A Better Camera

Written in response to: Write a story about a scientist.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Historical Fiction Romance

A BETTER CAMERA

Ellis Franklin stood in his basement awaiting the arrival of his sons and daughter descending the spiral staircase. On the bench behind him were a camera and tools for wood carving. 

“I hope, boys, you’ll find success in finance. But it’s important you work with your hands. I’ve had this work bench built for woodworking and the developing of photographs.

“And what about me, Poppa? Am I to have no chance to put my hands to the camera?

“Of course, Rosalind, if taking photos interests you.

“It interests me!

“Very good! But now we must join mother who patiently prepares the Shabbat. 

 Muriel Franklin lit the candles and waved her hands over them three times gathering the light to her face. She covered her eyes with her hands and silently blessed the table. When she uncovered them, the family responded.

“Shabbat Shalom!

As they sat and passed the dishes, Muriel began conversation.

“Rosalind, tell your father what the headmistress said today.

“She said I was an alarmingly clever young girl.

“That’s good, Rosalind, very good.

“I don’t like the “alarmingly” part, Ellis.

“Why not?

“It suggests her teachers might be put off by her cleverness.

“All the more foolish they.

“And we don’t suffer fools, do we?

“We do not, Rosalnd!

“She added your Rosalind does not take criticism lightly.

 “Poppa, the teacher corrected my French; she was wrong.

“Even so, the better part of discretion might be a little restraint.

“I’ll try, Poppa.

“So Ellis, where will we vacation this August?

“What do you think of Norway and the fiords?

“And the mountains! We could climb mountains, Poppa, and look down on the fjords.

“Of course, we will climb mountains.

The Franklin family ascended the mountain. When they reached the summit, they stopped and looked out over the fjord. Rosalind was the first to voice appreciation.

“Poppa, what a glorious sight!

“It’s most picturesque.

“It’s sublime. The fiords are fantastically blue!

    That fall the family gathered for another shabat.

 “Will you return to Cambridge, Rosalind, to study the holes in coals?

“No, Father.

“What will you do?

“Improve my French.

“Isn’t it time you looked for work to advance your career in science?

“My friend, Adrienne, has found me a position in a Paris laboratory with a de-mountable X-ray tube that is evacuated by a double oil and mercury diffusion pump.

    Her family stared at Rosalind; she translated.

“It has a better camera. I’ll be better able to see holes in coals and discern the most efficient, profitable coal.

“That’s good, very good, indeed!

“Adrienne also found me a flat on the left bank where I hope to host family who come to visit.

In the Paris laboratory, Rosalind handed a photograph to Vittorio Luzzati, who studied it before questioning his new colleague.

“Rosalind, your golden hands adorn whatever they touch.

“Thank you, Vittorio.

“The boss will be very impressed. But be careful. Mering is known for conquering both the microbe and hearts of women studying it.

“I thought he was married?

“Yes, but none has met his wife. That is why I urge you to be careful.

    Two weeks later Rosalind scaled the Eiffel Tower with the mysterious Jacques Mering. She was as much impressed with the city below as she had been with the fjord from the summit of the Norwegian mountain; he, with her sense of awe. 

“I can’t believe you haven’t been here before.

“I’ve been busy sightseeing through Paris museums and our laboratory cameras.

“I hope you don’t feel overworked?

“Not at all. I love my work, don’t get enough of it. And you?

“One grows tired of looking down and inward and must occasionally look up and outward. Where better to do that in Paris than from here.  Come, look.

Rosalind once more gazed upon the city of light. Jacques moved closer, leaned down, and was about to kiss her when she awkwardly drew back.

“You must be patient with me; I’m not used to this.

“What?

“Being the object of desire of a married man.

“You work among men, most married. A woman as attractive as you must have been pursued before.

“You think me attractive?

“Yes.

“I’ve very little experience with men.

He hesitated only a few seconds before asking.

“Are you a virgin, Rosalind?

She smiled shyly and turned away. He changed the subject.

“Come, it’s time we descend from this height.

