Freedom

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that ends with a twist.... view prompt

2 comments

Mystery

After twelve years of imprisonment, Kelvin is now free. 


Holding his bag, he went straight trait to a house. The house that gave him the most unfortunate memory of his life. 


The cold breeze gave Kelvin shivers, but the pain and anger make him more tremble. 


Mixed and unexplained emotions are what Kelvin felt as he walks inside their old abandoned house for almost twelve years, tears were falling through his eyes as he stands at the doorway.


The whole house was covered with dust and putrid smell as Kelvin crouch and wipe the side the carpet with his two fingers, which turns out to be dried blood.


Kelvin look around him as he heard someone's footsteps, "Hide and seek?" He utters in deadpan before placing a vicious smirk.


Kelvin took a step closer to the table while tears are forming in his eyes. His eyes were very sad and angry. He has this rebellious look as he takes the vase on the table and throws it on the wall and shrieks loudly. 


"I'll make sure someone will pay." He cried as tears fall on his cheeks. The suffocating pain that he felt is all he has for now. And he never gets rid of it for the past twelve years.


For twelve years, he never felt human, he never smiled and barely talked, and if he tends to speak it'll be about taking revenge or talking about blood with tears in his eyes. 


He remains silent. So, nobody knows.


Kelvin was sixteen back then, he was once a normal boy who loves video games and movies. His family was known for their wealth. So, his parents can provide everything he desired, but despite their family's wealth, Kelvin remained humble and kind. Not until a robbery happened. His parents were willing to give up all their wealth for their life, but it turns out to be not just a simple robbery. It's a robbery with their lives. Knowing that they're all sooner to be killed, his parents started to beg for their son's life. Kevin was all blank and shock for all the happenings, he was just empty throughout the whole situation like his soul just leaves his body. That was when the thieves played a game. They hand blank Kelvin a gun, saying that in order for their son to live he has to kill his own parents. The point was when Kelvin lives, he'll be living in hell, and let the suffocating guilt end him.


So, guess what happened next? 

Why is Kelvin in prison for twelve years?


You know the answer.


Kelvin stepped inside the kitchen finding the person who has been making the stepping noises. "Hide and seek?" He utters looking around. "Okey."


Kelvin sprints to the dining room and saw no one. Looking around the dusted walls and pieces of furniture, Kelvin went back to the kitchen and pull a drawer. Without looking at the drawer Kelvin sprints out of the kitchen with a huge knife on his hand. 


The place went darker as Kelvin steps at the staircase leading to the bedrooms. Kelvin holds the hinge of the white door and slowly opened it. No one was there.


The dark hallway was so frigid as the sun fully set. The emotions inside Kelvin's eyes were unreadable, it's not even sad or glad. No one can tell it anymore. 


Kelvin scanned every room until he heard it again. For now, its loud steps was so vivid, it was like someone was running and jumping. Kelvin rushed to the next door where he heard all the noises from. 


A vicious smirk pasted on his face as he slowly walks to the corner of the darkroom, where a person dressed in all white was facing the windows. The smirk doesn't leave his face as he raises the knife towards the person's back. He shrieks loudly as he furiously stabs the person, but after he stabs the knife on that person's body, the person suddenly fades like smoke. Kelvin search around and saw the person beside the dresser that turns out to be a lady facing him. Without hesitation, he screeches and runs towards her holding the knife above his head and stab the person. But again, it vanishes out in front of him like smoke. 


"Kelvin!" She called out.


"Kelvin!" Again.


"Kelvin!!" And again.


The nurse has been calling him out for almost thirty-five minutes, but Kelvin was just looking straight and empty. 


"Kelvin!" She snapped her fingers trying to take Kelvin's attention, but nothing happens.


"Nothing can wake him up... Until he's done." The doctor utters while checking something on the paper.


"How long does it takes him?" The nurse asks.


"One time, it takes him for almost two weeks, not even moving. He will stay like that, blank while sitting on his bed daydreaming." The doctor replied.


"What's the dream about?." The nurse asks.


"He doesn't remember anything when he woke up." The doctor replied.


"That was sad." The nurse replied looking at Kelvin with sympathy. "I pray for his freedom as he's jailed inside his own head. It might be so dreadful there. And, it must have been hard for his parents." The nurse utters still staring at empty Kelvin.


"He was jailed inside his own head, not knowing that the doors were always open. All he needs to do is to step out of that door. But I guess he can't or just not willing to." The doctor explained still looking at her papers. 


"What does that mean?" The nurse asks moving its attention to the doctor.


"I'll explain further, next time." She said before taking the Attention off the paper. "For now, let's go. I still have a lot to show you." She continues and walks out.


"It's my first day here, yet I felt like I have a huge purpose already." She murmurs looking at Kelvin's eyes before rushing out of the room.


Kelvin smiles.


February 06, 2020 02:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tanya M
22:55 Feb 12, 2020

Oooh! This is really chilling, and the end is so unexpected! The way the ending is never completely clear works very well. Good job!

Reply

Paige Weber
07:59 Feb 13, 2020

Thank you Taryn!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.