Change

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about change.... view prompt

1 comment

General

To the outside eye, Mr. Jack D. Jones was the man who had everything. Fame, fortune, a son who could carry on the legacy and family name. The businesses Mr. Jones had bought, started, or acquired over the years had culminated to create quite the sizable fortune, not to mention the various other assets he invested in. 

Born into a somewhat well-off family, things had gone downhill financially when Jack’s father died in a car accident. Jack’s mother had had no choice but to remarry to support herself, as well as her child, but her new husband had a love for both drink and gambling, and as a result Jack and his mother were worse off than before. Jack had vowed as a child at the tender age of 11, to have more wealth than anyone else. “Money...”, thought the young Jack, “can solve all my problems.” From then on, Jack disregarded anything that would not help him reach his goal of becoming the wealthiest man alive. 

Instead of playing soccer with his friends after school like he used to, Jack studied diligently through the night, asking his mother when he didn’t understand specific concepts. However, as Jack’s grades rose, the number of friends he had dropped. As he was now more committed to attaining perfect grades, he deigned to speak to his old acquaintances less than five times a month, and refused any and all offers to spend time together. 

As the years went by, Jack graduated with honors in a prestigious college, and got a medium-wage job as the manager of a small branch office. Over the years, he slowly worked his way up the corporate ladder, until he achieved the position of CEO at 49. Now Jack was at the ripe old age of 67, still the CEO.

Most people would have been thinking about retirement, wondering if they had enough to sustain them for the rest of their lives, however long that might be. Not Jack. He ruled Helen’s Threads with an iron fist, as well as Oscar’s Car Garage and Nick’s Computers, just to name a few. Jack arrived at his office at 8 o’clock in the morning, every morning, without exception. He would even drop in on the small, newly formed companies that he invested his money in, just to make sure they were using it properly. 

Today would have been like any other, except he had received a letter from his estranged son, just a few days ago. He would have thrown it away without reading it first, but on that particular Tuesday evening, Jack was feeling nostalgic, and a little lonely in his large mansion all alone with only the housekeeping staff for company. So he opened the letter, and read it through to the end.

Dear Father,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. I would like to inform you that I have proposed to Daphne, and while I doubt you’d like to come, you will find that I have enclosed an invitation to our wedding. 

Father, I know you have been angry with me for a good many years, but I wish to reconnect. I miss you. Let us bury the hatchet and start over. Though you might not believe me, I forgive you for all that happened when I was in my youth. Despite your warnings, I chose to walk my own path, and I do not regret it. Even if time could be reversed, I would make the same choices I did twenty years ago. Now I know you had my best interests at heart, but at the time I could not see. Please reply as soon as you are able.

Sincerely, Nicholas.

That night, Jack had trouble sleeping. Tossing and turning in his bed, mulling over the contents of the letter. Truth be told, he desperately wanted to see his son again. As the years had gone by, Jack had considered reaching out...but was never able to. He hadn’t had enough courage to do so. Staying up for several more hours, Jack eventually fell into an uneasy slumber.

Jack woke up the next morning with a throbbing headache, feeling as though someone had been repeatedly bashing the inside of his head with a hammer. Shaking his head, Jack took a quick shower and headed to his office. However, if he was hoping for a distraction from the unceasing pounding at his temples, he was sorely disappointed. If anything, the pain distracted him, and finding himself unable to focus on anything, decided to take the day off. 

Home was no better. The aspirin Jack took seemed to have little to no effect at all, and as Jack slumped into his favorite easy chair, he sat thinking about the letter. The wedding was in a month. Perhaps he could make it... Of course, Jack would need a new suit and tie. But what would be a suitable gift for the young couple? Wine glasses? Or perhaps something that could be used every day, like a cooking pot? 

Jack froze. What was he thinking? He hadn’t seen Nicholas in decades. What would they even talk about? What if his son had only sent the letter out of courtesy and hadn’t expected him to actually come? Absorbed in his thoughts, Jack didn’t notice when his headache gradually lessened, and eventually went away.

In spite of these doubts, Jack ended up buying a new suit, as well as an intricately carved mirror frame and mirror. 

On the day of the wedding, Jack felt queasy and sick to the stomach. Swallowing his fears, he mustered his courage and walked in. Looking around, Jack realized he needn’t have worried. Everyone was at ease, laughing and talking softly. His son welcomed him graciously, and with a genuine smile. 

From then on, Jack learned to loosen up once in a while. He retired from his position, leaving it to the younger but nonetheless capable hands of his son, who expanded the business and implemented new ideas of his own that were unconventional, but successful. Nicholas and his beautiful wife moved into Jack’s mansion, and a year later, gave birth to a daughter. Now Jack spent his days playing with her. One day, Jack happened to look into the mirror that he’d gifted his son and daughter-in-law. Seeing not himself, but happiness and hope for the future.


June 12, 2020 00:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Trish Beauchemin
22:06 Jun 17, 2020

I like the tone of the story. I got a very Scrooge vibe from Jack. I would have liked to learn more about what Nicholas did that was so unforgivable. Also, why is he forgiven now, given he said he would make the same choices if he had to do it all over again. I'm intrigued and would want to know more. I do think, though, that the change in Jack came about too quickly and too easily. Someone who spent 56 years with a single drive and ambition usually can't change that dramatically without a life-changing event. That said, I do like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.