    Rosalind and Vittorio were sharing with Adrienne their most recent x-ray photograph when Mering entered the lab. He looked at the photographs on the table.

“You must be careful. You’re not trapeze artists working without a net. Who knows the danger of X-rays? 

“We limit our exposure.

“Vittorio, how long had you been photographing when I came in?

“On and off, for three hours.

“That’s too long, and both of you were wearing only white laboratory coats.

“We’ll be more careful in the future.

Knowing her friend wanted to talk with their boss that morning, Adrienne found an excuse to expedite things.

“Vittorio, lets see if the travel agent’s come up with anything for our holiday this August.

Shortly after the two left, Rosalind turned to Mering.

“Jacques, I need your advice.

“I don’t recall your ever asking for advice before, not in the lab or anywhere.

“I’ve been offered an appointment at King’s College, London. Randall wants me to apply our photography to the study of proteins.

“An opportunity to move from dead to living matter. And you wish to know if you should accept or not?

“No, that’s a decision I’ll make. I wish to know what you think of the opportunity in London as opposed to the opportunities remaining for me in Paris?

    “Should you accept this appointment, Vittorio and I shall miss you very much. 

“And I’ll miss you very much.

“On the other hand, Randall may give you the opportunity to work not only on proteins but also on DNA,

the frontier in science. You’ll be investigating what makes us what we are, tracing the work of the fates, the thread the goddesses spin, measure, and cut.

“You make it sound poetic. So you think I should seize the opportunity?

“Oh, no, that’s, as you suggest, a decision you must make. I only add if it were I offered the chance, I’d seize it.

    Rosalind heard all she needed from Mering.

“And so I shall.

    A month later, Rosalind descended another spiral staircase following Raymond Gosling from her offices on the third floor to the laboratory in the basement to meet Randall, who greeted his new researcher.

“Miss Franklin, welcome to London and King’s College.

“Thank you.

“I see you’ve met Gosling. He’ll be assisting you. Miss Franklin, are you flexible?

“I believe scientists need to be willing to adjust to whatever the camera reveals and not disappointed should they fail to discover what they expected.

“Are you such a scientist?

“Yes.

“Very good for you’ll not be investigating proteins. We think it more important you use your camera to investigate the structure of DNA. I’ve asked Raymond to bring along a photograph he and Maurice came up with. 

The latter handed the photo to Rosalind, who studied it.

“This is good. But we can do better. Yes, the two of us can do much better.

“Then, you’re happy with the change, Miss Franklin?

“I’m quite pleased, Mr. Randall.

“Very good! As far as the x-ray diffraction effort with DNA specimen is concerned, you and Raymond will work on it.

Gosling expressed surprise and displeasure. Randall returned to his office.

“Raymond, what can you tell me about the camera you’ve been using to take photographs?

“It’s an X-ray machine, which when fitted with a small camera, can take photographs of molecules quite well. But we need to make the humidity inside more stable.

“I’ve used techniques I’m certain will further stabilize the humidity and take those better photos. But, who’s the “we” you refer to?

“Dr. Maurice Wilkins and I.

“And why isn’t he here to confer?

“He’s on holiday.

“What will he be doing now?

“I don’t know.

“Has he not been reassigned?

“Not to my knowledge.

“Oh!

Maurice Wilkins was a relatively shy man who tended to withdraw from confrontation. Unlike Gosling and Franklin, he had been informed he would be working with both. He descended the spiral staircase and walked directly to where Rosalind was looking over another photograph.

“Miss Franklin?

“Yes?

“Maurice Wilkins. We’re to be colleagues.

“In what way, Mr. Wilkins?

“Randall said you’d be joining Gosling and me in mapping DNA structure.

“I was told it was to be only Raymond and myself.

“I think you were misinformed.

“Was I?

“I believe so. Anyway, Gosling tells me you two have been taking photos. What do you think of our camera?

“I’ve made an adaptation which will give us better photos.

“A better camera?                                 

“Yes! By using salt solutions we can stabilize the humidity in the camera and thereby get clearer photos.

“That’s amazing.

