2 comments

Drama Fiction Teens & Young Adult

The wind blew hard and Jessie’s hair whipped around her face so she tucked it under her hat. The rain didn’t help either, she was drenched from head to toe but she had to keep going. According to the road sign she passed it was only a few more feet until she reached the town and she needed to get out of this storm. Jessie wrapped her coat tighter around herself and kept walking because she saw lights in the distance.

Andrew finished wiping the counter when the door burst open. A tall figure leered in the door, dripping water on the welcome mat.

“Can I help you?” He asked the stranger.

“Any rooms?” The figure said hoarsely not looking up.

“Yeah we do. Cash or card?” Andrew asked as the stranger slid a card onto the counter. “Do you know how long you will be staying?”

“No.”

“Okay. The room is upstairs, second door on the right.” Andrew smiled and handed the card back. The stranger nodded its head and walked off. Weird Andrew thought, but business was business.

Jessie stripped off her wet clothes and set them on the bathroom floor and stepped into the hot shower. It felt nice. She washed her hair real quick and got out then she pulled dry clothes out her backpack which was under her coat and didn’t get wet. Jessie would go into town in the morning and see about getting some supplies and a tow truck. For now though she was tired and wanted to sleep so she crawled into the big comfy bed and passed out.

Jessie awoke the next morning to a knock on her door. She got up and went to answer it thinking it was the man from last night.

“Hello,” she said jerking the door open and was surprised to see a woman.

“Oh hi, I think I have the wrong room. I was looking for a Jesse.” She said politely.

“I’m Jessie. There shouldn’t have been a problem with my card.”

“Ohh. I’m going to have to talk with that twin brother of mine. The way he spoke about you made you sound like a man.”

“I’m sorry?” Jessie asked confused.

“Right, I kind of jumped around a bit. Let me start over. Hi my name is Annie and welcome to the Twin B&B. As part of rooms we rent out we provide soaps, towels, robes and other hygiene products. I was told by my brother that you arrived late last night and he didn’t get you this stuff so I thought I would bring it to you this morning. But the stuff I brought is manlier because my brother told me he thought you were a man. I’m sorry for the confusion.” Annie smiled.

“Well last night my car broke down in the rainstorm so I walked here. I was wearing a hat and big coat and was wearing a backpack so that’s maybe why he thought that. Oh and my voice was a little hoarse because of the rain. Plus I am kind of tall, haha.”

“Oh no! Your poor thing. Where is your car? I can get my brother to go get it; he runs the tow truck anyway.”

“That would be super helpful, thank you. Its right at the “Welcome to Friendship” sign.”

“Got it. I will get him on it right away and be right back with your complimentary products. Oh and breakfast will be ready in about twenty five minutes.” Annie said walking away.

She was nice Jessie thought. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad here. Maybe the town’s name was true.

Thirty minutes later Jessie walked down the stairs to the kitchen for breakfast. It smelled so good and she realized she didn’t eat dinner last night. She was starving. Jessie walked over to the buffet table and started getting some bacon and eggs when the man from last night walked in.

“Can I help you?” He said.

“Just getting some breakfast your sister said I could.”

“Breakfast is for guests of the B&B.”

“I checked in last night. In fact you checked me in.”

“I think I would remember checking you in.” He smiled.

“Jessie. Had the coat and hat on. Drenched your carpet with rain water, sorry about that by the way.”

“You’re a woman.” Andrew said shockingly.

“How very observant of you.” Jessie smiled walking off to find a seat.

Andrew was about to go talk to her again when his sister came running in.

“There you are. One of our guests needs her car towed from the welcome sign.”

“Let me guess, Jessie.”

“Correct you are!”

“I’ll get right on it.” He replied walking to the office he shared with his twin sister.

Jessie took a bite of her bacon when Annie came over to her table.

“Sorry again about the mishap this morning. My brother can be a little dense sometimes.” She laughed.

“No worries. At least now I get the name.”

“Yeah it’s a great conversation starter, haha. So Jessie what brings you to town?” Annie asked.

“My Uncle invited me for a visit.” Jessie said finishing her breakfast.

