7 comments

Romance

"Good morning. Oh, it's you, vice president." He strutted in.

"Morning President Ren." I walked over to his work desk and hoisted myself onto it. I had been cleaning the student council room for a while, so now I'm exhausted.

"You're early again. Did you get breakfast?"

"Of course, it's Friday - my turn to do morning shifts. And no, I didn’t eat breakfast. But my question is: why are you always here this early in the morning?" President Ren always arrived early in the student council room whenever it was time to clean. The answer is clear.

"Do you surrender?"

"Never. Not until-"

"Until what?" I initiated eye contact straight into his eyes. 'Confess. Confess. Confess...! Please say something!'

My lips pursed.

Confess.

"Nevermind. Please get off my desk." His uniform brushed my legs as he walked to place his bag down. My heart jumped.

Ah... the perfect time to pounce is when the prey is alone. This feels like a perfect opportunity. Yes, yes! I'll make his heart jump...!

"Frei."

I jolted at his voice. I turned to meet his eyes, his oh-so brilliant eyes. They were so full, so deep...

So pretty.

"Frei!" I blinked a few times, throwing myself back into reality. This was my chance.

"Ren..." I folded my legs up onto the table and turned my entire body so I was facing him. I leaned in close.

"W-what are you doing?"

I could feel his breath. I swear I saw a tinge of pink dancing on his cheeks. I was no different. "You..."

"Good morning!" The door swung open and in came a peach-haired girl.

"Ah!" I gasped, falling off the table.

“Eh?! Are you okay, Vice President Frei?” The girl shrieked overdramatically and ran over.

Way to ruin a grand moment.

“Samantha, good morning." His voice reverted to his serious tone. His serious voice was so silky, so mesmerising...

“Frei…? What were you doing?” Samantha’s eyes blinked with innocence. She’s one of a pure, though a little oblivious, heart. The student council committee appreciated her, though. “Don’t tell me you overworked yourself during your morning shift.”

No, my child. I was just trying to snag at a golden opportunity, until you came in. But, no I can’t say that. No-

“No, no. I think I’m a little hungry, that’s all. Are you ready to get to work? The Spring dance is coming up soon and they need our support.”

“Yes!! I’ll get the papers.” She skipped over to the shelf, humming to herself.

Ignorance is bliss, they say.

Thoughts ran through my head. The Spring Dance was next week and at this rate I would be going alone. That’s… not what I want! I… Found myself stealing a really long glance at him. Soft, fluffy hair, and a chiseled, defined face… My eyelids fell heavy thinking about it.

“Ah, it’s too high…” Samantha was jumping up and down to reach the stack of papers on the top shelf. In no time, Ren was beside her, handing the documents to her.

“Thank you president!” She said.

“Huh??”

“Do you want me to grab something else for you?” Ren asked, though his motives were none other than the expected. His face sneered at me.

“If you want something from a high place you should ask the tall people, Frei!”

“Yes, someone short like you need that sort of support.” His eyes were laughing.

“I-”

“Or do you want to come over and point me to it?” He turned his back to me.

I’m not gonna lose…!

“No! I’m okay! I don’t need help!” I shouted and turned away.

“Frei~ chill out a little bit!” Samantha patted me on the head.

“Yeah, the vice president shouldn’t lose her head over a matter like this.” His eyes shot like daggers into my heart. Ahh…

“Why I would never.” I gained my composure again.

“So who are you guys going to the dance with?”

Ren and I quickly turned to Samantha who was getting her work sorted on the coffee table, a happy smile on her face.

I placed my hands over my mouth to hide my expression.

“Hhhh…” I muttered.

“What was that, Frei? Who are you going to the dance with?” A teasing voice.

I shot a quick glare at Ren. “Uh, I-”

“A girl with such popularity like you would have no trouble at all getting a date. So, who is it?”

Nooo…

I was taking too long to answer so I spat out whatever came first in my head. “Actually, I’ve received way too many invitations. It’s taken me a while to choose, but I finally accepted this one guy.” I innocently placed my hand on my cheek.

“Who is it?” Samantha jumped in.

“I shouldn’t say, though he is rather cute. I have taken a liking to him.” I lied straight to his face. I was lying to myself, too. “And you, Ren?”

