Pals For Life

Submitted into Contest #212 in response to: Write a story about a pair of pen pals.... view prompt

5 comments

Friendship Drama Contemporary

Mike found a letter tucked in the corner of his mailbox. He looked it over, the words were a little faded but he could make out the name.

He spoke to the mail carrier the next day and decided to keep it and write to the owner of the letter and let them know he found the letter and that the recipient didn't receive it and that he lives there now.

Not knowing how things would turn out, he sat down and started writing.

Dear Sir, I am the new owner of this address. I found a letter tucked in the corner of the mailbox from you to an unknown tenant, the words were faded. Sorry, I could not forward the letter, the mail carrier said it was impossible to do so.

I have enclosed the letter and paid the extra postage and hope it reaches you. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

Cordially Yours,

Mike B. Louvered

Dear Mike B. Louverer,

I have received your letter and the one I sent years ago. I want to take this time to thank you for carring the extra charge to get it back to me.

I am grateful for the memories it sent through my mind. I remember when I wrote and how I felt when I wrote it. I hate they didn't get that letter, it explains alot, though. It saddens me a little bit, but now I can understand why things turned out the way they did.

Forgive me my manners, how are you doing? Do you like the house?

It brings back so many memories.

Are you living there alone or do you have a family? That is, if I am not being to personal. Everyone is different.

Hope to here from you soon.

Cordially Yours,

Kevin Thomas

Dear Mr. Thomas,

Hi, I am doing well, thank you for asking.

I love the house, it was the curb appeal and it's character that drew me to it. I am currently single but I plan on changing that very soon, hopefully. This would be be a great forever home, I think.

Thanks for writing back and giving me someone to talk to. Would you mind being a sounding board for me, if you don't mind. I have so many ideas for the house.

May I ask, " What did it look like back in the day?"

I await your answer or some pictures, whatever you can do to help would be great.

Sincerely,

Mike

Dear Mike,

So nice to hear from you again. I would love to be a sounding board for you. I have also included some pictures from way back when it was first built. We planted that oak in the front yard and as you can see in the picture, we hung a handmade swing on that lower branch. Most things back in the day were made of solid wood and the carvings were amazing. Do some of them still exist?

I can't wait to hear what you want to do!

Sincerely,

Kevin

Dear Kevin,

So glad to hear from you as well.

Thank you for the pictures. I love all the carvings, I want to restore them and match the ones in the living room on the fireplace. I think having a swing on that old oak would be a great idea, especially since I want to ask a young lady to marry me and start a family. That would be awesome and may seal the deal.

I was wondering if you knew what kind of stove fitted in that space?

I want it to look authentic. Thanks for any advice or if you know someone I can get in contact with;

That would be great.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Mike

Dear Mike,

Hi, I am not doing so well at the moment. Some health issues that come with old age, but I am managing.

I got your letter, I hope all goes well with you and yhe young lady. It would be nice knowing you restored the house to her old glory.

Mr. Fords had an appliance store back in the day called Fords Appliance. It used to be on Third Street downtown. It probably has a new name now, he died some years ago and it was given over to his nephew, who always helped him out, especially with the delivery and set up for the customers along with the maintenance work required to keep everything working properly. He may have one or two around from back then. He also will know how to work on them if you ever need that assistance.

I am going to have to say bye for now. Let me know how things turn out.

Sincerely,

Kevin

Dear Kevin,

I am so sorry to hear you are under the weather. I hope this letter finds you well.

Thanks for the information you gave me and the well wishes.

Good news! She said yes, I am excited for our future.

I found the appliance store. It was still on Third Street, believe it or not. Thank you, so much. He happened to have just one left and it fits perfect. I am sending you a picture. I am sure it will put a smile on your face. I love it, so authentic.

I will be working on the bathrooms next. Do you think claw foot tubs would be more of character or should we just use colors from the time period and modern tubs?

Trying to keep it authentic but on a budget, got a wedding to prepare.

All of this is so exciting for me.

If you are not feeling well, still, I hope you feel better soon and please, let me know if I can do anything for you.

Sincerely,

Mike

Dear Mike,

Hi, I am feeling a bit better, thank you.

Yes, It looks perfect and I am all smiles. You are doing a good job.

We had claw foot tubs but you have to make sure the joists are braced well, those tubs are heavy, especially the iron ones. Make sure footings are set and period colors can be found by stripping the paint back layer by layer till you reach the first layer and see if it is something you like and you may be able to modernize it with updated versions which might be cheaper.

I do not need anything except for you to finish that house and put your family in it and live happily ever after.

Sincerely,

Kevin

Dear Kevin,

Hi, I am so glad you are feeling better.

You seem like such a nice guy. Maybe I could fly you out once we finish the house.

We are going to brace the joists and get claw foot tubs for the bottom floor and strip the paint back and use period colors upstairs with modern tubs. Maybe we could find some old claw foots and refurbish them. That would save us even more.

I will send you an invite to the wedding or you can watch on zoom, if you cannot make it in person, just let me know.

Sincerely,

Mike

Dear Mike,

Hi, yes, I am getting a little better everyday. The doctor said I should be feeling like myself in a few days.

You seem like a young man with a good head on your shoulders.

Keep up the good work. What you suggests sounds like a good idea. Trust your instints. Just make sure you send me pictures when you are done. I cannot wait to see how it turns out.

Thanks you for the invite, when we get closer to the date, I will let you know how I am feeling and we can go from there.

Sincerely,

Kevin

Dear Kevin,

Hi, it is good to hear that you will be feeling like yourself soon.

I am sending pictures of the bathrooms. Thanks for your input.

We set the date for the wedding, your invitation is included. Just be sure to let us know what you would like to do, we would not want to have our wedding without you there.

You have been a great friend and mentor. You have been a great advisor as well. Thank you, so much.

We will start on the master bedroom next week, right now we are focusing on taste testing and flowers. There is so much to do, but it is all exhilarating.

Until we speak again, take care of yourself.

Mike

Dear Mike,

Hi, my hope is that your day be as special as mine was and lasting.

Remember to breath and smile and be loving towards her all your life and you will always be happy.

You know what they say, "A happy wife means a happy life."

You all have chosen beautiful colors. Thanks for sharing your special day with an old man like me. I am very happy for the two of you. You have made an old man proud and happy.

I look forward to seeing the house when it is done.

Kevin

Dear Kevin,

Thank you so much for sharing our special day. You are cherished by my wife and myself.

We will be waiting on you at the airport.

The house looks amazing and she loves the swing. Thanks you again for all the help and pictures.

See you soon, my pal for life.

Your Friend,

Mike

August 19, 2023 01:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Tom Skye
22:50 Aug 29, 2023

Very sweet read. Really well put together. Good Job

Reply

Teresa Brown
04:41 Sep 02, 2023

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Liya Dawit
18:17 Aug 26, 2023

I love this story, practical and interesting. Good luck in the contest :)

Reply

Teresa Brown
18:53 Aug 26, 2023

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Teresa Brown
04:41 Sep 02, 2023

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.