5 comments

Coming of Age Creative Nonfiction Contemporary

Barbara, a gifted storyteller, called the picturesque town of Highink her home. Nestled among rolling hills and lush forests, the town boasted towering trees that seemed to whisper tales of a bygone era. From the depths of her creative abyss, Barbara conjured characters, breathing life into seemingly lifeless words on her journal's pages.


Highink's citizens were captivated by her grand tales, immersing themselves in the enchanting worlds she wove. However, even this master storyteller grappled with a formidable foe familiar to many writers: writer's block.


Time seemed to lose its meaning as seconds turned to minutes, minutes to hours, and hours to days. A wooden desk held Barbara captive, suffocating her, as her arm resisted movement. Leather-bound pages awaited her pen, yet silence persisted.


Trapped, Barbara yearned for escape. She galloped along glistening, stone pathways, seeking inspiration within the enchanted forests surrounding her. Among whispering leaves, rustling trees, and babbling brooks, her creativity still eluded her like a fleeting dream. Ideas slipped through her fingers, like grains of sand slipping through an open palm, evading capture with every attempt.


Disheartened, she returned to her desk, where blank pages taunted her, reflecting her creative struggles. Seeking solace, she wandered to the town square, hoping for inspiration. But instead, the townsfolk questioned her absence. Once an engaging storyteller, Barbara vanished like a magician's act, disappearing amidst smoke and mirrors. People longed for her captivating stories, but she asked for their patience.


When someone inquired, "How difficult is it to write a story?" she struggled to find the right words, her voice silenced by the weight of uncertainty. Feeling lost and disconnected from her creative muse, she fled, questioning why fate had forsaken her talent. Why couldn't she pen her thoughts down?


In the darkness of her struggle, her words flickered away like elusive fireflies, leaving her feeling isolated and alone. Sorrow pounded in her heart as she grappled with her emotions, yearning for the motivation to rekindle her soul's passion.


Then, one fateful day, as the sun dipped below the horizon, she caught sight of her reflection in its orange glow. The once-confident radiance now waned, replaced by moonlit uncertainty. Drifting into slumber, she pondered the elusive words, refusing to materialize on the page.


As she awakened, her eyes were drawn to a key resting on her nightstand—an ancient toy, a gift from her wise and wrinkled former teacher, Mr. Sombers. Attached to the key was a gleaming golden envelope, shimmering with promises of hope.


Eagerly, she opened it, which read, "Come to Somber's Store, a bookstore on the outskirts of town. Writing is what your spirit tells you."


Memories flooded back, recalling the impact Mr. Sombers had on her as one of her first teachers, igniting her passion for writing. He was a firm advocate of breaking down barriers, believing that everyone, regardless of income or status, deserved the power of the written word.


Despite facing dismissal for his radical methods, he bestowed upon Barbara a key and a note, reassuring her that weariness was a shared human experience, and trust in one's journey was paramount.


With newfound determination, Barbara embarked on a quest, scouring every store in Highink. The town chuckled at the sight of a struggling writer in despair, unaware of the strength and courage that fueled her search for Mr. Somber's Bookstore.


Finally, she stumbled upon the hidden gem, with its marble roofs, wobbly walls, and steadfast lighting. As she stepped inside, an elderly gentleman emerged from his post behind the counter.


Glistening rows of manuscripts loomed over her like a tower, evoking a sense of awe and wonder. "Hello, Barbara, it's a pleasure to see you again," he bellowed warmly.


Perplexed, Barbara asked, "Can you help me? I can't write anymore. I need to be able to tell stories to the townspeople again. I need them to respect me again."


He nodded, his demeanor calm and wise. "Why do you believe you are struggling?"


She asked tentatively, "I don't know. I can't speak anymore. My arm won't move, and my thoughts race like wild currents. My ideas escape me; my desk feels like a prison. I used to be talented, but now I've lost my magic."


"Do you ever get writer's block?" she inquired, sharing her struggle.


"It is as common as the moon rising. The question is how you face it. That's why I taught my students to write freely. Inspiration comes from all sources."


Barbara interrupted, "Then, how do you overcome it?"


Mr. Sombers closed his notebook and turned to her with a wise smile. "Writing comes from your own experiences: it could be your loss, immersed in darkness, or your proudest achievement sharing stories with the masses. It could be children's laughter, nature's mysteries, or the kindness of people."


He paused for a moment, smiling. "You may think you are alone, but thousands experience what you have, and such is life. In this pursuit of creativity, we forget to breathe. We forget to live. We focus too much on one color, instead of seeing a rainbow. We do not experience life in its fullest splendor."


"So, what's the secret ingredient to writing?" Barbara inquired.


"There is no secret ingredient. You just have to embrace life's highs and lows. You have to break free from your cage; you cannot truly write unless you set yourself free."


"Why are you here then? Why are you trapped here? You could be famous!"


"I do not need to be famous, Barbara. So many people are trapped in this cycle of moving up; I guess that is why I got fired from your school. I did not follow what society considered acceptable teaching. I just lived a peaceful life, not warped by fantasy."


"How does that help me?"


"Use my life as a guide, Barbara. Writers find their greatest inspiration by persistence. Embracing your fears can lead you on a grand journey. This experience is necessary. You must find beauty in the ordinary."


"Why did you get fired? You could have appealed, right?"


"What would that do? The administrators and I had creative differences, but I stood up for what I believed was right," he said confidently.


He paused, "That is what your writing must be. Hearing criticisms from others is fine, but sometimes listen to your own heart to see what you believe is right. We have our own beliefs, and we can all pen them. That's what makes writing so magical."


"Thank you." She walked out, knowing she had new knowledge.


Barbara realized this essential truth: writing is more magical than ever imagined. Experiencing writer's block helps one develop perseverance and accept creative inspiration's natural ups and downs.


Growing a flower necessitates dedication, patience, and meticulous care. However, the end outcome is an awe-inspiring spectacle that justifies all the hard work. Writing resembles that hard work.


Each moment was a precious step on her artistic odyssey, whether prolific or stagnant.

July 24, 2023 05:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Kevin Logue
16:34 Jul 30, 2023

Firstly, brilliant user name and if that is your real name, you have brilliant parents! I really enjoyed this tale, the content and message is one that is relatable to alot. Your descriptive prose has a real nice flow and lovely scene setting. Look forward to reading more of your work.

Reply

22:44 Jul 30, 2023

Thank you, Kevin. I'll go read some of your stories. :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:33 Jul 26, 2023

I always enjoy stories about writers and writing. You def use a technique that I often to unblock myself when I find it hard to write about a topic. Look at it from a completely different dimension or POV. I also agree with your message to just keep going.

Reply

04:37 Jul 26, 2023

Thank you so much, Scott. Do you have any suggestions or ways for me to improve it at all? You are one of my favorite writes and you know how to write jokes so well. My weakness is my comedy, as I like to make things very serious and philosophical!

Reply

04:44 Jul 26, 2023

For comedy, exaggerating things to 10x as big as the original thing you want to say, can be a good start for comic situations. for example, you can have.. writers having a writing block convention where 500 people stare at a blank screen..before they all start complaining about each other by writing it down. stuff like that. I'm the other way, I'm not good at writing drama, which needs a lot of internal thinking which you are very good at. Maybe give a try at writing an extreme heavy drama, and then writng a v silly comedy?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.