2 comments

Bedtime Fiction Mystery

Once upon a time there was a very powerful warlock who held power over all the land. The Warlock was so powerful that he was nearly impossible to kill. Some say that he even had the power to resurrect himself should he ever fall. The Warlock ruled over the people with a cruel hand for decades until a new king inherited the rightful throne. The King, who was brave and wise, put together a team of the best knights, soldiers, and wizards and finally defeated the evil Warlock. Every year on the anniversary of the Warlock’s demise, the people of the kingdom would gather in homes and taverns to remember the victory and tell stories of battles and encounters with the Warlock. Since there was fear of the Warlock’s resurrection, the whereabouts of his body had become legend. The tradition continued for twenty years. Then one evening on the anniversary of the Warlock’s death, townsfolk were celebrating in one of the more popular taverns. One man, a Traveler, sat at the bar and overheard another man telling his heroic story about how he got rid of the Warlock’s ashes. The other man was a Boatman. He was surrounded by other patrons as he gave details about how he scattered the Warlock’s ashes far out to sea. The tavern’s patrons began to honor and revere the Boatman as a hero.

The traveler chimes in. “Liar! There is no truth to your story. Gentlemen, I am the one who disposed of the warlock’s ashes.”

               The Boatman protests, “You dare call me a liar? When it was the King himself who gave me this task?”

               “I do call you a liar, sir, for the King personally assigned me to bury the ashes of the Warlock far in the east. I buried him just before the coast of the far side ocean.”

The two men continued arguing and giving specific details to add to their stories’ credibility. The Boatman spoke of his journey as he sailed for days and nights and through severe sea storms while carrying out the task. In turn the Traveler gave details of his weeks-long journey on horseback and encounters with wild beasts as he traveled. Both men’s stories sounded believable as they both claimed that a King’s guard accompanied them on their respective journeys to ensure that the task was completed as the King wished. It was not before long that the men went outside to duel to the death over the matter. However, before swords were drawn, the barkeep made a suggestion.

               If you both say the King can vouch for your candor, why not bring the matter to him instead of letting the truth die with the swing of a sword?” the barkeep said.

               Both men swore on their lives that the King tasked them with the disposition of the Warlock’s ashes. They agreed that whom ever the King sides with the other man must be put to death.

               The two men stood in front of the King and made their plea, and both demanded that the other be put to death for lying on their honor.

               “You are both correct.” The King stated. Both men stood in puzzled silence as the King continued.

               “You see, on the day that the Warlock was defeated, I ordered him beheaded and both the head and body burned to ashes. I then sent for loyal men of secrecy to dispose of the ashes. Two men answered the call, a Boatman and a Traveler. The Boatman was ordered to sail further out to sea than he’d ever been and scatter the ashes in the ocean. However, he was not told that he only had the ashes of the head. Likewise, the Traveler was ordered to travel far across the land, almost to the other ocean and bury the ashes deep underground in an unknown location. He was not told that he only had the ashes of the body. Both men were told to never speak of the details of this task to anyone. This was done to ensure that the Warlock would never rise again to oppress the kingdom. Yes, I did send two of my most loyal guards to accompany you all to observe and report back to me that it was done according to my instructions.  In turn both men earned the King’s trust and were rewarded handsomely with money and estates that were to remain in their families forever. So, you see both of you men spoke truthfully.”

               The Boatman and the Traveler looked over at each other with both respect and contrite. They bowed and thanked the King for resolving the matter and attempted to leave.

“But…” the King continued. “Both of you also understood the importance of the task and the King warned you that it would become the stories of legends. And do you remember what you swore to the King upon accepting these tasks?”

               The Traveler and Boatman answered in unison, “On my life you have my word. My lips are sealed.”

               So how is it that the two of you have come to openly discuss the details of the tasks in a tavern if you swore secrecy on your lives to the King?

               Both men stood ashamed in silence.

               “Now both your word and honor will be upheld.” Said the King. You two have agreed that whomever the King sides with, the other man must be put to death. I have sided with both of you, for you both were telling the truth. Therefore, the other man, meaning each one of you, shall be put to death. This is a fate that could have been avoided had you kept your word to the King. The King’s word is bond, and the King must set an example.”

               The King had the men beheaded and burned to ashes. Their bodies were taken far away on land and buried deep underground, while their heads were scattered out in the farthest reaches of the sea. The townsfolk never heard from the debating men again and the whereabouts of the Warlock’s body continued to be a legend. 

June 01, 2023 22:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Glenda Toews
22:47 Jun 07, 2023

David, your story came to me via the Critique Circle. It was a step back into time with a twisting reminder that keeping your word should be as valuable as your life! I enjoyed the entire storyline. As a reader I appreciate a bit more intricate detail. The story has bodies and they are named but other than that their personalities are hidden under blank clothing. There is a term called 'Show don't Tell'. You told me a lot in your story, and the point absolutely gets across. You could also consider showing me a little more and hit the story h...

Reply

David Hudson
12:40 Jun 08, 2023

Glenda, I appreciate you for taking the time to read my story. Thank you for your feedback. I understand that the characters personalities and other details were very vague. This was done on purpose as the story was meant to be more like the old fables such as "The Tortoise and the Hare". The moral of the story is the main point I was trying to get across. I will be applying your constructive criticisms going forward. I am glad that you liked the storyline. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.