0 comments

Fiction

I smell home. Everyplace I was held captive, the smell of the food reminded me of home. I dreamed of the day I would get to go home and see my Hope, see my home especially the food.

The smell of American food, burgers, fries, hot dogs is making me itch to see my Hope. I close my eyes and I see my Hope smiling at me. My Hope has the most beautiful smile. During my captivity, I thought about my Hope. I fought hard to stay alive. I never gave up.

The foods I ate during my captivity reminded me of the exotic foods me and my Hope always used to eat. Some was good. Others were terrible. But me and my Hope ate it regardless.

My Hope always made the funniest faces when she tried something new. I laughed at her. My Hope, I hope you are still looking up a storm. You always loved cooking. Besides trying all the food New York has to offer, my Hope loves to try new recipes.

I can't say where I am because it's a secret. What I can say is that my life was saved by some good people. I'm in a safe place getting medical treatment. I sent my Hope a letter telling her I'm alive but nothing more.

My Hope is the most beautiful woman. She has a heart of gold. She cooks so much food that she always gives to the shelters. My Hope is also a very talented baker. Cookies, cakes, cupcakes and so much more. Chocolate chip peanut butter cookies, my Hope always bakes for me.

Christmas is my Hope's busiest time of the year. I can just imagine my Hope in the kitchen cooking and dancing. I wish with all my heart that I am with her right now. Her long beautiful brown hair. Her hazel eyes and that smile that takes my breathe away.

I can smell the food filling up my nose. It's almost dinner time. Steak and mash potatoes. My Hope cooked this exact meal for me the day I got back from my first deployment and the day I left for my last deployment. I love steak and the way my Hope cooks it always made my mouth water.

The nurses bring the tray of foods to the patients who need the nourishment first. I'm in the middle of the pack when it comes to getting food. In the six months I've been here, I gained weight and been eating a lot better.

I get my food. The steak and mash potatoes look and smell better then yesterday's food. I grab my knife and fork and cut the steak. The steak taste so good, mouth-watering good. I close my eyes savoring the steak.

I'm transport back to a time full of memories. A life I miss and to the one woman who owns my heart. The day before I left for my fourth and final deployment. I never told my Hope it was going to be my last. It was going to be a surprise. Never the less, I see my beautiful Hope with her dazzling smile standing before me.

My Hope is twirling in her red dress I love, the one that makes her eyes sparkle. Her smile is as infectious as ever. My Hope is telling me something. I can't understand what she is saying. I'm too busy watching my Hope. She smiles at me. I say okay to whatever my Hope wants.

My Hope happily walks back to the kitchen. I remember this day. I smell the cookies baking. I see the wine is out. The music is on softly. The smell of the steak is hitting me. I get up from my chair and walk to the mirror.

I look at myself. Today is the day I left for my final deployment. My last time with my Hope. "Baby, are you okay?" I nod. I turn to my Hope and give her a hug. She smells like cherry just the way I like it.

"Food is ready my love." I grab my Hope's hand, together we walk to the table. We sit down. My Hope sits next to me. I love her so much. I tell her the food looks beautiful. My Hope is not looking at me. I take my hand, place it under my Hope's chin and lift it up.

"Talk to me baby." With tears in her eyes my Hope tells me "I love you. Come home safe, please." How can I tell my Hope this deployment is going to be my toughest one to date. I simply tell my Hope "I will fight to come home."

Me and my Hope eat in comfortable silence. I steal glances at my beautiful lady. I want to memorize every feature my Hope has. From her beautiful smile to her beautiful brown hair, to her amazing hazel eyes, to her stunning cheekbones and her luscious curves.

I don't want to forget how my Hope looks. Did I mention the food taste amazing. I can eat my Hope's cooking every single day. "Did you like it?" I smile at my Hope. She giggles. "I can eat your food every day. It's that good." My Hope gives me her award-winning smile.

My Hope gets up from the table and clears the dishes. I offer to help but she tells me no. I sit back and watch my Hope in her element. I love the way my Hope dances to the music. She's too beautiful not to look at.

I get up from my seat, walk to my Hope, wrap my arms around her and together we dance to the music. "My Hope." I tell her. "You are my Hope because you give me the strength and hope to come home. Don't forget how much I love you."

"I love you too, Jaxon." Me and my Hope kiss. It earth shattering. Me and My Hope smile after the kiss. "Want cookies?" I nod. My hope feeds me the best cookies I ever ate. I in turn feed my Hope the best cookies. Of course, who can have cookies without milk. Me and My Hope chug down a glass of milk, then we dance some more.

We laugh some more. We kiss some more. We hug some more. By the time the sun goes down, the snow starts to fall. My last snowfall for a long time. I take it all in. My day and half my night with my Hope goes by in a flash. It's 9:30. It's time for me to say goodbye.

My Hope begins to cry. I begin to cry. I grab my Hope. I hug her and kiss her. I tell her to be strong and I will come home. She simply nods. I grab my bags, open the door. I turn around and whisper "I love you." My Hope whisper's back "I love you too."

I close the door. I walk to the staircase, walk down the steps and out of the building. I look back up and see my beautiful Hope looking at me. I wave to her. She waves back. Who would have thought this would be the last time I would see my Hope.

"Mr. Jaxon. Are you finished?"

I wave for a taxi. The taxi stops in front of me. I look at my Hope. She's still watching me. I look at her one last time. I get in the taxi. The taxi drives away.

"Mr. Jaxon. Are you finished eating?" I hear someone calling me. I open my eyes and to my surprise, I'm in the same place I've been in for the last six months. What was in the food?

I was back in my apartment I share with my Hope, four years ago. That was all too real for me. It was me and my Hope sharing our last meal together. Our last dance together. Our last hug together and our last kiss together.

We ate steak and mash potatoes. The same meal as today. Every memory of that day is etched in my mind and heart. I promised my Hope I would fight to come home, that is a promise I kept for the last four years.

My Hope I'm coming home for good. A promise is a promise I made. I honor my promises. I can't wait to see you my beautiful Hope. I can't wait to taste your cooking.

December 15, 2023 02:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.