1 comment

Coming of Age Romance

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

November 13th, 2001

Dear Christine,

It's Jordan, sorry, I think I got the right address. I just wanted to say thanks for always making my drink how I like it, your work doesn't go unnoticed!

Sincerely,

Jordan Michaels

December 16th, 2001

Dear Christine,

Hi. I just wanted to write to you to tell you that I like your new hair color. The blue suits you. Thank you for the heart you put in my drink. It's nice. Anyways, I'm going on a business trip for the next week, so you're off the hook for my lattes.

Sincerely,

Jordan Michaels

December 26th, 2001

Dear Christine,

Thank you for talking to me earlier. It's nice to know someone cares. I like the way you treat your customers like friends. I like the way you care. I know you're complaining about your roots growing in, but they're pretty sweet. Punk rock, ya know? See you Wednesday.

Best,

Jordan

February 4th, 2002

Dear Christine,

Thank you for always looking out for me. I feel like you're a mind reader or something haha. I love the way you listen to me. By the way, I like the blue jay pin on your apron, it brings out your eyes or something. I think the real reason why I'm here all the time is so I can watch you. It's cute how you put so much care into everything you do.

Best,

Jordan

April 2nd, 2002

Dear Christine,

Thanks for being you. Thank you so much. In this world of chaos and confusion, I like listening to you ramble on about the birds outside your window and other things that mostly go unnoticed. I like how passionate you are for the things you care about.

Love? (Trying something new?)

Jordan

April 22nd, 2002

Christine,

Thank you for your bravery. Ever since you wrote your number on that cup, you haven't left my mind. You're a special girl and you don't belong here with us normal people. You should be up in the sky with those damn birds.

Bird. I like that.

Love,

Jordan

July 21st, 2002

Bird,

Thank you for that gift. You really didn't have to get me anything. I know moneys tight but I like how you make things work. I think that's why we work. I think I'm ready to say I love you too bird.

Love, Jordan

September 8th, 2002

Bird, 

Thank you for all your long nights at the cafe. I love your work ethic but since the honeymoon you've been looking a bit pale. I'm gonna write this anyway because it'll probably come after your birthday. I got you the nicest statue. I painted it myself and it's a blue jay. Just like that pin. 

Take care of yourself.

Please.

Love,

Jordan

November 28th, 2002

Dearest Bird,

I miss the woman you were when I met you. Thank you for trying to still act like everything's okay but it's okay to take a break. You scared me when you fell down like that. I love you with every bone in my body and my bird needs to be able to fly in the sky. Take care my love.

Jordan

January 12th, 2003

Bird.

I'm so sorry for not getting the help I knew you needed. Healthcare is so expensive and I thought you were strong enough to get better on your own, but even the strongest birds need a breeze to get in the air. Christine, I know you'll be out of the scary doctor's soon. Thank you for being strong.

Jordan

February 18th, 2003

Christine,

Please stop acting this way, all these nice people want nothing but to help you. Thanks for staying strong but you need to redirect the strength to somewhere else. Get better soon, I miss the old bird.

Love,

Jordan

March 1st, 2003

Bird,

I still can't believe what the doctors said. I think if you fight and flap your wings as hard as you can you'll make it out. Please god make it out. Thank you for giving me hope.

Love,

Jordan

May 12th, 2003

Dear Bird,

I still can't believe you're gone now. It feels like you left my life even faster than you arrived. I went to get a coffee after you left me Bird. Thank you for trying to stay in the air despite the weather. After all, you could only glide so far. Nobody makes my drink quite like you. I love you. I always will. No other woman will ever be the same way you were.

Love,

Your husband, Jordan

May 28th, 2003

Bird,

Happy Birthday Bird. I miss you and I can't take it. I stay in my bed for days. I can't breathe sometimes. You gave me life. A blue jay flew past my window. Thank you for that. Thank you so much. I think I need therapy.

Love,

Jordan

November 19th, 2003

Bird,

I hope you're somewhere spreading your wings and flying right now. I see you in the beautiful, simple joys of the world. Of birds singing in the sky, in pretty lattes, in spontaneous gifts. Thank you for letting me see the beauty in the world too. I love you. I also saw this girl with dyed hair like yours at a bar. I bought her a drink and I think you two would've been friends.

Love,

Jordan

November 23rd, 2003

Bird,

That girl I thought you would've been friends with is named Destiny. I visited you today. I think the sun shines a little brighter where you lay. Thank you for always undoubtedly bringing me light.

Love,

Jordan

May 3rd, 2004

Bird,

Destiny wants to visit you too. The more I get to know her, the more she reminds me of you. Forgiving, yet strong. She also likes that pin you used to wear. Thank you for letting me give it to her. I think you would've wanted her to have it.

Love,

Jordan

September 4th, 2004

Bird,

I'm going to ask Destiny to be my girlfriend. I think I’ll ask her at your coffee shop so we can see the birds from your window. Thank you for being so accepting of my decisions. You would've loved Destiny. I know I said I'd never let go of you, and I won't, but I need to spread my wings too, so for that, I thank you.

Love,

Jordan

May 27th, 2005

Dear Bird,

I know it's been some time since I've last written but Destiny and I are together now. Thank you for teaching me about love. Love is caring for someone and wanting to be around them, but love is also caring for someone in a way where you'd do what's best for them regardless, whether it involves you or not. Love is wanting them to laugh even if you aren't telling the joke. Love is letting someone go if that's what's best for them. Love is letting them spread their wings and fly. Thank you for letting me fly my dearest Bird.

Love,

Jordan Michaels

July 31, 2024 20:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Oveta Jenkins
15:17 Aug 09, 2024

The symbolism of birds and nature throughout the notes made it interesting to see the connections between Bird, Jordan, and their lives.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.