2 comments

General

I just want to scream! Work is frustrating and taking up all my time, the news is depressing like always. I mean, what is this world coming to? I just need an escape and vacation is still a few months off. I used to escape by reading books. They always led me to a magical world. I almost wrote one once when I was in 8th grade, why did I ever give that up? I was so creative back then. Too bad I have no time or energy to write a book now. I guess I missed that opportunity. I wonder if there are any libraries near here. Oh look, there’s one just down the road, maybe I should get a card and start checking out books to read. It’s cheaper and I can still have my escape from all this nonsense.

I am so glad libraries are still around. It makes me sad to think all books are now digital and you can read them off different devices. The accomplishment doesn’t feel the same as when you hold a book and read its many pages and then when you finish, you can see all the pages that you read. Libraries are perfect. Not only do you get the actual physical book to read, but you get a chance to participate in the biggest book share in the area. Unlike the apartment book share pile that may have seven books max at one time. The books are usually not the type you like reading either, let’s face it that’s why they are in the limited book share to begin with; because someone doesn’t want the books anymore. So, who cares if someone steals the book instead of returning it or adding more books to the small pile? The library makes you return the book, or else you owe them money, that’s probably why their selection is bigger and more diverse.

As I walk in the library with its many shelves, books, and displays, I am reminded of my childhood. My mother used to bring us to the library for a few hours every week or so and we would run to our favorite section and start grabbing books to read. I would usually have to put some back because I wanted to read so many. The next goal was to find the comfiest and quietest chair or bean bag to curl up on and start reading one of the books I found that day. In schools back then, they even taught you how to find the books in the library using the Dewey Decimal System. I don’t really remember it that well now, but I know I can still find the books and authors I want to read. If not, I can always ask for help. You could also search for books on the very old computers and that’s where the Dewey Decimal System was crucial in helping you find just where your book was located. I remember the little notecard looking things that all the books had that were stuck in the back and stamped by the library. We would have to go to the library to do research for school projects. My how things have changed since then. Most kids don’t even have to leave their homes to do research for school projects. Its kind of sad really when you think about it.

Now what am I in the mood to read today? Mystery? Thriller? I usually like those, but I’m not really feeling that today.

Romance? No, too sappy.

The new year is coming up, why don’t I check out the self-help aisle and see if I can find anything interesting there. “How to get your kids to clean” Nope, don’t have kids; “How to make cleaning a daily habit” I should, but let’s be real I hate cleaning; “Yoga for beginners” isn’t that what they have classes for, I should just use my gym membership for that one; “Decluttering your home to declutter your mind” now that could be helpful. I have been stressed out a lot lately. What with all the hours I’ve been working and having very little time off to clean because I’d rather relax. My home does feel like a mess, and it is probably helping me to stay stressed.  Really all its going to say is get rid of stuff you don’t use. Well news flash I don’t use stuff because I’m always working, that doesn’t seem fair. “On Writing” by Stephen King, now that could be good. I’ve never read any of his books and have only seen a few of his movies, but I know he’s popular so he should know what he’s talking about. I do wish I could write a story. I was always good at writing when I was younger, and I have always wanted to try it again.  Wait why is this book in the self-help aisle? It’s a memoir. Oh well it’ll give me something to do when I’m waiting around or can’t sleep. Maybe one day I’ll get to that world’s greatest novel I’m going to write. “Bird by Bird” by Anne Lamott, a story about writing and life. Well there you go. That combines my two goals today, figuring out how to declutter my life and maybe get back into writing as a hobby. Only one week to read both books?! Well I guess, I could always just ask for an extension if I need it.

Four days! That’s all it took for me to finish both books. I thoroughly enjoyed both books in their own way. I know Stephen King talked about the hard time he had starting out, but he made writing sound so easy. Anne Lamott’s overarching motto of take it bird by bird or one thing at a time, also makes writing a novel sound easy. If I take it chapter by chapter, then it won’t seem as big of a task. I could use that for my life too, to get things done and stress less about work.

I should do a google search and see what else is out there for writing novels. Create your writing routine, creative writing contests for 2020, how to get published. Wow! There’s a lot of information easily available. What’s this writing routine? Pick a time everyday to devote to writing; I can try. I think I’m more creative before I go to sleep, and it could help me unwind at the end of the day. I think I’ll try it then, maybe with some wine to start. I will start this at the new year and who knows maybe I will be rich by 2021.

Alright January 1, 2020, the year of my novel. Come on computer let’s begin…

Maybe I should use pen and paper…

January 24, 2020 19:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Karen McDermott
10:33 Jan 30, 2020

Interesting use of stream of consciousness style! As a former librarian I liked the library references too. 'On Writing' was great, I now want to check out the bird one you mentioned. I liked how meta you made it; tackling a writing prompt by writing about the writing process.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Knapp
20:08 Jan 24, 2020

I tried something a little different with this one, so I am open to pros and cons, but be gentle :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.