“I happen to be taking a girl I have long had a crush on. You’ll just have to see on the night.” He smirked.

“Same for my guy.” I fired back.

“Aw come on guys! It was a simple question and neither of you answered it!”

“The guy I’m taking knows how to make me laugh.”

“The girl I’m taking is absolutely stunning.”

“He’s kind.”

“She’s sweet.”

“Guys- I’m still here-”

“He’s gorgeous.”

I’m not really telling the truth right now.

“He’s better than anyone I’ve ever known!”

And I know he isn’t, too.

“I see a future in her and I!”

“Guys- What exactly is happening right now-”

“Hmph!” I grumbled and let myself fall onto the couch next to Samantha who was joyfully doing her work. This was no good, I was losing my composure.

“... This guy, he must be that good, right?”

“Yes. Yes, he is. Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to get breakfast now. I’m hungry.” I huffed. It seems I’m running away, and I am, but I’m also quite hungry. I closed the door behind me, hoping to leave my thoughts about him in the room.

***

“President Ren, is Frei okay? She must be pretty hungry to go off in the middle of a conversation like that. It’s that or she’s going off to see her date, she must really like him.” Samantha said with dreamy eyes.

“She doesn’t like him that much, it’s just a date.” Ren said. “She did say it was hard for her to choose.”

“Ah, you’re right! What do you think, President Ren? All the guys~ wanting our friend Frei~. Especially with all the rumours of the shipping with you two-”

“E-excuse me? What’s being spread between the students of our school?” Ren spoke abruptly, a little concerned. “And also, just how many guys soon over her?”

“Oh, a lot of guys! Last time I went with her to her locker, it was full of letters! Love letters, I bet~. Ah, so wonderful~.” Samantha went to lean against the window sill. “Sounds like a love story…!”

“A lot of guys…?” Ren muttered.

“... Then again in a cliche love story we need some unexpected guy to step in and seal-the-deal with our main character’s heart…!” At this point Samantha was dancing.

“... A lot of guys…”

***

I took my tray of food and sat down at an empty table in the cafeteria. I selected some rice, miso soup, a small sashimi with an orange on the side. A nice, simple, Japanese array of breakfast foods with a good balance of nutrition. The rest of the cafeteria was empty as it was class time, and student council members are allowed to skip out on class when it comes to our important duties. With the sound of the active kitchen and its delicious smells wading through the enormous room, I felt at peace.

Until I thought about Ren.

“Hrrrmm… I can’t have this…” I said. “I can’t, I can’t, I just can’t!”

Then I felt a hand on my shoulder. The gentle touch was almost electric.

“Oi… Well if it isn’t student council Vice President Frei.” A smooth, deep voice called out from directly behind me. “Are you alright?”

“Oh, good morning Chester.” I turned around to see the pretty blonde in my year, standing with the confidence he’s always had. “What are you doing here?”

“I was running an errand for class, and just happened to see you sitting alone. You must have been busy with your shift this morning that you skipped out on breakfast.” He circled around me to sit in the seat opposite. “You seem to have something up. What’s wrong?”

His eyes were stunningly genuine. Most girls would swoon over his intense gaze, and they did. Instead of that, I simply trusted him.

“It’s…”

“Yes?”

“Who are you taking to the Spring Dance next week?”

“Is that what you’re worrying about?”

“N-no. I’m asking for a friend.” I turned away stubbornly.

“So it’s about your dance date…”

“No!” I blushed a bit too hard causing him to laugh at my response. Hopefully he didn’t notice, but I already knew that this boy was a very attentive person. An admirable trait.

“So… for this ‘friend’ of yours, what exactly are they concerned about?”

I clenched my chopsticks and devoured another bite of rice.

“Who are you taking as your date?” I decided to change the subject.

“You’re avoiding the question. But in fact I’m not currently going with anybody.”

“Huhh? A pretty boy like you hasn’t claimed a girl yet?”

Oh damn.

“Haha, it’s more like I don’t want to go with anyone who’s asked. I also don’t have anyone in mind I want to ask.”

I quickly finished up my tray and stood up. “I see.”

He’s right. I don’t need anyone. I don’t need anyone.

“Thank you Chester, I must head back to the council room now. See you in class!”

“Uh- okay. See you Frei.” I left him stranded alone in the cafeteria.

