Can two people share the same secret

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story that either starts or ends with someone asking, “Can you keep a secret?”... view prompt

0 comments

General

“Can you keep a secret?”, Shelia says as she looks to see if anyone is near, where you both are standing.  You hold out your pinky, as does Sheila.  You both make a pinky promise and kiss your own thumbs.   Shelia is your best friend since third grade.  This secret pinky promise has been your way of putting secrets into your BBF’s vault, where it will never escape. “Ok”, you say “Tell meeeee”!!!!  

Shelia looks at her fashionable fossil watch.  She gasps and breathlessly gets out, I’ll call you soon. Opens her car door, and speeds away. 

Puzzled you grab your candy red apple lip gloss.  You Smack your lips looking into your side mirror of your 2020 Ferrari Portofino. You wink at yourself as you put the car into gear and step on the gas in your favorite pink Mary Janes. 

You arrive at your studio, your home away from home. You are bursting with such Joy, to be at work. You greet everyone with a ingenious smile. Immediately the whispering begins at the coffee station. You look over at them and smile even bigger, taking long strides like you were walking down a catwalk. 

Just as you turn into your office, “Stephanie”, you hear your name. Just your head swivels in the direction of the voice. You come to an immediate halt and turn your whole body to face the voice. 

You blink, blink-blink-blink you finally stutter Marky Mark, AHHHH, OMG!  He chuckles, trying to be modest and gentlemanly says “I go by Mark Walhberg, now. He extends his hand to you, you offer your hand in return. You open your mouth and you have no words. Inside your brain, you scream SAY HELLO!!  All you can do is smile and look him directly in the eye. 

He removes his hand from yours and says goodbye. You lift your arm but only use your hand to wave bye-bye and a goofy smile smeared across your face, until he was out of site. You spin around and look at your team and begin to jump up and down. “That was MARKY MARK!!!” You say in a scream whisper as you slide into an open chair. 

You finally collect yourself and return to your office. You shut the door, no interruptions even if it is Marky Mark. You click on the radio and hear the DJ announce Halestorm will be playing at the Brooklyn Bowl. Call now for two free tickets. You seem to be bouncing in your seat as you dial the radio station. “Hello, whose this?  This is Stephanie. Well Stephanie you are our 25th caller, you are our winner!!  Please hold for further instructions. “ Almost holding your breath, You try to slow your breathing by breathing thru your nose. In your head you are screaming “HALESTORM, FUCK YA!  Then the voice on the phone takes your information and tells you where to get the tickets at the arena.

Brrrrrring, Brrrrrring, Brrrrrring “Oh shit, my phone...where is that little bitch, ah, yep...got it. You look at the screen, it’s Shelia. You shout “SHELIA” “yes, I’m calling you about making plans. But nows not a good time,  I’ll call you later, bye-bye.” The phone is dead. You immediately thought not to ask Shelia to go to the concert with you. 

On the way home you stop at the Casino and drop $50 on Black at the roulette wheel. BOOM-you won. Cash out and straight for the teller.  A crisp 100 bill in my hand. You head out to Valet, you give that crisp bill to the valet that brings your car around. He is so pleased and gives you his personal card on his parking services. You squealed in delight and drove off. 

Brrrrrring, Brrrrrring, Brrrrrring “hel”-“hi it’s Shelia can you meet me for lunch”, “now” I ask. “No at three.” It was only 1030. “Yeah, I th-“ “Wait, what was I thinking I’m not available at 3.” When she stops to take a breath, You jump in “YOU OWE ME A SECRET!!!”  “I know, and it’s a GOOD one, ok, bye,  I’ll call you bye”. And she was gone again. 

“WHERE THE FUCK AM I”, you think quietly.  Still trying to brush off Shelia’s serious flakiness. Finally your next destination popped in your head, paws and claws beauty shop for a mani and pedi.

Ding-Dong, the bells chime as I open the door. “Pick your colors.”  So you choose Barbie pink and red for the flowers they put on your big toe. This is the only time in your week, you love that the hardest choice you have to make is what color. You savor this time and have never shared it’s location. You want this luxury all to yourself. 

Well all pampered.  What to do now? You look at your phone it says 2:30pm. Hmmmmm, uhhhhhhh, you think to yourself while the lady swipes your card.   You sign the receipt and turn to leave.  You glance in the mirror as you walk out,  and realize Shelia is your Best Friend. You have to take her to the concert. 

You notice the leather on your seats is warm from the sun. You quickly turn on the air and say dial Shelia. Busy!

Brrrrrring, Brrrrrring, Brrrrrring-you five across your bed for your phone. Hhheelloo you say panting. “Stephanie?” “Yes.” “Sheila?” “Yes.”  Finally catching your breath, you speak clearly into the “who is this?”  “It’s Shelia, bitch, turn up your hearing aid.  she joked. I half laughed-half offended. Then I was in hysterical laughter.  Listen you say, I have to tell you something so don’t cut me off, hang up or walk off on this phone call. I NEED your full attention. Shelia agreed. I told her my morning, meeting Marky Mark and acting like a moron and then about winning the radio contest!  Then I listen to the other end of the phone...SHUT UP!!  Shelia begins to recall her day out loud to me, the reason she was acting like a spazz, is a client promised her tickets to the show, but he kept dodging her phone calls. 

We use valet, as we walk into the venue I ask Shelia what was the big secret?  She smiles like a Cheshire Cat and whispers in my ear.  Crossing through the doors, is like crossing into a new Dimension. A world of love, rock and a tingle soared through my body. I knew we were in for one hell of night.  

August 15, 2020 14:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.