0 comments

Fantasy

The terrifying noise of hooves along the rocky road belonging to the Beckers' court became closer and closer. "Goddamn it they're ganging on us, Butch!" Austin, a bard from the east, shrieked. He could feel his impending doom but, what would it be? Beheading? The electric chair? Maybe even torture. "It's fine ok? I got this!" Butch said as he closed his eyes, soon after which a stampede of wild mustangs came riding beside the unruly couple. Butch chanted something in a norse language and the horses dispersed behind them. Austin seemed to be in shock, clutching his guitar like his life depended on it, "What the hell was that? Was that- Wh- Do you speak horse?" He screamed trying to overpower the noise of the horses.

 "Just shut up, Austin, let them work." Butch's comment left Austin confused until he heard the screams of men coming from behind them. Butch quickly pulled the reins, bringing his horse to a stop and guiding them to a 180. The court was being trampled by horses, it seemed like their own horses had followed along with his command as well. "Ok, I think I deserve an explanation." Austin said as he hopped off the horse, daring glares at Butch. "An explanation? For what?" Butch huffed.

 Austin paused, "Are you kidding me? First these random horses appear from seemingly nowhere, you chant some mystic shit and then we turn around and the cocks from the Beckers' court are dead? Trampled by their own horses!" Austin practically screamed. Butch seemed surprised by the sudden outburst, was it really that big of a deal? "I will try and explain tomorrow, how about it?" Butch stated lending his hand down to help Austin on the horse. Austin squinted at Butch, "The hell I will! You realize you're the brushing this whole mystic thing off like it's nothing! Why can't you just tell me, we've been on the road together for a while now- I just don't understand!" He sounded like a maiden nagging her husband.

 "You've got to be kidding me. I'm tired, Torch is tired, and I know you're tired so just get on and stop complaining all the damn time! I'll find an inn, we can rest, we'll get breakfast- my treat, and I'll explain everything. Sound acceptable? Splendid. Let's go." Butch said once again extending his hand. Austin's nagging demeanor turned into spite. "I'll walk." Austin spat. Butch rolled his eyes and Torch began the walk. The silence during the trek was awkward to say the least. Butch sighed, as he realized Austin wasn't even playing his guitar, "I'm sorry ok? We almost died back there. I promise you I'll explain everything, You're my best friend. You know I hadn't intended on keeping this a secret for long. I really am sorry."

 Austin pursed his lips, "What else?". Butch glared at Austin, "Don't. make me. Please." Butch begged. "Fine, have it your way." Austin positioned his guitar into his strumming-pose. He began strumming loudly to his personal favorite, and Butch's least favorite ballad.

"The Whores of San Pedro

Are older than God

And their beards tumble down to their tits

With one single bump of her ponderous rump

She can grind your pecker to bits.

O, here's to the whores of San Pedro

To those marvelous fucking machi-"

 "Ok! fine. I'm sorry. You are far better than me in every comparable way. You look better, dance better, sing better, and your existence in general is better. You are a god among men." Butch stated painfully as they began to approach the town. Austin stopped in his tracks, eyes wide open. "You said it! Oh my god I didn't think you'd actually say it! We both know I never hold grudges! But you. You actually, wow, I mean, I'm not sure of what to say." Austin said with a boisterous smile.

 "Good God, man, just get on." Butch said. "No reaching hand this time? I guess chivalry really is dead!" Austin grunted as he struggled getting on the back of Torch. Butch chuckled, he was annoying but damn if he wasn't his friend. The pair approached the inn, got a room, and settled in.

 "I think I deserve the bigger bed." Austin stated stripping to his long johns. "And why is that?" "Well I-I just do." Butch laughed, "You know I do recall a certain bard screaming in fear and gripping me rather tightly." Butch said already occupying almost the entirety of the bed. "We will not speak of that! You are only sleeping that bed because I'm allowing it!" Austin crossed his arms. "I hate you!" He whined, defeatedly walking to the smaller bed.

Morning came far too quick for either of the men's liking. "The sun belongs back in hell." Austin complained putting his tattered clothes back on. "That you are right, my friend." Butch said, adjusting his hat. The two gathered their belongings and saddled up on Torch. “Well are you ready to head up to Madison? I heard there’s a fine lady up there who needs a couple of strong farm hands, we’d be temporary of course.” Butch stated securing Austin’s guitar to Torch’s saddle. “Well I believe I was owed breakfast, oh yes, and a goddamn explanation.” Austin said being helped up onto Torch.

 “You know we really do need to buy a horse for you, we get glances more often than I’d appreciate.” Butch said, receiving a punch to his shoulder from Austin. “What the hell, man? You promised!” Austin was warily good a whining. “Fine.” Butch succumbed, they stopped at a street side market buying a case of dragonfruit and continuing on their way. 

 The couple stopped under a giant oak tree. “So, you know what? Whenever you’re ready.” Austin said as he began slicing the dragon fruit open with his dagger he was given to the time Butch first found him half-alive in an alleyway, good times. Butch sighed, “So, um, I used to be an apprentice for a kind man, Alonzo, he was a different man but, he was a great one. He used to believe in magic and would study it a lot. I was never one to believe in it but he paid well so I never complained. He hated complaining and whining, You wouldn’t have lasted. I genuinely considered him a very good friend- no, maybe family. He used to have test subjects, primarily flowers and a random assortment of creatures I and he’d find. One day he approached me and gave me an offer I don’t think even you could complain about. Whatever I wanted, That’s what he offered me. I should’ve picked money but I instead, got Torch. Wasn’t the worst decision though. I digress, All I had to do was drink something and repeat a sentence. Classic mystic works, right? Well I think it was morse or something, at first nothing happened, I hadn’t really expected anything to happen but, a week later I started to receive these godawful head aches and terrible pains. I was under the impression, Alonzo had poisoned me. The pain was so awful I thought I was going to die!”

 Austin had seemed almost in a trance, the same level of concentration he had when writing a song, “Well anyways, I told him about it and he hugged me. Obviously I was very confused but he just told me flat out, ‘You now have a genetic mutation to where you can form spiritual creatures and force them to do your bidding’. I was excited, I felt immortal, It was great! I guess greats things really don’t last forever do they? I never had believed that either. He had offered to train me the next day, and when I arrived I saw him in the clutches of The Beckers’ Court. Those bastards. Alonzo didn’t even try to resist, he just looked at me and smiled. He shifted positions and they stabbed him. He didn’t even do anything wrong, they just killed him.” 

 Austin’s usual snarky smile had turned to sadness, “They just stabbed him? That’s awful. I’m so sorry you had to experience such a thing, my dear friend.” Butch smiled softly, “It’s ok, It was a couple years ago.” Austin began sobbing and ran to hug Butch, “You’re just so sad, oh god!” Austin said through his tears. Butch awkwardly pat his head, “Oh uh, It’s ok Austin. Just settle down. You are such a wreck sometimes” Austin pulled away, “I’m sorry. You know how attached I get to people I barely or don’t know. Remember the-”. “-The old man’s story about his dog, yes I remember.” Butch walked towards Torch and waited for Austin to approach. 

 Austin walked over, guitar in hand, “I think I’ll walk, it’s hard to play the guitar on the back of Torch. For some reason it feels like she doesn’t like my music and honestly? It hurts.” Butch chuckled, “Lets go check out that ranch.” mounting Torch. Austin smiled and began playing his guitar as they traveled to Washington Ranch.

January 12, 2020 10:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.