoying the food that I have cooked for them. It meant a lot to me.

"I miss you guys, " said daddy.

"Why don't you come and stay with us then?" asked Aphelele.

"It's complicated my baby," said daddy.

"You brought this upon yourself, Menzi." said mummy.

"Yeah, I know but I am changed man now, I have learnt from my mistakes, can we start afresh?" said daddy.

"This is not the right time to talk about this, Menzi." said mummy.

We ate in silence and I caught daddy staring at mummy and he saw the I could see him and he looked the other way. I went dish up the dessert and Akhona helped me again but she did it voluntarily this time.

My mother complimented my steamed pudding and reminded me of the first time I cooked it and we all laughed about it. My daddy also complimented my presentation and I felt proud of myself.

"I have to love and leave you guys," said daddy.

"Why don't you sleep over?" asked Akhona.

Daddy kept quiet and looked at mummy for moment and mommy looked at him.

"I didn't bring any clothes with me, baby, I will sleep over next time." said daddy.

"It's fine; you can sleep over." said mummy.

"Are you sure?" asked daddy.

"Yes!" said mummy.

"Yay! Daddy is going to tell us folk tales like the olden days!" said Akhona.

My mum melted when she saw the joy in our faces.

"I also miss you sometimes," said mummy tearing.

"As I suggested earlier, it is not too late to start afresh, it's up to you to decide!" said daddy.

"You are pushing it now!" she said pointing at him.

They both laughed and we joined them.

That was the end of the family dinner which turned out to be a family reunion.

June 30, 2021 15:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.