Annie watched as Jessie walked away. This girl was strange she thought. Who comes to town to visit their uncle? There was someone more going on and Annie was going to find out what.

Jessie walked into town to buy a few things while she waited for Andrew to get back with her car. She found a cute little clothes store and got a couple new outfits then walked in the grocery store and got a few snacks. Jessie noticed it then, the stares. Seemed like everyone was staring which she understood because she was new here. Jessie smiled and walked back to the B&B.

Annie walked into the clothing store that her good friend Heidi owned. She knew Jessie came here earlier so she wanted to know if Jessie told Heidi anything.

“Hey girl did you see the new girl yet?” Heidi said when she saw Annie.

“Yeah she is staying at the B&B. Did she say anything to you?”

“Just something about her uncle although she did have a wad of cash and several cards. I wonder if maybe she is a criminal of some kind on the run and found our little town.”

“Don’t start spreading rumors. We don’t know anything.” Annie said leaving and heading to the grocery store.

Everyone was already talking about the new girl.

“Hey Annie.” Several people greeted her as she walked in. Annie walked over to the registers where everyone was standing and talking.

“Hey guys, what’s new?” Annie asked.

“Oh just the new girl” Tim said.

“Yeah the smoking hot new girl” John replied.

“Shut up you two and get back to work.” Lizzie said. The boys walked off and Lizzie turned to Annie and said, “Have you heard anything about her? She is staying with you right? How long will she be here?”

“No, yes and I don’t know” Annie replied.

“Well I heard she was running from the law after knocking off a bank.” Tiffany the young cashier said.

“Don’t go around spreading things unless you know they are true.” Annie replied and left. She knew now that the rumor mill would be starting soon.

Andrew arrived back to the B&B with Jessie’s car and saw a few people standing around.

“What are ya’ll doing here?” He asked walking to the door.

“Just a glimpse of the criminal mastermind” one of them said.

“We don’t have no criminals here,” Andrew replied but he had a feeling he knew who they were talking about. He walked into the B&B and heard the gossip starting.

“She knocked over a bank”

“No it was a jewelry store”

“I heard she was involved in a money laundering scam”

Jessie walked down the stairs and everyone went quiet. They were talking about her, she knew it. Maybe she should just clear the air before things got out of hand.

“Hey everyone my name is Jessie and I’m here too…” She started but got interrupted.

“She’s gonna rob us or scam us! Beware!” an older woman said running out the door.

“What? No I’m not. I’m here to help my uncle.”

“Oh really. Who is your uncle then?”

“Charles.”

“Ha! Yeah right your uncle is Charles!”

“He is! I’ll call him!” Jessie said grabbing her phone. “No service.”

“Yeah likely story with nothing to back it up.”

Jessie looked around nervous. Maybe this wasn’t the place for her. Just then her uncle walked in.

“Jessie there you are. I thought you would be at the house by now.” Charles said giving Jessie a hug.

“Sorry Uncle Charles but my car broke down.”

Everyone gasped at the realization that Jessie was telling the truth. Charles was basically the town’s owner and mayor. He was the richest, nicest man in town but didn’t seem to have family.

“So Jessie what do you think? Do you want to open up your business here and help the town grow?”

“I don’t know Uncle. Everyone seems nice but if we are going to bring new people here we should change the town name to Gossip or Rumorville.” Jessie said laughing.  

February 05, 2022 02:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Valerie Vince
15:27 Feb 10, 2022

Hi Rebecca, Laura at Reedsy assigned me to critique and give feedback on your story. I really like your writing style, and the rising action was very intriguing. I read it with pleasure. A couple thoughts: I'm wondering why Jesse wouldn't have mentiond that her uncle is the mayor. Or, asked Andrew that night to use the B&B phone to call Charles, given he's the mayor. I get that this would have changed the whole story. I guess I'm thinking about plausibility. I found a couple of grammar things too - let me know if you want my edits. ...

Reply

Rebecca Hackney
19:32 Feb 10, 2022

Thank you for your feedback! I understand the confusing parts about Jesse and I should have explained them better. As for grammar I have always had a problem with it but I'm working on it. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.