0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

WHAT COULD HAPPEN:

Tom was a young man. He was from poor stock but had largely overcome the consequences through hard work at studies. He was also a good athlete but had sacrificed it for tḥe sake of studies.  He had won a scholarship to a premium institution of higher education and had got through summa cum laud. He was called for interview by a multinational company on a date a week away at 11 AM.

Tom got busy preparing for the interview. He anticipated certain questions and got ready with answers. He had a classmate who had only recently been selected after interview in another multinational firm and he asked him about the questions he had faced.

The friend said “It was to test my intelligence and ability to answer even unexpected questions. I was asked what is something  you don’t want to happen?”

Tom thought a bit and said “Failing in this interview.”

“It is a very good answer. You’ve done well. Here is another question: You join our company and another company offers you a job with more pay what would be your answer?

Tom thought a little and said “I’ll reject the offer as this company had taken the trouble to recruit me.”

“Well said. This was a question I was asked. Now another question I was asked: You learn certain things after joining our company. Your closest friend asks you about what you’ve learnt. Ḥow would you answer?”

“I’ll reveal nothing.”

The friend said “Your answers are convincing. Another friend was asked this question: You’re given a paid holiday: Where would you choose to go and why?”

Tom answered back “I’ve never been anywhere so far. So I really don’t know the answer.”

The friend said “One more question put to a candidate in a selection interview. You are stranded on a desert isle carrying a book containing some company secrets and are awaiting rescue. What action will you take?”

Tom said “I suppose I should say that I’ll keep the book safe till rescue.”

Friend laughed and said “It seems the expected answer was I’ll burn the book so that none can access it. After all company documents can be re-accessed.”

“Many thanks for helping me. I need one more help from you. Loan me your scooter for the day of the interview as it is to be in a distant suburb difficult to reach by metro.”

“Sure. You’re welcome to take it any time. I don’t use it these days. I’ve joined a car pool though I haven’t got a car myself!”

The day of the interview dawned. Tom was up and ready quite early. He had brought his friend’s scooter the night before and filled it with fuel. He had checked the tyre pressures and found them normal.

 He went to a restaurant and had a leisurely breakfast. He drew on his suit and at 9.30 AM was ready to go. He drew on his ḥelmet and rode to the interview venue. There he parked and locked ḥis ḥelmet and scooter. He smoothed down the ḥair on his head as he looked into his mobile phone and was ready to face the interviewers. He waited until he was called and then entered the interview chamber where three members sat. They seated him and made him comfortable asking him easy technical questions.

Then came the more difficult questions. One member said “Tom I’m sure you’re aware of ḥoney trapping.”

Tom wasn’t prepared for such a question. He said “Yes. I’ve heard about it and have read newspaper reports about such happenings.”

“In case you’re sent to a different geographical location and are befriended by a woman – a stranger - how will you cope?”

Tom was silent a moment.

The interviewer with a smile prompted “I hope my question was clear?”

Tom said “To tell the truth I was totally unprepared for the question. I will only say I won’t allow my loyalty to my company to be compromised by my association with the female sex.”

The selector said “You’ve answered it rigḥt. We appreciate your candor.”

The man who looked to be the head interviewer said “Thank you Tom. You may wait outside.”

Tom got up and walked out. He took his seat in a chair outside. He was surprised when a young lady came asking for him. She said “Mr.Tom, congratulations!  You’ve been selected. The appointment order will be issued to you in an hour if you can wait.”

Tom said “Thank you madam.”

The woman said “We don’t use words like madam. Now we’re going to be colleagues. Call me by my name Sheela.”

He said “Sheela I’ll wait.”

Tom looked forward to a great future.

WHAT HAPPENED:

Tom was ready early that morning. He checked the borrowed scooter and found it satisfactory. Since he had enough time he felt like having a leisurely breakfast at a restaurant nearby. It was crowded and since elections were approaching a number of party workers filled the seats.

One man said to Tom “My party promises to ……..”

Tom merely listened to the copious words flowing out of the party man’s mouth. The man said “So remember to vote for the ceiling fan which is our insignia.”

After breakfast Tom suddenly realized he had left his purse at home. He spoke to the restaurant manager and was allowed to go home to bring tḥe money. Tom left and was soon back. He paid the bill and went home. At about 9.30 pulling on his helmet Tom was on his way to the interview. He was confident of answering the questions. On the way he had to join the newly constructed highway which was full of traffic. He drove on carefully when suddenly a truck ahead abruptly braked to a halt. Tom hadn’t anticipated it and braked. Another scooter rammed into his. There was a war of words between Tom and the man who drove the scooter which had slammed his. A police prowl car now joined and Tom was halted. Road rage surged and someone pointed to Tom saying he was the one who suddenly braked and nearly hit the truck. Police took cognizance of what was alleged and said that Tom couldn’t proceed until enquiries were completed. He pleaded that he was on his way to an interview and should be allowed to go. But police were adamant. By the time they could complete enquiries it was well past 11 AM. He reached the interview venue after 11.30 AM.

There Tom was told that due to certain reasons the interview had been postponed to a week later. Tom was relieved. He again hoped he would succeed in the interview on the new date.

END

April 29, 2023 12:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.