The Train to Berlin

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that takes place on a train.... view prompt

1 comment

General

Our journey by truck from Siberia to Hamburg had been murder. The cold seeped into our very souls and refused to leave no matter the clothing we wore and the coffee we consumed. The whole uncomfortable trip I worried greatly for our precious discovery, cursing my fiancé Doctor Herman Frederick as he seemingly picked every pothole he could spot along the road we traveled. We both breathed a sigh of relief as the lights of Hamburg came in to view. It gladdened my heart to be amongst civilization again; the comforts of a decent meal and a large bed with two thick quilts. It was a wonderful change from camping in a canvas tent within the old cells of the Siberian prison camp. That was where the Order had sent us though searching for something few knew existed.

My beloved booked our train tickets that night from the hotel lobby and the night we spent in Hamburg was comfortable but restless.

I felt far more relaxed as our monstrous discovery was safely loaded aboard the train to Germany’s capital and we were seated in our shared cabin. An elderly woman joined us, settling in and beginning her knitting.

“Look, darling Venus rises,” I announced, staring skyward as the train pulled out and the second leg of our journey began. The Evening Star twinkled, alone in the inky blue before it was joined by other pinpricks of light.

“Good evening Artz and Artzin Fredrick,” stated the old woman, not looking up from her needles. Her familiarity surprised us. My fiancé recovered first.

“Good evening alte Frau,” Doctor Frederick replied. “Do we know of you?”

“No, but I do know of you both, as do so many others on this train,” replied the lady. Her knitting stopped and she stared at the both of us. “Leave this train and your discovery, else you will die.”

“What is the meaning of this!” cried my love, swiftly moving from his seat to confront this strange old woman. Just as quickly, the old crone struck out with one of her needles stabbing my fiancé through the left eye. The old woman stepped slightly left as Doctor Fredrick slumped forward and face-planted the seat in front. I screamed as the needle point suddenly burst out the back of his skull. Without another thought I ran, narrowly avoiding the other needle as the old woman attacked again.

“To run away is to shy from your destiny!” stated the old woman loudly. I did not hang back to discover what she referenced. Instead I grasped my freedom and fled. My beloved was beyond help, I only had myself and our discovery to think of now.

As the train entered a tunnel I swiftly made my way to baggage, needing to see the frozen statue we had dragged from the ice. As I ran I felt a hand upon my shoulder.

“Artzin! What you have uncovered should never have been,” whispered a voice in my ear.

I seemed surrounded and weaponless with only my wits to save me. I thrust back with my free elbow, hearing a satisfactory grunt. Turning upon my assailant I discovered a familiar face, Professor Lucian Greggory of the London Museum of the Macabre. Lucian and Herman had been comrades since studying at the same university but we had not seen the man in years. His teaching had kept him grounded at Oxford while our work for the Order had sent us on a multitude of global adventures.

“Herman is dead!” I said, watching my fiancé’s close friend for a reaction to this news.

“I know, Helen,” replied Professor Greggory as his bristly features contorted into a show of deep sadness. “I witnessed my poor friend lying in a pool of his own blood as I came by your cabin to give warning.”

“Warn us of the crazy old woman? Sadly you are too late.”

“No Helen,” said Lucian. “The woman is but one of the Shadows of Chaos… They wish to bring about the end of all things…”

I stared back at him blankly, unsure what this had to do with Herman and I.

“I have no time to explain!” Professor Greggory added gruffly. “Know only that I wish you no harm, only to destroy this thing you and Doctor Fredrick have unearthed,” said the Professor. As the tunnel ended he thrust a Beretta into my palm. “The old woman is not their only member… Use it on any who draw near,” were Lucian’s parting words for me.

Professor Greggory then brandished a Kalashnikov, stored within his trench coat. Dramatically he rushed forward with the muzzle flashing. I then caught the distinct sound of chanting clearly coming from the luggage cart. As the train continued its journey the sound grew louder, more urgent.

“You are too late!” announced the old woman, gleeful and insane. She had somehow come past Professor Greggory and I immediately worried that he too had been murdered.

Although I held Lucian’s pistol in my hand my first instinct was to flee. I turned away and moved swiftly toward the chant. It had become fever pitched; I realized at that moment a count-down was close to completion. As I burst through the door between rail cars I found the luggage compartment floor littered with opened crates and cases.

“Stop immediately!” I demanded, brandishing my weapon in shaking hands.

Six figures dressed in black robes thrust a rainbow of colored crystals toward a building flame.

There was a final cry from them before the precious stones were hurled into the crackling blaze.

My finger quivered on the Berretta’s trigger but something made me stall.

Behind me I heard a crack, in horror I sensed the ice giant stir.

Then it rose. Stone become flesh. As I turned to witness I was affronted by a true phantasmagoria. What my fiancé had assumed to be a giant idol was naught of the sort. Instead it was a living, breathing creature, an alien giant or some forgotten beast of ancient times.

“Take us! Welcome your servants into your New World!” chorused the six dressed in black. I heard them approach from behind me as they strode confidently forward to embrace the horror they had summoned to life. The creature’s tentacles surrounding its maw flickered and one by one the members of the dark cult clutched at their temples and slumped forward. Blood dribbled from one ear, each member showed a twisted smile.

Turning back to face the giant I risked looking into its sole eye. My mind filled with forbidden knowledge. I felt my mouth and ears fill before my blood began to run from my every orifice. As I fired all six shots in a vain effort to save humanity the bullets ricocheted, striking me instead. To my horror this was not enough. A claw beckoned and I slid forward. In moments I was close enough. The giant leaned and the tentacles brushed my face tenderly as the creature consumed my very soul.

February 01, 2020 06:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tim Law
11:45 Feb 06, 2020

This story was half written when the prompt arrived. I fleshed it out and found it felt more whole.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.