***

I made it back to the council room.

“I’m back.” My eyes automatically started to gaze at our president.

“Frei~!”

“Welcome back.”

“Frei, Ren told me the name of his date! You’ll never guess who it is! Now tell me~!”

Huh?? He actually had one?!

“You can’t be serious.” I blurted out.

“What? Did you assume I was lying?” He stared at me.

“N-no.” I etched back, feeling taken aback.

“Now spill, Frei~”

Samantha went to jump on me, causing me to trip and hit the floor hard. Ouch.

“Surrender yet, Frei?”

Samantha looked puzzled at his choice of words but followed along anyway. “Surrender!”

I can’t take it anymore.

“I actually happened to bump into him in the cafeteria when I was eating. We had a little conversation.”

“Ooh, sneaking out of class to see each other…! But is this okay behaviour for a vice president, Frei?!” She shook her hands out of happy frustration.

“It’s fine.”

It’s not.

***

The school bell chimed, signifying it was time for class. I decided to attend class this time around. Heading to my classroom I was met with an arm, blocking my way.

“Excuse me.” If it wasn’t Ren I didn’t want to hear it, until I looked up. “Chester?”

“What’s this about taking me as your date?”

How did he hear about that? It was definitely Samantha, she’s more likely to do that than Ren. I didn’t even tell her the person’s name, but she has her ways - strangely effective ways - of getting things done well.

“Everyone’s talking about it in the classroom.”

Samantha…! How could you do this to me?!

Chester waited for a response, a little crease showed up between his brows, though he wasn’t angry, just curious.

“Is it okay?”

“This isn’t good for someone with the vice president, Frei. But I’ll help you this time around.”

“I’m sorry if you wanted to ask out someone else.”

“I wasn’t. It’s okay.”

Oh thank goodness. But he was right, if he wasn’t going to help me I might’ve ruined my reputation as vice president. And over something as miniscule as this? I’m thankful, also a little guilty.

“Thanks, Chester!” I yelled out. “Let’s go to class.” I grabbed his arm and dragged him into class for everyone to see. The girls in my class gaped while the guys blushed as I held onto this pretty blonde. Chester is my date, I like him. I’m thankful he’s there to help me, so I should help him back…

Chester.

***

“Frei.”

“Oh, hello Ren.” The president was working alone in the council room.

“So you have a date,” He started, “Chester. I didn’t know you two were close.”

Yep we are. We are very close. At least, we’ll grow closer.

“Yes, we are. We hangout from time to time.” I leaned against the window cill, trying to put a gentle smile on my face, as if thinking about him.

“What are you trying to prove? A role-model student like you shouldn’t be distracted by dates and romance like this.”

He knows. Though he was right. But still…

“I think you’re misunderstanding.”

“What could I possibly be misunderstanding? Taking a guy as your date so abruptly… and without his permission, too.”

You knew?

“Student Council are trusted with certain access to the school surveillance cameras, including the cafeteria.”

“Oh. I see. Nonetheless I couldn’t be happier with my opinion.”

“You’re so stubborn.”

“You’re so prideful.”

“Guys- did you not see me in this room the whole time-”

“Chester is so nice!”

What was I saying?

“Good for you!”

“I’m going to go see him now!”

No, don't leave me yet.

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

“You two can be so childish sometimes, it’s hard to believe you are the top two students.”

***

“Chester! You look great. The suit really fits you well.”

“Not so bad yourself. You’re gorgeous, Frei. Now… Shall we head off to dance?”

“Let's go!"

August 17, 2020 23:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Lilliane Wei
02:57 Aug 22, 2020

This was a great story, it left me longing for more!

Reply

Yaki Lim
03:21 Aug 22, 2020

I’ll do my best to keep improving ✊ thanks Whirlwind!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
05:27 Sep 01, 2020

Lovely story!

Reply

Yaki Lim
04:02 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you Sarah H ^^

Reply

. .
05:25 Sep 05, 2020

Np!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
17:14 Aug 24, 2020

Wonderful story. Well written. Keep writing. Waiting for your next... Would you mind reading my new story "Secrets don't remain buried?"

Reply

Yaki Lim
13:32 Aug 29, 2020

Thank you, I shall keep improving ^^. And sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.