1 comment

Teens & Young Adult Coming of Age Sad

She didn’t want to be here. A sentiment she displayed with an annoyed expression which her mother always compared to a phone submerged in water because much like a phone screen her face was frozen. The comparison was far off. Her annoyed expression wasn’t permanent, she did feel other emotions. They just seemed to never appear with this family or this town for that matter. 

As she walked, anyone who caught a glance of her found themselves quickly scuttling away in fear of becoming entwined with the dark vibes she emitted. She walked with slump shoulders, wearing an outfit that made her feel like her mommy dressed her. Which, admittedly, she did and worst of all her mother was wearing an outfit that matched. Yes, she was now living every teenager's worst nightmare. A family outing with matching outfits. Though, she wasn’t sure “family outing” was an appropriate term for whatever this was because one would have to have a resemblance to one to consider it so.

Her parents were divorced, and her father lived in a whole different state now. They both claimed to have drifted apart, but it was obvious their goals were always on opposite sides of the field. Her dad was all about sports and having a small-town life. His view had changed, however, once he started coaching her sister, and he had even quit his day job to focus entirely on her future career. While her dad lived for the game her mother bathed in the spotlight, but it had also made her resentful because she had thrown all of her dreams overboard for him.

Her parent’s marriage was officially laid to rest on the day her dad had suggested they move out to an area with more opportunity. Her mother had refused, knowing that a bigger area meant less attention, and she needed attention. Although, one must wonder if another life had flashed throughout her mom’s mind. 

Now, she and her dad spoke every other week on a video call where he asked her questions with interest, but she could sense his boredom. Her life so far was aimless. She didn’t have any dreams to drown. She wasn’t ever going to be as sporty as her sister, handing her a ball would just somehow end up with her smacking herself in the face with it. Her sister, however, was pro at birth. She also got more than a call every other week from their dad. He called her almost daily, and they had an unbreakable bond. 

She, however, had a bond with no one. She and her mom constantly argued. Not only that, but she and her sister didn’t get along. They never argued but they both acted like they were two different planets who would never align. This week, her sister was back home, gracing everyone with her celestial presence. Everywhere they went someone stopped them, acting like her sister was a fallen star they needed to make a wish on. And of course, they did, she was the golden standard of daughters, wasn’t she? 

She didn’t know what was worse when people acted like she wasn’t there and treated her like an unwanted trampled flyer. Or the times when she was acknowledged and told she should be so thankful that she had such an amazing sister. It was so aggravating! Over the years, she had waited patiently for her sister to finally mess up. She never did because, of course, she wouldn’t. 

Meanwhile, when it came to herself everything always went wrong. Her grades were never steady. She sucked at everything she tried and for some reason, people never seemed to want to stay around her. She assumed it was because they were comparing her with her sister. After all, everyone always did. In her mind, there could never be any other reasons. Though one must wonder how different her story would be if she had ever dwelled on the effects of her own actions. Or if she truly understood the ripples that other’s actions left. 

Now, she stewed because her mother had dragged her to this stupid cheese festival, bringing on the worse encounters of them all. It wouldn’t just be one or two people stopping them every 5 minutes but a crowd. A crowd who adored the town sport’s superstar who was putting this trash heap of a town on the map. 

Why would anyone want to come anywhere where they have an annual cheese festival is beyond her? She’s been at this festival for an hour now, and she still hasn’t gotten used to the cheesy smell. Her stomach feels queasier and queasier with every whiff. Everywhere she walked her eyes are attacked by tacky decor. If she saw one more cheese grate cut-out she was going to scream. Speaking of screaming, her ears felt stuffed with the insane amount of crying children and booming chatter everywhere. She just wished that everyone could be quiet! 

Sadly, she’s never got her way, so the crowd won’t just dissipate and fall into silence. In a world where she could control the outcomes, she would make it, so her parents never divorced, and her sister wasn't a perfection incarnate. In that world, maybe people would finally see her. Her father would speak to her like he wanted to. Her mother wouldn’t overcompensate with these stupid matching outfits and maybe just maybe her mother would finally stop longing for attention. In this world, she could be happy. She could be someone.

In reality, she was lost. Her mother’s matching outfit was nowhere in the crowd of people around her. She walked off in the opposite direction assuming that she lost her mother to one of the stalls. As she walked, the lights of the stalls seem dimmer. The crowds get smaller and quieter. Everything feels almost peaceful. 

Until she found herself surrounded by emptiness. No crowds. The stall lights look broken and there’s no one running them. Anyone else would’ve turned back, running to the bumbling crowds and terrible smells, but she moved forward with a smile. 

This was better. It was also creepy, and she preferred creepy over having to pretend to be a loving family. As she thought this, she spotted her mom. Reluctantly, she moved forward, not feeling up to arguing. 

“Mom!” She called before approaching her. Her mom turned back, looking at her with analyzing eyes as if she’s never seen her before.

“I’ve been looking for you everywhere.” Her mom answered back with cheer. “We should get going.”

“Without-“ She paused, her mind blanking. She was thinking of someone but no image could form.  

“Come on, dear. We’ve got to get home.” Her mom said, starting to moving forward.

Her feet, however, stay planted as her mind tries to conjure the person she thinks they left behind. No one appears, but she finds herself insistent that someone should. Her mom stopped, looking back at her with concern.

“Sweetheart, if you’re worried about your father he’s already in the car.” She informed, her tone comforting. “He’s probably fiddling with the radio wondering where we are.”

A thought flickered in her head, but it fizzles out quick. If she held to it long enough and let it take root, she would have an unshakable feeling that something wasn’t right. She would eventually remember that her dad was nowhere near here and try to find her way back home. 

“Dad’s always fiddling with the radio.” She responded with a laugh and then ran to catch up with her mom. 

She walked by her mom’s side, and soon they reach a parking lot. There were no cars there and when she turned around to ask her mom why…well, she found herself consumed. In the monster’s stomach, she lied. She didn’t want to be there, but she had made her choice.

May 14, 2021 17:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Miranda No
22:24 May 23, 2021

This is such a well done story! Looking forward to what you’ll give us in the future.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.