Not Worth The Dare

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: Start your story with someone accepting a dare.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Sad Drama

The minuets clicked by as I stood and stared at the piece of paper in my hand. Mama told me millions of times, ‘never let a boy dare u to something you can not or do not want to do.’ I frown as I thought of my mama standing with her arms crossed, scolding me, while giving me this lecture.

CLIMB THE FEREST. The bold letter read from the piece of paper in my hand. The ferest was the stupid nickname, they had given the tallest and most dangerous tree in the school yard. I trembled as I reread the dare again. Out of all the dares I got that one. The fact that I’m afraid of heights made it only worse. My stomach churned, as uneasiness slip through my body. My pride was the only thing holding me back right now. Papa always told me it would get me into trouble, turns out he was right, but then again my papa was always right, or it seemed that way. I just hope that I don’t have a panic attack. I usually do when I’m up high and afraid. 

I braced myself as a headed for the tree, jerking my chin up and tried to be strong. The boys snickered behind me, betting that I will not go forward with it. I could hear my girls coming up next to me, telling me it’s okay, I should let it go. Seriously? I cant let something like that go! I’m going to prove them that girls are just as capable as boys. I kept walking till I got to the giant tree, it seemed like it had grown a foot or two. I trembled from head to toe as I stood and stared, imagining what would happen if I fell.

I pushed my fear aside, as I picked up my skirts and started to climb. After about a foot of the ground, I made a big mistake and looked down. I started to panic, then I looked at the boys, still laughing and calling me names. I took deep breaths as I continued up the tree. The higher I got, the more harder it was to climb. I had a hard time finding my footing and I slipped a few times, but I knew I couldn’t give up yet. I had to do this, maybe they would stop making fun of me if I succeeded. 

I took in a deep breath, trying to contain myself as I pulled my body but to the first branch. I had to rest, my hands burned, my knees were scraped and bleeding. I glanced up, I had five more feet to go. A shudder ran through me, it was the dangerous part of the tree. I had no idea what to expect. It could be slippery, I would have a hard time finding my footing, and worse of all, it was tangled with branches and leaves, which made it hard to see up. It was going to be tough but I have to do this.

A tear slid down my face as I thought of my mama. She would be fierce when she would hear what I have done. I know I should have just let the dare go, but my pride just didn’t let me. Now, look where I am now? Sitting in a huge tree, afraid of heights, bleeding knees, and I have no way down. That was the last thing on my mind when I started climbing. Oh my! How on earth will I get down? It was way to far to jump. I was considering if I should climb higher, it was way to dangerous for a girl like me. 

I clung tighter to the branch I was sitting on and looked down. I gasped. It was so far! Had I seriously climbed this far? The boys weren’t laughing anymore, they actually looked a bit jealous, Ha! I outsmarted them! Serves them right, for treated girls like they did. I saw my closest friend Myra, she had a worried expression and was watching me, begging me to come down. Oh, I would but I have one problem, I don’t know how to get down. I called down to Myra and said, “ask one of the girls to bring my papa.” Maybe he would have a way to get me down. 

Ten minutes later, but felt like a hour I decided sitting in this tree will not help me down. I was going to try, but exactly sure how, but I was. I again pushed my fear to the side as I clung to the tree and started to stand up. Whoa! I think I’m going to be sick! It so high up and the breeze made the leaves move. It felt like the whole tree was shaking. I stood still for a minute, hoping my heartbeat would slow down. I tried taking deep breaths, which didn’t help. I can’t look down its going to make me even more sick. I kept taking deep breaths, and then I took a step forward on the branch that was still supporting my weight. 

I looked down, wondering if I should risk it. Should I climb higher or should I try to climb down, but maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea if I waited for help. I took a deep breath, stretched my arms out to help me balance myself, hoping I wouldn’t fall. I slowly took a step forward, then I slipped. I reached out for something, a branch maybe, but all I got was air. I started falling and the next thing I knew I was on the ground. I struggled to breath as Myra came and knelt beside me. Pleading me to be okay. I was in so much pain, I couldn’t talk to her. I continued to gasped for air. I couldn’t breath, I fought as hard as I could but then I just gave up and took my last breath, just as my papa called out my name with a frightening scream. 

May 19, 2021 01:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.