0 comments

American Fiction High School

Run, Matt, run!” John shouted as he got tackled down by our pursuers.

The constant running was a norm for those of us who stayed in Midtown, New York. You had to run from the debt collectors and mostly on a Tuesday and a Saturday. You had to run from the bullies at school that was Monday through Friday. You had to run from the bullies out of school that meant every day from January through December. You had to run away from the drug dealers at the street corner and that meant every time you stepped out of the house. But the reason I was on the run right now was not because of any of these groups. It was the group we all were taught to run away from, whether or not you were part of the above-listed group, it was the police.

With the police, there were many reasons why one had to run away. Growing up in Midtown meant that you were born with a label and the one well known as “coke baby.” This label resulted because of stereotypes and to every stereotype there is part truth. I should know since I fall under this category. The other reason being cops talks to snitches and snitches get stitches there I a lot going on in Midtown and most of the people don’t want to be found out.

The huge mistake one can make is be the one person who rats others out. I didn’t know this until I had snitched, if only it had been a minor crime then I would have said but I had snitched on one of the biggest drug dealers. I had managed to become the one catalyst to the downfall of one of the most established dealers. This was an April fool day trick gone wrong

What I did not know then was I had made the worst mistake, by befriending the police. Even at the age of ten everyone knew it, I was the exception. That marked the beginning of my problems, every day became a living hell. At school even the teachers hated me, it was as if I had turned to Judas overnight.

I had shown everyone that I could not be trusted and they couldn’t even give me the benefit of the doubt that I was a boy who did not know the extent of the crime I had committed. The bullies who did not know me ran after me down the corridors in every direction. In less than a month I had managed to get three broken ribs, sprained legs, and a broken nose. People had found their way with me and I had no way to run to. I learned how to temple runs like no other person. I had to find my way in and out of the ghetto like a town’s planner. This went on for more than four years and the worst of these days was April fool’s day. There was the running, the need to escape from the bullies and the constant beatings, and the need to escape from the lies.

The best remedy to an allergy is knowing the cause and trying so hard to avoid it. For me, the need to be right was the cause and people always found their way to use it against me and they always seemed to succeed. April fool’s day was one particular day they always managed to but this year u were not going to be victim. I had devised a plan that I was going to use to escape this horrible day. I had to avoid the main roads to school since my mother had opposed the idea of me not going at all. At school, I had to make sure that I get to class late and get as much detention as I could. That would save me from any misfortunes.

I made my way through the lowly dense areas and I had managed to get to school with no broken bone at least.

“Mr. Moore, are late?” said the head teacher as she stood by the entrance.

“I am sorry, Miss Gory,”

“That would be thirty minutes detention,” she said.

A smirk escaped my lips, my plan was already in motion.

I managed to walk down the corridor with no shoving inside the locker and managed to get to my first lecture.

“Mr. Moore, that’s your first you are late, thirty minutes detention,” my teacher said.

A paper plane flew and hit me on the forehead. This was a small situation I had learned to cope with. The rest of the day involved dodging everyone I thought was a threat. I had managed so hard to make sure I get up to two hours. There were very few people as many people were out pulling pranks on others. Without me their punching bag they had to find another victim and they sure were going to. Maybe it was the goofy Indian kid or that redhead nerd but it had to be their most obvious victims who would have been on their most wanted list if I had not managed to bring it upon myself.

As detention almost came to an end my blood started to get pumped up. The day had come to an end and I had managed to save myself from the terror of the people. I walked out like a hero coming from war., just before I was grabbed by my collar.

Just when I thought I had managed to escape from the terrible April fool’s day, but as it stood I had failed.

“You thought you could run away from us, escape the wrath of the gods!” the person who had managed to become the leader in my tormenting said.

He was part of a gang as I thought but I would never get to find out.

“I am sorry man, but can’t you let me off just for today, as an April fool’s day favor?” I begged.

“Dude you messed, April fool’s was yesterday when I shoved you into your locker, made you drink toilet water, made you steal Mary’s lunch,” he said.

I reflected at it and looked through my book and noticed how I had written the second.

I scolded myself for making such a mistake.

“Dude, we are going to let you off the hook this time,” Nate said as he shoved me into the bin.

I had spent my whole day hiding yet I had been through hell already.


April 01, 2021 13:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.