New Year's Promise

Submitted into Contest #179 in response to: End your story with a kiss at midnight.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Romance

Secretly dating is considered cute but concerning. Secretly dating someone from another kingdom is considered star crossed lovers. Secretly dating the princess of said foreign kingdom while no one knows you’re one of the princes of the opposite kingdom on the other side of the map is considered foolish, reckless, and likely to get you killed.

Collin Rakin Junior, or more commonly called “Collin Kin”, was fully aware of how stupid the heart could be at times. It was one of the things that screwed over his life after all, though not usually his own heart. He was in the kitchen of his home where he lived with his uncle’s family. His aunt, who had recently joined them, was watching him with surprise. Her quiet nephew being the grownup that he pretended to be was something she never expected to see in a kitchen, never mind baking and cooking all that he was on this new year’s eve.

“Are you sure you don’t need help, Flicker?” Flicker was the nickname that Tori and Julian Senior had ended up calling Collin as he always moved quickly, even as a baby, and certainly developed quickly.

“I’m fine, Aunt Tori. I’m just setting up this picnic for my date.” He admitted quietly.

Tori smiled. Both families knew the two were dating, but it was the common people who didn’t know that Collin and Princess Elsarsaquena, or Elsa for short, were dating. When Queen Crystal had found out, she merely laughed and said she wished him luck on the endeavor, as most who tried to date her youngest ended up thrown off the parapets of the castle, and pinned to a wall by their clothes and a spear. Collin was different though. He didn’t try to impress her, and did as she asked of him. When she asked him to date her, he asked what she wanted in him as a partner.

Collin was unique to others who had tried to date her in the fact that he listened, and didn’t try to push himself onto her with a false sense of superiority. He was a quiet person for the most part, and a rather gentle soul despite all the hardships he encountered. He wasn’t one to fall when pushed, and gave as good as he got, if not better. Elsarsaquena was a warrior princess though, and had asked Collin to train her when she was younger. Collin was only about two years older than Elsa, but had agreed, feeling impressed by a princess wanting to learn to defend her people better, and with more than just words if need be. Collin had been called the king of the pit when he had been a slave, so teaching her combat was a matter of teaching him restraint as well, and one he willingly put himself through. Collin wasn’t sure, but that might have been where he started to respect her and like her.

Elsa would say it started for her when he agreed not to address her as “Your Highness” or any other titles like that outside of a royal court. He had been the one to call her Elsa first. She had taken to that nickname like a duck to water. He never pressured her for anything, or talked to her about any of the subjects that made her uncomfortable. He also got along really well with her mother and sister, as he was a knight now that they were teens. He had just turned seventeen, and her sixteenth birthday was a few days ago on the darkest day of the year. He had danced with her as she had requested, and had been heavily amused when they spotted some nobles who had failed woo her. They had gotten rather angry as the princess danced the night away with her personal knight.

Collin finished packing up the picnic, and told his aunt and uncle that he’d be gone for the night. They never really had to worry about him for multiple reasons. Collin made his way to a special place that some called the “Skylight”. It was a thin part of the ice dome that protected the kingdom of Frost from the Tundra’s harsh storms, and allowed people to see the sky. The specific area that Collin had gone to though was an area where there was a ledge just ten or so feet under the dome itself, that led to great viewing of the stars and moon.

Elsa was already waiting for him in her civilian clothes. It was rare, and nice, when she didn’t have to dress as princess, or even as a member of the Frost Guard. She always looked happier in her guard outfit, but more natural in casual clothes. Collin was probably biased with this opinion though.

“Hey, you made it.” She smiled, her orange and blue eyes almost glowing in the moonlight.

“I always keep my promises, my dear.” He pointed out with a soft smile.

The two sat down and got out the picnic. Collin had made several treats from the various kingdoms he had visited as a child, including some from Southern Point. Getting the ingredients wasn’t as hard for him as it would be for others because he had friends in each kingdom. Collin was happy that he had chosen foods from each kingdom that she liked, and that they were able to enjoy them together under the beautiful night sky.

A few hours had passed, and midnight was nearing. “New year… new goals… new choices and actions, right, Collin?” Elsa asked as they lay upon the blanket he had gotten.

Collin nodded slowly. “Yeah… though… for me, I also have one goal for this next year that I’ve been planning on for a long time…” The two were able to speak in their magical languages comfortably as no one else was nearby, and their languages were similar. It was almost as though they spoke the same but with a slight accent. Elsa found his rather cute while Collin’s found hers fascinating.

“Yeah… I remember.” Elsa sighed.

“Oh?” Collin raised a brow and glanced at his girlfriend.

“Yes. But you still have a long time for that. Just… just for tonight… can you…” Elsa looked sad.

Collin sat up and looked at her with concern. “Can I what?”

Elsa blushed. “Can you act like a prince on a date with me rather than a soldier on a mission?” It was a quiet thing, and Collin would have missed it if he wasn’t the person he was.

Collin smiled softly. He gently took her hand and kissed the back of it gently. “I can do that, m’lady.” Collin reached into the picnic basket and pulled out a small radio. He got it set up and stood up with a hand held out to Elsa as music started. “May I have this dance?”

Elsa’s blush worsened as Collin followed orders once more, but as usual, in his own way. “I’d like that.” A soft and slow song played as they danced under starlight. Neither were paying attention to the time it seemed.

As the song ended though, Collin surprised Elsa. He pulled her in for a kiss just as the lights signaled midnight, and the new year’s start. “Happy new years, my dear.”

Elsa smiled. “Happy new years, Collin.” She kissed him back.

January 06, 2023 00:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Timmy W
01:28 Jan 12, 2023

I am going to be very honest. I didn't like the story very much. IMO there was too much telling and not enough showing. "Elsa was already waiting for him in her civilian clothes. It was rare, and nice, when she didn’t have to dress as princess, or even as a member of the Frost Guard." From this to the end it was very well written and I enjoyed it but in between, you interrupted the scene with "Collin had made several treats from the various kingdoms he had visited as a child, including some from Southern Point. Getting the ingredients wasn’...

Reply

Aurora Martin
18:07 Jan 12, 2023

I agree this wasn't up to my usual standards, but I've been told I put in too much details sometimes. Guess I overcompensated again in the wrong direction. Sorry. This was also my first time writing romance. Since you didn't get upset about any of that part, I'd say I did alright. I'm still trying to balance my detailing in stories, so thanks for letting me know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.