0 comments

Friendship Fiction

Serenity knew that she wasn’t supposed to, but she enjoyed staying up late. She loved the feeling of being the last person awake. It felt like she was awake while the rest of the world was asleep. It was a strange feeling. 

Her family went to sleep pretty early. Usually, they were all in bed by ten. So after ten, Serenity had free roam of the house. She tried to stay quiet. She knew which floor boards creaked, how to open her door so it wasn’t squeaky, and which stairs to skip. 

She slid out of her bed near midnight, peeking out the window. Aoiski looked different during the middle of the night. Nobody was awake. It was rare that there’d even be a single car on the streets. She’d see a few people walking around, but not many she recognized. 

Aoiski was small, but there were still people Serenity hadn’t met. People that she didn’t really want to meet either. Serenity perked up when she noticed a light turn on. The lights outside always turned off after midnight. 

The light was coming from too far away from her to see clearly. Serenity turned from her window and pulled her door open, keeping it quiet. She made her way to the stairs, staying clear of boards that creaked under pressure. She went down the stairs and slid out from the front door. 

She wasn’t supposed to be out alone so late, but considering the handful of rules she’d probably broken just from dinner, Serenity was choosing to ignore that one. She shivered a little in the cool air, walking around the house towards where she’d seen the light. 

Lights were almost never on after midnight. Street lights were set on a timer and people turned their house lights off before they went to sleep. She started to feel like she was being watched as she was getting closer to the light source. 

She looked over her shoulder, but there was nobody nearby. She hadn’t realized how eerie it felt for their town to be so empty and dark. Aoiski was only ever quiet during the latest hours of the night. Otherwise, it was vibrant with the people. 

Serenity was sure that nobody liked staying up late because they feared that ghosts and spirits had more power during the night. Serenity thought the fear was ridiculous, but she enjoyed being the only one awake. 

She stopped when she came up to the light source, a little disappointed that it was just an old, plastic lantern sitting on the ground. Nobody was there. Serenity walked over to the lantern. She picked it up and clicked the switch off, looking around for anybody. 

Why would they have left the lantern? Maybe they’d turned it on and heard her coming and left. She didn’t even know what to do with the lantern now. It was wrong to take it, but if she left it, would anybody come back for it? 

Serenity spun around when she heard something, backing up. She was starting to wonder if she was just freaking herself out. There was wind blowing by, so it wasn’t insane to assume that it was just the wind. 

She shut her eyes and blew out a breath. She just needed to calm herself down before she freaked out. She was only scared because there was nobody else around. Nature was the one making all the sounds. 

Serenity felt something grab her arm. She went to spun around, feeling herself being pulled. She went to scream, but a hand clasped over her mouth, muffling any sound that came out. 

“Who are you?” 

Serenity shook her head against the person’s hand. They moved their hand. “Who are you?” 

“Serenity, my name is Serenity.” She said. “What are you doing? What’s wrong with you?” 

“Last name.” 

“Wioax. Serenity Wioax.” Serenity said, trying to pull away from their grip. She was trying to keep herself under control before she burst into tears. “Look, you don’t want to kidnap me or whatever. My family couldn’t care less if I fell off the face of the planet or ceased to exist.” 

“Wioax?” They let go of her arm, pushing her onto the ground Serenity grunted, pushing herself back with her feet. She saw him for the first time and hesitated, trying to recognize him. He crouched down in front of her, searching the fear in her eyes for a moment. 

She moved back when he pushed her hair back with a finger to get a better look. “You don’t look like a Wioax.” 

Serenity paused to look down at herself for a moment. If she and Salvadore were placed next to each other, they didn’t look like they had the same parents. Serenity had fluffy and curly black hair from her mother’s side of the family. Salvadore had blonde hair that was mostly straight. They didn’t look related. 

“I get it from my mother’s side of the family.” Serenity hissed. “What the hell is wrong with you? Who even are you?” 

“Eryx.” He said, backing up from her and standing up. He held his hand up to her, but Serenity refused to take it and got to her feet on her own. “Fair enough. I don’t usually get that many people out during the middle of the night.” 

“Have you ever done that to somebody before?” Serenity asked. “You look young.” 

“You look younger.” Eryx commented. “What are you doing up so late?” 

“What are you doing up?” 

Eryx chuckled. “Cute, but that won’t work with me.” He said. “You’re the Wioax’s second, right? So you’re maybe 16?” 

Serenity crossed her arms. She didn’t like not knowing who Eryx was. In Aoiski, everybody knew who she was and who her family was. “15.” She said. “How old are you?” 

“You’re good at math, right? I’m four years older than you.” 

“That’s not funny.” 

“You didn’t like my math joke?” 

Serenity rolled her eyes. “It might be funny if I was actually good at math.” She grumbled. “I’m the only unexceptional Wioax.” 

“Ouch. That’s got to suck.” 

“Gee, I wonder.” 

Eryx smirked. “So little Serenity, why are you up so late?” 

Serenity sighed. She thought she might have gotten away from that question. She didn’t have any reason to be up so late. “What’s breaking one rule here and there?” Serenity said. “I like being up late.” 

“Don’t you have school?” 

“Don’t you?” 

“I told you that doesn’t work with me.” 

Serenity sighed. “Yes, I have school. Whatever.” She said. “I fall asleep in class, so what? I’ve gotten enough detentions to last me until I’m 30. Aren’t you in college?” 

Eryx laughed, shaking his head. “No, I didn’t go to college. We could never afford that.” He said. “I help my dad run his little bakery. He needs all the help he can get.” 

“Can’t your mother help?” 

Eryx’s expression hardened. “No, my mom left Aoiski when I was six.” He said. “She got tired of small-town life and she left the both of us. So it’s been me and my dad for as long as I can remember.” 

“I don’t think I’ll go to college either.” 

Eryx raised an eyebrow. “You’re a Wioax; you’ll have to go whether you want to or not.” 

“A worthless Wioax that’s interest in art. But according my grandmother, you have to actually be good to be an artist and it’s a waste of time.” Serenity said. “I told you, my parents couldn’t care less if I fell off the face of the universe.” 

“I think that they’d care if all the sudden their daughter went missing and they had to explain it to the town. It’s easier if you’re still existing.” Eryx said. “Why are you out here? A girl like you?” 

“A girl like me? What does that mean?” 

Eryx looked her over. “When’s the last time you saw a mirror? You look more expensive than my house.” 

Serenity’s face went red as she looked down at her clothes. She didn’t like wearing pajamas, so must of the time she just slept in whatever she had been wearing for the day. They had school uniforms, so she pretty much always wore slacks and a button up shirt. 

She looked back at Eryx. He didn’t look that bad. He just had a t-shirt and jeans. She’d kill to just wear a t-shirt, but her parents liked for her to look nice. It was really the least that she could do. 

“I didn’t really think Aoiski was the type of place where somebody pops out of a bush and grabs you.” Serenity murmured. “What are you doing out here?” 

“None of your business.” 

“So you won’t tell me your name or what you’re doing out here, but you get to know everything about me?” 

“Don’t flatter yourself, you’re a Wioax, not a celebrity.” 

Serenity laughed a little. “Wish I wasn’t a Wioax.” 

“Uh huh. Do me a favor and scramble on back home.” Eryx said. “I’m not trying to take care of a little kid.” 

“You mean two little kids?” 

Eryx sent her a glare. “Whatever rows your boat.” 

Serenity turned to leave, but she stopped herself before she walked too far. “You said that your father owns a bakery, right?” 

“Why do you care?” 

Serenity shrugged. “I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then.” 

June 09, 2021 19:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.