“We’ve been doing it in Paris for months.

“Oh.

“I can spell out the details for you over lunch.

“I’m committed to having lunch with Randall.

“Why don’t I join you and share what I’ve learned?

“Didn’t anyone tell you; ladies do not lunch in the senior dining room.

    The information and disappointment sharpened the dislike Rosalind had for her new colleague engendered upon their meeting and ripened by the news about dining arrangements. She later shared that with Freda Ticehurst, whose job was to develop what the camera photographed. When Rosalind handed Freda a plate of Dover sole at lunch, the former drew her hand along her lower abdomen.

“That time of the month?

“Yes!

“Should I warn Raymond?

“Poor Raymond has already been alerted. I ran into him on my way down here. 

“I think he’s getting use to the curse.

“I only wish I could get use to it.

“Whoever completely adjusts?

“The women who work here are cursed in more ways than one.

“How?

“Hasn’t it bothered you the men have a lunch room their own while we don’t even have a room of our own.

“This lab is the most advanced in the modern world, and still, a bastion of the nineteenth century.

    A month later, her assistant and Rosalind were comparing notes over the latest x-rays.

“These are the best photographs we’ve come up with.

“The salt solutions are working very nicely.

    Wilkins alighted from the spiral staircase in a most jovial mood. Gosling greeted him.

“Dr. Wilkins, welcome back. How was your trip to California?

“Very good, Raymond. I return bearing good and bad news.

“Let’s have the bad, first, sir.

“Linus Pauling has turned his attention to DNA.

“What is so bad about that?

“Rosalind, he may crack the DNA code before we do. 

“We’re involved in research, not a horse race.

“Yes, I suppose it shouldn’t matter who gets there first as long as we get there.

“And the good news?

“A new specimen of DNA gel from a colleague at Caltech.

“That’s welcome news, indeed. We have good news as well. Look at these photos, sir. We’re dealing with two different strains of DNA.

    Wilkins studied the photographs for a few moments.

“These are excellent. I see in both an X-like pattern.

“If one uses one’s imagination as you are wont to do, Maurice, one could make out such a pattern.

“My perception is not the result of imagination, but of observation.

“Perhaps.

“I believe the structure of DNA may very well be a helix.

“I think, Maurice, you should forget all about DNA and return to your microbes.

“Excuse me!

“It’s far too early to infer a helix from the data we’ve collected so far. You’ll have to wait until we’ve more, clearer photos.

“Clearer than these?

“Yes!

“Rosalind, why don’t we collaborate? You develop clearer photos, and I’ll concentrate on reading them.

“How dare you presume to interpret my data for me?

“I was only –-

“Don’t ever again be so presumptuous.

    Gosling, who left when the argument began, returned with Randall, who initiated what he hoped would be a détente in the laboratory.

    “What’s going on?

“I can’t work with her.

“Good! I prefer to work alone anyway.

“We need a division of labor. Rosalind, you and Raymond concentrate on the A strain; Wilkins, you and Stokes, on the B strain?

“That will be fine as long as I continue my work using the camera I’ve developed and the Singer gel!

“Maurice?

“Agreed!

“Good. And Maurice, why don’t you start on that new specimen you brought back from California.

“Right!

“Raymond, I’ll count on you to see the findings of each team are shared with the other team.

“Oh, thank you, sir.

    Several months later, much farther north in a laboratory at Cambridge University, Wilkins sought some consolation by visiting his old friend and colleague, Francis Crick, a relatively laid back and congenial scientist.

“Maurice, what brings you up to Cambridge?

“To get away, Francis. That dark lady is driving me crazy.

“What has she done now?

“Actually, she and Gosling have done a smashing job isolating two different strains of DNA.

    Their reunion was interrupted by a young American scientist, an overly competitive nerd.

“Maurice, meet James Watson, an American with a fresh Ph. D. James, an old mate of mine, Maurice Wilkins of Kings College.

“I hear you fellows are doing some interesting work with DNA. Be on your guard. Pauling is turning to it.

