0 comments

Sad

On a lazy afternoon on Sunday ,I was elated to get a message from somebody I really adore.

Hi Di! How are you? Can I call you if you are free? ,the message read.

At once I ringed her and the pleasing resonant voice of Chandrika poured in. Hi Di,hope you are fine! Sorry if I have disturbed you.

Oh dear! Anything for you. I am doing well. Hope every thing is fine at your end,I said.

Di ,its been a long time we are in touch. I always hesitate to call you coz I know you are too busy.

She paused.

Oh not at all. We may not have talked at times but I always follow you in the social media and really feel happy to see your status updates. Your son is too cute. Infact I get solace by knowing that your life is going well. How old is your son?

I spoke without a pause.

Di, my son is four years old and he is my world. Can you guide me how to crack Civil Services? Chandrika's voice have turned bit hoarse.

Is everything alright dear? You are already in a job.Do you want to change your profession?

In fact it's a good decision.I was thoughtful for sometime.

And I heard Chandrika sobbing. Her voice was shaky.No Di. My life is ruined. I don't know how to explain you.You know me very well. The person whom I married is a maniac. He is a Civil Engineer. Every thing was so normal until the marriage. The marriage was arranged by my Parents and I happily married the person, the love of my life.

Before the marriage I met him twice and had a lot of conversation over phone but didn't get a hint of his insanity. Only after a month of our marriage, I could make out his insane activities and could relate to our earlier weird conversations.He started being furious over small things and gradually started hitting me. He didn't behave normal with outsiders. He starved himself for days together. My mother- in -law would try to suffice him at times with kind words and feed him with some medicines every day twice, in the morning and at night. 

   The medicines were kept with my mother-in- law. She never told me what those medicines were ,until it was revealed one day by my elder sister-in-law. He was mentally sick since 7 years. After I came to know this ,it seemed as if there is nothing left for me in this world. I ignored everything for a year, even tried to hide everything from my parents. My parents are in old age and they are really in pain.Considering it as my fate,I tried a lot to improve his mental illness by caring and loving him even more.But his insanity had taken toll over me. He hitted me and shouted at me even when he knew I was carrying his child. Didn't get a word of sympathy from my in- laws. They started blaming me that the plight of their son is due to me. To my agony his parents started blaming my parents too.My whole family was cheated.My life was hell. I thought that may be the arrival of the new baby would bring bundles of joy and there will be some changes.But everything was as usual. I couldn't concentrate in my job,lost peace of mind and was mentally depressed which was clearly reflected on my face and physique.My child was growing and he was witnessing these absurdity every time.

     Finally one day on the 2nd birthday of my child ,which was totally messed up by him, I decided to leave that place and those people. His parents left no leaves unturned to take away my child from me. The man whom I loved with all my heart frequently created scenes in front of my parents house. I informed police and have filed a divorce case. I pray to Almighty not to give such a life to anybody. Only I am to blame my fate.

I was happy that she had taken a bold decision but sad at the same time that all her dreams have been shattered. 

 Ohh dear! I just couldn't believe my ear.

Its too painful to hear this. I said with grief.

Life has many colours dear. Now without looking back you go ahead.Find something meaningful in life and devote time for your child and make him the best person. Start afresh and move on .Just gave her consolation.

 Di ,please guide me to crack Civil Services Exam. I need to prove myself and be an example for my child. Her voice sounded confident.

    Great dear! You are on the right path.

I assured her to be a constant guide to her.

After the phone call ended,I was just wondering that life is just unpredictable . Such a beautiful,lively , full of positivity and a pure soul was Chandrika. I recalled a conversation with her long back when I was in my previous job. While in a leisure time we were together and I was just appreciating her simplicity and serene beauty.

 Hey beautiful. If I were a man I would have fallen for you. You are the most beautiful woman I have known. You might be having many crushes in your college time.Even,I know how one of our colleague is crazy about you. But you don't pay heed to him at all,I said.

With an enigmatic smile she replied,You know Di ,I belong to a well cultured middle class family. I don't have high ambitions.I have promised myself to be the most loyal person to whom I get married . Loyal by soul,mind and body. I believe in purity. I will be the most loyal wife to my future husband to be chosen 

by my parents.

      Emotions run down through my eyes to the cheek.Just prayed to God to make her strong,dispel all sorrows and make her life as beautiful as she is because a broken marriage cannot decide her future.

 Chandrika you will prosper I know. May God be with you...

January 02, 2021 14:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.