1 comment

Drama Fiction Sad

It was still dark when Mella pulled her wooly hat over her ears and pushed gloved hands into deep coat pockets.

"I can't believe you're doing this," Jenny said from under the duvet.  

"I can't believe you're not!"

"Why on earth would I want to see him? When he was famous he didn't want to know us. Now he's hoping half a dozen fans remember him and we get invites."  

"Because he's our Daddy," Mella said. "It's the first time he's been home in fifteen years, and I want to see him."

"So let him come here to the house!" Jenny snapped. "He knows Mom's long since passed. Why doesn't he bring his ass over here to us?"

"I don't know," Mella sighed. "But his band is playing a couple of hours away and I want to see him and talk with him."

"Go then," Jenny said pulling the duvet over her head, and Mella banged the door behind her.

The bus ride downtown was long and several times Mella wondered if she was doing the right thing.  

She knew how bitter Jenny was, and she didn't blame her. He'd left them and their Mom to follow his dream of fame as a country music singer, and he'd succeeded. He'd been all over the world, but never once came home. When their Mom was diagnosed with cancer Mella tried to reach him, but nobody knew where he was...Australia maybe?

That was a long time ago and when Mella heard that Rob Robert's and the Rockets were playing a mere bus ride away, she knew she had to go.

Coyote Joe's was not what she expected. They were children when Rob found fame. In the beginning, he'd take his family to see him play. She recalled the venues were always ablaze with lights spelling out his name and her daddie's music could be heard from one end of the street to the other. 

This was very different. The name was highlighted by a string of red bulbs which looked cheap and tacky. Mella didn't remember things being like this. Where were the queues of screaming girls trying to get a glimpse of her dad and his band as they arrived?

A guy at the door asked if she had a ticket and she showed him the invite she'd received by email from her father.

"Lucky you," he said with a sarcastic grin.

Inside was different too. In the past,  arenas were big empty rooms where people stood body to body drenched with sweat while they danced. This place was seated; a bit like a movie house. 

Mella didn't look for her seat number, instead headed upstairs to the bar and 

 ordered a rum and coke.  

She fished in her purse and pulled out her phone.

"Hey," Jenny sounded in better form.  "How's it going."

Mella took a deep breath. "So far, awful, you'll be glad to know. The venue is a dump and there's hardly anybody here." She picked up her glass and gulped.

"I'm sorry I didn't go with you, " her sister said sadly.. "I couldn't stand to watch him be the big shot after what he put us through."

"No fear of that," Mella said. "I'll stay for a while, and catch the last bus home." 

As she hung up a man dressed in black leather jeans that left nothing to the imagination strutted onto the stage. His fringed shirt was fastened with what looked like diamonds. The hat was low shading his eyes, and when he clicked his heels the spurs on his boots had everybody whooping.

"Ya'll here to have a good time?"

The crowd, small as it was erupted.  

"Well without any further delay let me introduce the country legend that is Rob Roberts

Lights flashed on the stage and in the midst of all the fuss Mella saw somebody carry out a high stool.  

And there he was.  

He walked onto the stage, his guitar slung at his hip punching the air and igniting the fans that awaited him into thunderous applause. 

Mella held her breath.  He'd changed. He was smaller in height than she remembered but he'd gained in girth.  His once jet black hair was streaked with grey under the stetson which he wore pushed back on his head.  

"How y'all doing?" he roared. "Are we gonna bring the house down tonight?"

"Bob, where's your band?" A loudmouth in the front row asked.

"Stuck on Highway 64 somewhere. But y'all came to see me and here I am so let's get going.

It took a while for the crowd to warm up. Mella could see the sweat pouring from his forehead and his shirt was drenched.  After a handful of songs, he was out of breath, and Mella was secretly glad when an interval was announced.

She made her way to the lady's room where every other woman in the building seemed to have gathered.  

"What a load of crap," one tall skinny blonde with sky-high heels and red lipstick said. "He should be at my grandma's care home, and I don't mean to entertain."

"Yeah," her friend agreed howling with laughter. "We came to see the Rob Roberts Band. Not some old dude on a stool. We should ask for our money back."

"Or at least free drinks!"

Mella closed the door of her stall and sat listening. Her eyes brimmed with tears at the harsh words. Her daddy was no longer the superstar he once was. But he was still her daddy. When things quieted outside, she washed her hands and returned to her seat at the bar.

"Rum and coke, please," she said. "Large!"  

From the corner of her eye, she saw her daddy enter accompanied by another man.