“With Pauling in California and Franklin and Wilkins in London on the same problem, we’re bound to unravel it.

“Wouldn’t you rather get there first?

“I would; but my colleague is more concerned with getting there than with getting there first.

“What’ve you come up with so far?

“If you’re really interested, come to our symposium to hear what we have accomplished thus far.

“Sounds like a good idea. We can get a close-up view of the dark lady of the veils. Dark lady, Watson, is Wilkin’s appellation; I’ve added the veils. She is King’s College own Vivian. 

    “Vivian?

“The woman who steals Merlin’s power and uses it on the old wizard!

“Ah, a mystery! I love to solve mysteries. I’ll be down to King’s College to listen to your dark lady of the veils.

    The London symposium gave Crick and Watson all they needed to launch their own investigation of DNA. They built a model of the helix and invited the King’s College team to see it. After viewing the model, Rosalind asked a simple question.

“Where’s the water? DNA is a thirsty molecule. It would soak up ten times the amount of water for which you have allowed. The phosphates, moreover, have to be on the outside, encased in a shell of water, and the sodium inside.

A week later, Watson and Crick were off the DNA project at Cambridge. A month later in her laboratory in London, Franklin was unexpectedly interrupted by Watson who had just returned from California.

“Uninvited guests should have the courtesy to knock.

“The door was open. I thought you’d be interested in news from across the pond. Pauling’s made the same mistake we did with our model. He concludes DNA is a three-chain helix.

“No hard evidence exists to support a helical structure. The stupidity of your remark is obvious.  If you stop blubbering a moment and look at my x-ray evidence —-

“Rosie, you’re too damned incompetent to interpret your own data.

Franklin angrily moved towards Watson, who backed up and bumped into Wilkins. Forewarned, Wilkens led Watson from the lab, passing Gosling, who entered carrying the latest photograph. Rosalind examined the photo and looked up both disappointed and delighted. Raymond was ecstatic.  

“Photograph 51! It’s the best yet.

“The DNA is clearly in the shape of an X. Its shape suggests a helix. I think I’ll have to be flexible once more, Raymond.

“I think so.

    In Cambridge there was even more jubilation when Wilkins visited his friend Crick.

“Miss Franklin will be leaving us.

“Yes, you’ll have to bring me up to date on what you and she have done.

“I brought this along. It’s the clearest photograph yet of the DNA; number 51.

    The next day Crick was in Watson’s office.

“I thought you might like to see this.

Watson studied the photo.                                                                                  “A helix?                                                                                     “A double helix! One set rising and one set

falling.                                                                                           

“With the phosphates on the outside?                                                                            “If you insist.                                                                                         “Franklin insists.                                                                                         “You’ve got to get Bragg to allow us to build

another model.                                                                                       

    Shortly thereafter Wilkins was once more confiding in Crick.

“We’ll soon be rid of the dark lady and then Gosling and I can move forward on DNA as a helix.

“Any new data?

“The lady has come up with some measurements on what she now feels is a helix and the distances between the bases.

“Can you be more specific about the measurements?

Wilkins handed the Crick an envelope.

“I jotted it all down. 

Watson intercepted the envelope.

“You’ll have to excuse James.  A new model would

help erase the sting of the failure of the first. Would you mind it we made another?

Wilkins the man minded; Wilkins the gentleman could

not mind.

“Why should I?

“That’s very sporting of you, Maurice.

Several months later and a publication later, Freda Ticehurst held a tray of laboratory vessels while she poured into them champagne. Wilkins raised his vial.

“To Crick and Watson for papers describing the structure of DNA in Nature.

    As she raised her vial, Freda looked about the laboratory.

“Where’s Rosalind?

Rosalind Franklin was in a hospital, heavily sedated with pills to relieve her of pain from cancer. In a restless nightmare, she ascended a mountain tied by strings to ghosts from her past. As she climbed, she managed, however, to disconnect herself from each of the compound figures as the rope binding her slipped away until she reached the top of the mountain boundless and looked down on the sheer beauty of things.

March 12, 2022 21:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.