5 comments

Suspense Drama

Growing up, I always felt out of place whenever they’d start talking about the business. At first, I thought I’d grow out of it and come to love these business meetings and the view of everyone in a slick business suit that look like they’ve never experienced a single wrinkle. They look suffocated by how buttoned up their shirts look. I always wondered how they could sit behind a desk staring at numbers and letters for hours on end. At the age of twenty, I still don’t have a liking for working in an office. I’ve always loved the outdoors. If I dare tell my parents that, they might fall ill. They seem to be allergic to the outdoors for they never want to leave the comfort of their offices.

We walk through the main door and whatever activity that seemed to happen before we arrived suddenly stops. Everyone seems to be busy typing or reading something. I know that look. I use it whenever my parents give me an office assignment to do. I can barely focus to get through half of it. “Good morning Mr William. You’re coffee?” She passes the foam cup to my father with her hand slightly shaking. She closes her eyes slightly as my father takes a sip and slowly nods in approval. She seems less tensed as she updates my father on the errands he has for the day. She leaves shortly after with a shy smile and a brief hello as she heads back to her desk.

The office hasn’t changed since the last time I was here. Still big, classy and cold. It only has the necessities: three seats, a huge desk and a desktop that matches its size. The drapes are a dark shade of grey which seem to accentuate the room. The man standing right in front of me is my father, The Mr William McCroyale whose clothes are always ironed and black shoes never seem to attract dust. His hair is never unruly and lies obediently in a neat fold. His watch never has a stain and his shirt ever white. He is neat and organized. His blue eyes are ever stern. “How do you like the place, Lillian? All of this will be yours someday.” He smiles as he looks around his office. One might think that he’s just received news that his only child has won the elections. I fidget uncomfortably yet he doesn’t seem to notice. He beams as he sits down and slowly begins to go through the paperwork that’s lying on his desk.

The outdoors and all the activities that came along with it give me joy. Sitting in an office seems tiresome and draining. I don’t want to disrespect my parents by telling them that I don’t want to carry on with their legacy. Disappointment will be an understatement. As I look at my father now, his eyebrows furrow, a sure indicator that he is deep in thought, I can’t help but wonder what his reaction will be when I tell him the news. I enrolled in The Tourism Agency for one of their courses and got accepted. Just as I’m about to speak, there’s a slight knock at the door. “Come in,” his deep voice resonates the entire room. His secretary walks in. Her leg is twitching as she tries to control herself. Is she always nervous? “Sir, Mr Clayton’s here to see you.” My father looks up as he puts his paperwork aside. He never puts his work aside. I panic. Who is Mr Clayton?

He walks in taking in his environment with a disapproved look in his eyes. “I see the office hasn’t changed. Still a simpleton?” He asks with a smirk plastered across his tanned face. He looks exactly like my father; well dressed, clothes ironed and black polished shoes. His assistant, standing right behind him, is busy biting on her lower lip as her shaky fingers hold onto a folder. “I assume that this the girl you were talking about.” He slowly scans my body as if checking for an error.”Meet Lilian. My daughter.” He says with a proud smile. “It’s lovely meeting you, Mr Clayton,” I say biting on my inner cheek unsure of the events taking place. “She’s perfect,” He says with a smile as I turn to look at my father with a questioning eye. “Perfect for what?” 

“You will be marrying Mr Clayton’s son, Ronald, to merge our businesses.” My father says calmly. His smile slightly falters but he’s quick to regain his composure. “It was lovely seeing you, Will. I will keep you posted on the wedding plans.” He leaves soon after, his secretary following closely behind him.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” I ask between gritted teeth. “Did you take me like a piece of property that you could sell me off to whomever you wanted to?”

He looks at me waiting for the moment I’d keep my mouth shut.

“Lilian dear, it’s been a dream to expand the business and we thought that this would be a great way to start.” My father says trying to look composed. Before I have the chance to talk, the door opens and in walks my mother who has a big smile. She’s dressed to impress with her animal print dress and heels that seem far too tight. “I was close by and thought we’d have lunch together.” She says as she stops in her tracks, her eyebrows furrowing together as she takes a glimpse of my sorry state. I hadn’t realized that tears were flowing down my cheeks. “What’s going on?” She asks with concern as she approaches me. “Now isn’t a good time Lydia. How about we…” 

“No,” I interrupt him before he completes his sentence,” I have news for you too. I recently applied for enrollment at The Tourism Agency for their courses and just got accepted. I don’t want to take over after you leave the office.” I say as I take in their worry stricken faces. Tears begin to flow down my mother’s face. I thought I’d feel free once I let that off my chest. So why does it still feel heavy? 

November 20, 2020 21:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Hello there Hope! Before I write anymore in this comment, I want to say that I have been 'assigned' to your story by the "Wednesday Critique Circle", and I must admit that you're story was the first one to pop up on my gmail page. I was very intrigued by your title as it caught my attention and clicked on your story, and boy am I so lucky to have read this awesome story! 😊 The first aspect I loved about your story (all though I basically loved EVERYTHING about your story, it would take me way too much time to write all of it, and you woul...

Reply

Hope Mwaura
06:01 Dec 04, 2020

Thank you so much for taking the time to go through my story. Highly appreciated. I will make the changes.

Reply

No problem! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hope Mwaura
06:20 Nov 23, 2020

I wouldn't go back either. Thank you so much for your support.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aisa M
08:42 Nov 21, 2020

Aw, this is heavy. I hope that Lilian would really stay with her rebellion. I hope she won't be talked over by her parents and be that dutiful daughter who will follow her parents.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.