1 comment

Crime Asian American Friendship

  “Yeah! Some guy commissioned a capybara-themed blouse for his partner.” 

  Amanda chuckled at the story Polly told to her. She glanced at the unscratched lottery ticket laying on on her coffee table and grasped the tiny piece of paper into her hand. She then proceeded to get a penny out of her pocket and scrape the ticket. 

  Polly and Amanda had been friends for 8 years. They became so because they  had a shared love for the same anime in 6th grade. They were 2 very gorgeous looking young women. Amanda was a thin, Korean woman with black, straight hair and dark brown eyes. Polly was a slightly muscular Irish lady with orange locks and bright green eyes. 

  “You really should stop buying those lottery tickets. That crap is a scam, trust me. The most I’ve won is $10,” Polly remarked to her close friend. 

  “Well, you never know. Besides, I really want to help pay for my mom’s chemo,” Amanda sighed. The past few years were quite difficult for Amanda. Her mother was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. She often vented to Polly about already dealing with the loss of her father as a teenager, and that the thought of losing her mother as well constantly raced through her mind. It didn’t help that her apartment was a bit decrepit and that she suffered from clinical depression.

    However, at that moment, Amanda’s mood immediately seemed to have switched when she analyzed the newly scratched ticket. “Oh my god. I won. I really won! 5 million dollars! This is amazing! This is the happiest day of my life!” She exclaimed. 

  Polly watched in envy as her friend pranced around the old loft. What makes her better than me? She pondered. 

  “Congrats I guess…But I  need to go,” Polly stated, trying to hide her obvious jealousy, “Those clients aren’t gonna design their own attire.” 

  “I understand,” Amanda responded, wiping a tear of glee from her dark brown eye, “I need to call my mom anyway.” 

  A few days later, Polly was working on a skirt for a client when she heard the doorbell ring. She opened the door to reveal a large package containing an expensive-looking sewing machine and a note

 “Hey bestie,” the note read, “As you know, I recently became a millionaire and have been very busy buying a new house. I’m sorry if I haven’t been keeping up with you earlier. I have bought you this sewing machine to make your job easier. Lots of love, Amanda.” Polly tightly clenched the piece of paper in her hand. 

  That should be me! She yelled internally, I work so hard and still I buy from the thrift store! I mean, I should appreciate the fact that she at least bought me this sewing machine….Ah! Who am I kidding?! With her money, this thing costs a quarter!

  Trying to get her mind off of the situation, Polly turned on her television. There was a documentary on about murderers who never got caught on one of the channels. The fashion designer then came to the realization that she could technically kill her friend and make it look like an accident. She was shocked at this thought that randomly appeared in her head. She then considered the amount of wealth that was on the line. Polly determined that her life-long dream of becoming rich was more important than some silly old friendship. It seemed as though she got a degree in fashion for nothing. She was barely making ends meet with her business, and she was sure that her parents were staring at her from the afterlife with great disappointment.  And so, she began to devise a plan. She decided that she would go to Amanda’s new mansion at around 6 PM. They would talk for a while, then Polly would suggest taking a stroll through the garden. She would proceed to stab Amanda with a kitchen knife  she had hiding under her skirt. She would then dispose of the knife in the river and shriek as if she witnessed the murder take place instead of committing it. A family member would then dash to the location and Polly would claim that her pal was devoured by a bear. While everyone was mourning the loss of the young woman, Polly would sneak in the safe and steal the riches for herself. It seemed like a genius plan. Polly smirked and proceeded to dial Amanda.

 “Hey Amanda! Want to meet up at around 6?” She asked. 

  “Uh…Sure! I have time!” Amanda responded.

   “Ok! I’ll get ready! See ya!” 

  “Can’t wait to see you! Bye!”

  “Bye!” Polly hung up and let out a snicker. This was a great idea. She was about to accomplish her dream of being wealthy. 

  Polly got out of the Taxi and glared at the luxurious home. Her envy increased the more she looked at it. It was a large, two-story mansion with a pool and garden accompanying it. It was made out of white concrete and must’ve cost at the very least 500,000 dollars. 

  I can’t believe she bought herself a freaking mansion and only got me a stupid sewing machine! Polly thought. Her thoughts were interrupted by Amanda coming to embrace her. 

  “Hey bestie!” The millionaire yelled excitedly. 

   “Hey there,” The fashion designer replied, “Can I come in.” 

  “Of course! Let me just unlock the door!” 

  Amanda opened the door for Polly. The red-head entered the room and sat down on the leather sofa.

  “Want some wine?” Amanda asked, carrying a bottle of wine in both of her hands. 

  “Uh sure…” Polly responded. She took a sip of the alcoholic beverage. It tasted extremely bitter to her, which, in her opinion, was rather odd. 

“So…What do you think about the wine?” Amanda questioned. 

  “It’s a bit bitter.” 

   “Oh how funny!” Amanda’s tone slightly shifted to a more relaxed manner, as she let out a sigh of happiness, “Ya know, Polly, you’ve been a great friend to me for all these years.” 

  “Thanks. It’s my duty I guess.” Polly felt a sense of guilt and reconsidered whether or not she should go through with her plan. Out of nowhere, she felt a wave of drowsiness crash down on her as well. 

  “You look tired,” Amanda commented in a slightly concerned manner. 

  “I guess I am. It’s  Probably because I’ve been working all day.” 

   “Aww! You poor thing! Just rest here. I will get you some blankets.” 

  Polly proceeded to lay down on the sofa and drift off to sleep. The last thing she heard was Amanda’s signature giggle. 

  A couple of months later, Amanda was preparing beef stew for her family. She was widely known since childhood to be a good cook. As her family was devouring the meal, a conversation sparked regarding Polly. 

  “What happened to that friend of yours?” Her brother inquired. 

  “Last time I checked, she was resting,” Amanda replied. 

  “That’s unfortunate that you haven’t seen her since,” Her mother stated as she consumed the beef stew, “This is a lovely dinner by the way!” 

 “Thank you!” Amanda exclaimed with a smile, “I heard it’s quite popular in Ireland.” 

August 18, 2022 23:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mark Linsky
22:48 Aug 24, 2022

Hi Jace: As we all know fate can be fickle, rewarding one and not another. Lots of things to write about when it comes to winning the lotto, Great premise. Jealousy, incredulity, etc. Play this out with more detail. Maybe there always was an underlying tension in the friendship? Maybe Polly had other resentments? Amanda did as well? Get into each woman's head and let the reader hear their thoughts. The end confused me a little, you're lots of words short of the 3,000 limit, don't be afraid to play things out more fully. Mark.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.