Colorful Sunrise, Lonely Sunset

Submitted into Contest #99 in response to: Begin your story with somebody watching the sunrise, or sunset.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Inspirational Sad

      Winter always loved sunrises.

     It was kind of ironic. The cold, distant girl with the name literally based off of the harshest season of the year, adored the sun. 

     The way the dark night sky would slowly give way to milky light, which then transitions into brighter oranges and yellows and reds, it felt like the most beautiful thing in the world to Winter. Every morning, she would wake up when it was still dark outside, and sit outside her family’s home to watch the sun climb over the horizon and mark the start to a new day.

     Winter would use the time to think and ponder about what she wanted to accomplish that day. What goals should she set? What tasks should she complete? What did she want to do with her life that day?

     Their cabin was positioned on top of a small hill overlooking Tallwood Lake. It was positioned directly east of their home, which made for the most astounding and beautiful sunrises. And here it came. “Three, two one,” Winter murmured underneath her breath.

     “Zero.”

     Vibrant rays of gold, amber, scarlet, ginger, and lemon poured out from the sun, spreading across the lake in a second. The once dark blue lake was suddenly bombarded with the warm colors of the sun, turned into a painted masterpiece. Winter let a smile slide by, as she embraced the warmth of the sun’s first rays.

     The blacks and blues and indigos of the night began melting away in the light, replaced by warmer shades of dark red and orange. Pale, reddish pinks were scattered here and there. The stars faded as the sun’s rays overwhelmed the distant, sparkling gems.

     “Winter!” Winter let out an inward sigh as she heard the harsh, demanding bark of her father from inside. “Winter, come here now!” This was her cue to leave. She stood up, gave the sun one last longing look, and returned into the house.

     Her Father was standing in the doorway, with a chilling glare and a heart of ice. He looked like a respectable businessman on the outside, but on the inside? Cold, frigid blizzards, void of any traces of warmth. He was cunning, cruel, and truly cared for no one.

     “Winter, what have I told you about spending your mornings doing such wasteful activities such as watching the sunrise?” He chided sharply. “You could be practicing the piano right now! Now get inside, and work on something more useful.”

     “Yes, Father.” Winter suppressed a sigh, and responded with a straight demeanor. But no matter what her father said, nothing could stop her from watching the sunrises. They were one of the few joys in her life, and one that she would cling onto tightly. At least, until she found a better source of comfort.

     Breakfast, piano practice, tutored lessons, lunch, extra math practice, athletics, dinner, violin lessons, sleep, repeat. That was Winter’s usual schedule when she wasn’t out on some worldwide piano or violin competition. The sun would climb up into the bright blue sky, gaze down triumphantly at the world, and then slide back down the horizon again. Only Winter was never watching. Winter was never noticing and admiring its blinding beauty during the day. Winter was always too busy, trapped in a world of isolation.

     Expectations. That was all Father had in his heart for Winter. She had to ace this test, win that competition, go to this board meeting with him to learn more about politics. Father wanted Winter to become someone that would be wealthy. A doctor, or lawyer, or physician, any of the following. Her opinions didn’t matter, all that mattered was upholding the family name.

     Indeed it was a lonely life.

     Winter had never truly explored the surrounding woods and lake around her house. There was no ‘time,’ according to Father. She had to do this and complete that and all that nonsense. But sometimes, she wondered, what if she got the chance to get to know the world around her? The true world around her, not just the stiff old people Father introduced her to. What would it be like? Would everyone be bitter and selfish and angry? Or would they be kind and accepting? That was something Winter longed to know.

     That night, as Winter was idly picking at her roast beef and vegetables, she glanced outside the window and noticed a beauty she had never noticed before. The sunrise’s twin sister. Opposite as can be.

     The sunset.

     Winter’s gaze caught onto the western horizon, where all their cabin could see was an endless forest of pine trees. But despite the lacking view, it did little to hide the true beauty of the sunset.

     It worked in reverse of the sunrise. Instead of sliding up, spreading its beautiful colors for the world to see, the sunset yawned, retracted its warm rays and tucked itself under a blanket of darkness. Winter watched as the last colors of scarlet and vermillion were drawn back by the sun, cold and unwavering blues taking its place.

     Winter felt a sense of loneliness and despair override her as she watched the last glimpses of the sun’s presence fade away into nothing. The night sky was dark, and offered little salvation for her. The moon shed a little light down on the world, but it was just a bitter, sorrowful echo of the sun. It’s younger sister, never able to truly take its place. Winter felt her mood worsen as she continued to stare into the sky, as the stars began to twinkle. 

     “Miss Winter?” Winter was knocked out of her trance by the voice of her Butler. She swiveled her head towards the door, seeing a familiar head of ginger-brown hair pop out from the doorway to her room.

     “It’s late. Your Father sent me to look for you for violin practice.” Her Butler said apologetically. Winter knew she knew how hard things were for her.

     “Tell Father I’m sorry.” Winter responded, standing up. “And I’ll be right there.”

     “Alright.” Her Butler nodded, retracting her head from the doorway and no doubt trodding briskly down the halls to inform her father. Winter let out a sigh, and gave the night sky one last pitying look. 

     One day was ending, and another was about to begin.

June 19, 2021 00:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.