"This is the biggest disaster since Elvis split his trousers on stage," the man said aggressively. "The crowd's not getting into it. We need the band."

"Well, the band ain't here," Rob said.  "Truth is the band split about six months ago and I've been going solo."

"We booked the band," the man said checking some data on his iPad.

"Well, the band is no more so ya got me. I'll give the crowd what they want."

"Only if they want to see a man have heart failure live on stage!"

" I was always the front man."

"Yeah but now you're in front of nothing. You're past it Rob. We'll have to cut our losses. I'll announce the gig's been canceled and you make yourself scared out the side door."

"But, Mate..."

"Bye Rob."

Mella didn't turn around. She didn't want her daddy to know she'd heard everything.  

After a few minutes, the man in the spurs and diamond buttons walked onto the stage. "Ladies and gentlemen. I'm sorry to tell you that tonight's show has been canceled due to unforeseen circumstances."

"Did the old dude have a coronary?" someone called.

The man laughed. "Rob is as disappointed as you are, but there is a problem with the electricity and we need you to vacate the venue as soon as possible."

"What about our money?"

"All money will be refunded in due course and we will invite you to another gig on the house."

"Not him!"

Mella kept her head down as people began to leave. There was some jeering and asking for the old guy's autograph, but it didn't take long for the place to grow quiet and the lights dim.

"Are you okay, Miss?" the bartender asked as he watched Mella stare into her empty glass. She looked at him with tears in her eyes. "He's my dad," she whispered. Without a word, the man poured her another drink and set it in front of her.  "Take your time, Miss," he said. "I'll be here for hours yet."

"Do you know if he's left?" Mella asked.

"Sorry no. But feel free to wander around. You might find him hold up in some quiet place."

"Thanks. I will."

Mella made her way downstairs and into the main hall. She was shocked to see the amount of trash left after such a short performance. Her foot became stuck to the floor on a piece of discarded chewing gum and she struggled to free it without removing her boot. Sweet wrappers, juice cartons, and beer bottles lay in every aisle. She noticed some of the bottles were on their side and bleeding onto the grey carpet. It would cost a fortune to make this place ready to be trashed again, she mused.

At the end of a row close to the exit, a man sat. His hat was on a seat beside him and his bent grey head was resting in his hands. A lump formed in Mella's throat and she thought it would choke her. Swallowing back, she walked quietly toward him, picked up his hat, and sat.

"Sorry little lady, the show is over," he said without looking up.

"I know." She saw his body stiffen before he raised his eyes to meet hers. "Hey, Dad."

His lip quivered and his eyes pooled with tears that spilled quickly settling in the wrinkles and dimples he'd gained over time.  

"I'm so embarrassed, Sweetie," he gulped.

"Why. This place is a dump. I knew the minute I walked in you'd hate it here."

He nodded at her kindness. "How's Jenny?"

"She's good. So, Dad what are your plans? Have you somewhere to go or somewhere to stay?"

Robert shook his head. "Last booking, for now... forever I'd imagine."

"Where are you staying?"

"Hostle on Main Street."

"Dad. You look done in. Let's go get your stuff and we'll make the last bus home."

"Mella, I can't. After everything. Jenny would go crazy. I'll be fine."

"Jen will be happy to see you. We've really missed you and even though we're not little girls anymore, we still need our Daddy."

"She'll think I'm back because I'm washed out. Nobody wants to hear me anymore. The band has gone their separate ways. I'm not broke," he said holding his head up. "I still have my house in Australia."

"And your wife?"

He shook his head. "Long gone with the next big sensation."

"Okay. Here's what I think. Come home to us for a couple of months. Get yourself together...rested, good food, exercise," she said poking his belly and he grinned. "You can still sing. There are loads of venues that look for a singer with a guitar. Maybe Jenny could do backing for ya."

"Does Jenny sing?"

"Like a bird."

"And you?"

"Like a crow!"

They laughed as they left the theatre hand in hand. While Rob went to get his stuff Mella rang her sister.

"Hey, Guess what?"

"What?"

"I'm bringing Dad home with me." There was silence. "Jen...did you hear me?"

"Yes." There was a sob in her voice. "Just trying to remember what he likes to eat. I'll have the spare room ready."

"Thanks, Jen. I'll tell you all when we get there,"

"Hurry home you two," Jenny said, her eyes shining with happiness.

June 09, 2023 11:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kevin Keegan
17:21 Jun 15, 2023

I really liked your story, it was so real and true to life with well thought out twists and turns, very interesting characters and great dialogue throughout. Well done Lynda.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.