Shadows In The Sunset

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

I hear the twigs underneath my feet breaking as I run. Wind lashing against the tree branches, the echo of steps behind me, getting closer and closer. I rush behind a tree and try to quiet my quickening breath and the shadow of the person chasing me comes closer.

A deep voice starts speaking saying “I know your out here, I can hear your breath rading and your heart starting to pound. I can smell the fear on you from here.” he finished as he started laughing. 

I start to panick as the foot steps seems to have stop. I go to look behind the tree I was hidding at, when sudden everything went dark. A chilly air brushed past me as I slowly opened my eyes, the sun was still setting, and I was still of the middle of the woods, in god knows where. As I slowly get up I hear twigs breaking nearby as I spot a knife near me. I grab the knife and hide behind a rather large tree. 

The sound of the steps and twigs breaking get closer and closer until the stop right next to me. I look at the man standing next to the tree, hoping he isnt the one who was chasing me, and that he doesn’t see me.

He starts to speak but never faces me “I’m not the man who was chasing you, I’m the one who broke you out of his cells, that are back that way.” he pauses as he points to what I’m gussing is deeper into the woods. 

“Why did break me out of the cells, and why wont you look at me? Where there other people down there?” I asked as I started pacing between the two closest trees, staring at him, and getting a feeling in my gut making it feel like I’ve known him all my life, but for some reason I couldn’t remember him or recognize him. 

He continues to just stare at the ground, but the slowly started to talk, “...Whoa, slow down. Just one question at a time…” he paused and started to kick at the dirt. He started to talk again “ What all do you remember before the man chasing you? Do you remember anything about yourself?” 

I slowed my pacing to a stop and sat on the ground with my back up against the tree I woke up next to and tried to think, “ I remember my name is… um, actually nevermind, I dont know it. I’m trying to remember anything…” I paused as my eyes start to water “Why can’t I remember anything?” 

He turns his back away from me, and starts to talk? “Because the man that held you captive, tortured you and drugged you, I guess he drugged you more than the others that we.. I mean that I recused, because they usually remembered at least their name and where they are from and their families names. Guess he must’ve had something against you. Its getting dark, we better find cover before they come out.” as he finished talking he got up and started walking away from where we had sat. 

I got up and followed behind him at a distance, replaying everything he had said, thats when I relized that he had initally said “the others that we… I mean that I recused.” I puased in shock, questioning why he had initally said we. I ran to catch up to him, and walked next to him. After a while more, I jumped infront of him and put my hand on his chest stopping him from walking any further. I looked up at him, suddenly realizing how much taller he is than me. Tingles went down my hand that was on his chest and went threw my arm giving me a weird feeling in my stomach. 

Staring into his eyes, noticing all his facial features. His jaw strong but his soft brown eyes telling a whole different story. My eye traveling down to his broad shoulders, to his muscular bicepts, to his firm chest, back to his soft brown eyes. I watch as his eyes look like are studying my every feature.

 It felt as if time had stopped, but time suddenly resumed when his features grow cold and his arm wraps around my waist pulling me so close to him I can feel him breathing as he take his other hand to cover my mouth, as he whispers to my ear “Shh, don’t say a word…” sending s tingle through my entire body. I stayed close to him and staring up at him as he stared at our suroundings while glancing down at me, every so often, as if to make sure I was still here. My arms rested on his chest and my body against his. 

When suddenly I hear twigs breaking near us, and a laughter that I could never forget. I was the man who had been chasing me. I looked back up at the man whose are was placed around my waist. As his grip around my waist slowly got tighter and tighter as the foot steps got closer and closer. When sudden the I look around and it is almost to dark to see anything, and as I’m guessing he mad that realization to the painic in his eyes gained quickly, as he looked around for something, as he suddenly stoped looking around as stareding a singular direction.

He lowered his mouth right next to my ear, as he whispered as quietly as probably possible “No matter what happens I need you to stay very quiet, I'll explain when we r safe…” he suddenly pauses, as he stares into my eyes, as I try to ignore the tingling going thoughout my entire body. He brought his free hand up to my chin and rubbed the side of my jaw. 

The sound of twigs breaking and footsteps were getting closser. Then suddenly he realesed me and grabbed my hand and started running, I kepted up behind him, as the sun was almost completely set when I see what looked like a shadow flying toward us. I start to run faster as I’m no longer behind him but next him, the shadows caught us, they surounded us, and the man chasing us had walk right past us as if he couldn’t see us.

When he was completely gone the shadows unsurounded us as one that look a little dark and a little stronger came out of the crowded space and came towards me, I backed away and stopped when the man who saved me was standing right behind me, I turned and looked up at him “I don’t even know your name and you saved me, thank you. What do the shadow like things want?”

He stared down at me and laughed a little bit, he had a gentle laugh, it was actually kinda cute. He stopped laughing as he started to talk to me “Sorry, my name is Evan, and I dont know what they want but I know they wont hurt you, they just saved us.” he finished as he nooded his head. 

I smiled at him as I turned away from him and back to the shadow that came to infront of the crowd, and took a few step to be infront of them. The one in front of me reached out and grabbed me and suddenly was consumed by a light that was within the shadow, a pain struck within me, causing me to start to fall to the ground, thats when I felt two more shadows grab me and hold me up and I was a them all start to form a circle around me, as I hear Evan screaming to let me go, and suddenly he goes quiet.

The pain getting more intense as images start to flash in my head, and I feel the earth beneath me start to spin faster and faster when I feel my self getting heavier, as I finally just give in and the light gets brighter and the pain even more intense, and when I feel as though I can’t take anymore, it all stops and I can feel the shadows carry me and place me in the arms of someone, but I automaticly knew who it was by the tingling going though out my entire body, It was Evan, I stopped fighting and fall asleep in his arms as he carries me away.

When I awake, I remebered everything that happened and everything that I had forgotten, I quickly got up and look for Evan but I didn’t see him. Realizing I was in a cave, I rush out the entrence looking everywhere for Evan. When I spotted him sitting outside the cave at a nearby tree, when he spotted me, he stood really quickly. As I ran as fast as I could to him, jumping into his arms and wraping my arms around him and my legs around waist. As he placed his arms around my waist, hugging him as tightly as possible.

I rested my head on his shoulder near his ear and whispered to him “I remember… I remember everything. I remember my name is Amora,,,, and that I love you, and that the guy trying to kill me is your brother Kevin. And that the reason the shadows saved me last night and gave me all my memories, because I’m a shadow that became human for you…. I’m so sorry that you had to risk everything to save me and that you had to ask the shadows for help…”

As I kept rambling, Evan just started to laugh and I stopped rambling, and stared up at him, as he started talk “ I missed you so much” He finished talking and started hugging me even more and spinning me around. I looked up at him and said “Can we get the heck out of here now?” he smilled down at me and kissed me “ Lets go.”


April 17, 2020 05:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.