1 comment

Romance

I take in yet another deep breath, trying to calm myself. Looking in the full body mirror in front of me I slowly exhale as I run my hands down my dress watching as the light shining in from the window turns me into my own personal disco ball. I silently observe the way my dress moves as I turn, mesmerized by the fabric. A sharp knock at the door brings me back to reality, how could I forget, I'm getting married today! In just an hour I will be connected with the love of my life, my one and only, Derek. 

“Come in!” I call out as I walk away from the mirror and sit at the vanity and begin putting my earrings in. 

“Hey pretty lady! Are you ready to get married?!” I breathe out a small smile as I hear my maid of honor, my best friend, Lillie's voice fill the room. Full of excitement, as usual, she's more of the fun and spunky one out of us; I tend to be a little bit more shy and calm. 

“Yeah.. I mean…,” the ball of anxiety I had managed to shrink moments before was back and better than ever, fully thriving and wanting more, “I think I am.” My voice shrank to a whisper as I dropped my head into my hands. 

“EEEKK! No no no no no!! You’re going to ruin your make-up!” Her shrieking made me raise my head to see her wide eyed, taking tiny but fast steps in her heels over to me. She inspected my face where it had been touching my hands seconds prior before sighing in relief. “You’re lucky, it's not too bad, i can fix this quickly.” she flashed a big million dollar smile at me before going fishing through the make-up bag sitting next to me. 

“Hey uh, do you know where my mom is? I need her re-,” she cut me off by shushing me before attacking my face with brushes and more product. I shoo her away from me before standing, “I’m serious dude, where is my mom?” I let out an irritated sigh and watched the happiness drain from her face only to be replaced with worry. 

“Mel, are you okay?” her words were drowned in concern.

A sad sigh escaped my lips, “Yeah, I’m just a little.. nervous, scared, excited and honestly I’m feeling so many emotions I can’t decipher them all.”

“Awe Mel, It’s okay,” she embraced me tightly, “everything you are feeling is completely normal for brides to feel on their wedding days,” she pulled back to look at me, “You look absolutely stunning, every bride wishes to look like you on their special day. Now come on, let's complete the very last minute touches shall we?” she held out her hand for me to grab. 

“We shall.” I put on a small smile to make her feel better as her little talk didn't really make me feel that much better.

**20 minutes later**

“I get married in twenty minutes! Where is my mother?!” I can’t subside the growing anxiety by myself, I need my mom.. like now. 

“Uh.. I'm not sure, wait here and I'll go find her.” Lillie started to make her way towards the door before I screamed out to stop her.

“No! I’ve been cooped up in this room all day and I’m getting irritable, I’ll go find her.” I pushed my way past her and walked into the hallway. 

“Wait! What if Derek sees you? The groom can't see the bride before the wedding!” I could hear her footsteps following after me.

“The wedding is in twenty minutes, that's close enough!” I shout over my shoulder and I hear her footsteps come to a stop, but I keep going. 

I walk down a couple hallways, calling out for my mom a few times. I saw the door labeled for the groom and decided that if I can't find my mom, the love of my life would suffice in calming my nerves. 

I open the door, talking a mile a minute, “Hey i know we’re not supposed to see eac-,” as I looked up everything froze. My eyes widened and I’m sure my jaw hit the floor. I found my mother, lip locked with my fiance, on my wedding day.. twenty minutes before I’m supposed to walk down the aisle! They stare at me, their eyes probably wider than mine, “WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?! How could you? HOW COULD YOU?!” I take a staggered step back, back into the hallway, “I can’t believe this” I whisper.

“Mel.. I-I can explain..” Derek spoke softly, like he knew I was a ticking time bomb.

“Explain.” 

“I-I… I can’t..” He hung his head in shame. I shook my head and went to turn to run. 

“Melanie plea-” My mother sounded almost irritated before I interrupted her.

“Don’t! You dare,” I shifted my gaze to Derek, tears welled up in my eyes, “The wedding is off.” my voice cracked and before I knew it I was running as fast as I could with my dress grouping behind me. I burst through my dressing room door, causing Lillie to jump in surprise. I lock the door behind me before ripping my dress off and starting to work on all of my accessories. 

“Oh my god! No! What are you doi-,” she stopped when she saw my face stained with tears and they’re still falling, “Oh no, what happened?” her voice became soft.

“I no longer have a fiance, the wedding is off and I'm disowning my mother,” the confusion on her face made me continue, “I found them, my mother and Derek, kissing passionately as if their lives depended on it.” My voice cracked yet again as I started ripping out the hair pieces that were delicately placed on my head earlier in the evening. 

“Oh Mel, I’m so sorry!” Her eyes held sadness as she engulfed me in a tight hug. 

“I don’t know where to go, I’m not living with Derek or my mother.” I can feel a mental breakdown coming on very shortly. 

“Hey, it's okay, you can stay with me for as long as you need.” She hugged me tighter, making me feel more secure. 

“Are you sure? I don't want to impede.”

“Don't be silly, come on, let's get you in some comfy clothes and we can go get some ice cream.” She pulled away and rubbed my arms soothingly. 

“Okay..”

July 30, 2020 21:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mustang Patty
12:51 Aug 02, 2020

Hi there, I enjoyed the storyline. When I saw the prompt, I wondered where people would take it, and I liked what you did with your characters. I was wondering about some of your word choices, though. Did you mean cease when you wrote 'seize?' Or 'intrude' when you wrote 'impede?' Since you don't have a bio on your page, yet, I wasn't sure if English was your first language or not. Above all else, KEEP WRITING. ~MP~

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.