1 comment

Adventure Drama

It was Valentine's Day and me and my girlfriend Julia were at a fancy overpriced Chinese restaurant. Spoiler, I ended up getting so sick after eating there, but that's beside the point. I'm not too fond of Chinese food. The only thing I like is fortune cookies. Finally, after eating the expensive meal, I was ready to open up a fortune cookie that could prepare me for anything. What I didn't expect was to get a fortune that would change my life forever. "Your life is in danger. Say nothing to anyone. "You must leave the city and never return."  

I sat in the chair and almost gagged after reading the fortune. I am a very superstitious person, and when Julia asked me what was wrong, I just told her "nothing." She wanted to see my fortune so bad, but I stuffed it in my pants pocket, which led to her giving me that Latina sass that I fell in love with. The whole drive home, I was only thinking of the words "say nothing." I knew this cookie was trying to warn me of the future real soon, so I knew I had to do something. When Julia and I went to bed, she asked me what that cookie said, and I said "nothing." This cookie was my warning that I knew was terrible.  

My luck shifted that day so fast, I burned my delicious mac and cheese, my car broke down, and a bird pooped on my car. And my luck continued to get worse and worse as time went on. Soon I started breaking more omens like walking under ladders, and breaking mirrors. My luck went from semi bad to full on shit show. I could never catch a break. I would get splashed by cars driving by during storms, my papers for work would vanish out of the blue and Julia's cat died.

I tried everything to getting my luck fixed. From visiting fortune tellers, tarrot card readers, and even using rods. I always thought my fortune was fixed because things would die down one day and be calm. But NOPE the very next day it would return to being hell and a bigass mess. I thought my life was screwed and I felt helpless. I constantly told Julia it was the fortune cookie but she thinks I have gone mad and sick in the head. I have refused to eat Chinese food since that day and she thinks I'm weird. What she did'nt realise was I was planing my departure from the city.

If this fortune cookie was telling me to get up and go I think thats my cue to leave before things get worse. I have been keeping this a secret from Julia for so long now. I just got an offer on an apartment in California near my parents home. I have been taking extra shifts at my job just to get out of town and I leave first thing tomorrow. And I still have yet to tell Julia.

I took one final around our apartment, and petting Julias cat one last time. Because I know I am NEVER coming back and I blame it all on that dreaded fortune cookie.

The Next Day

"My life is in danger." That is what I also kept repeating to myself. Who would want to hurt me? All I knew was that was my cue to leave. So I told Julia I was moving back home after being at FGCU for an entire college semester. She was gutted, but I told her my family was ill because I couldn't bear to tell her the truth. She will have said, "Damian, you're so stupid if you believe that fortune cookie." I packed my suitcase before the taxi came to pick me up from Palmetto Hall. It was a tearful farewell, but I knew if this cookie was warning me of something, I better listen.

I got on the airplane, said farewell to Florida, and hopped aboard the long plane ride back to California. I miss her every day, but the taxi ride was very calming. I do miss the Florida sunshine and going to see Mickey Mouse every weekend with Julia. But this fortune cookie was 100%. Not even a month after being back in California, I saw Julia's Facebook status change from single to in a relationship.

I pondered who she was dating, and it turned out to be a nerd from my High School, named Bobby Williamson. I found out he was the one who gave me that dreaded fortune cookie. He was jealous of my relationship with Julia and took her away from me. 

Bobby believe it or not was a witch who I bullied in high school. I would always make fun of him and his spells because they would never work. I would rip up his wand, cards and other things he used to practice his black magic with. And yes I did regret it and have said sorry to him a dozen times. He never accepted my apology but him giving me the cookie and ripping apart my life was very much needed. I have grown from his dreaded evil cookie and my luck changed soon after he got married to Julia.

I started making millions but I always wondered if losing the first love of my life Julia was worth it. I even changed my luck so good that I ended up winning the lottery for 740 million dollars and I meet the new love of my life Emma Watson. Year that's right Emma Watson aka Hermoine Granger is my fiance and soon to be wife. I know Julia most be pretty annoyed cause she loves Emma Watson. And Emma was Bobbys ex-girlfriend so oh how the tables have turned. Its pretty funny how we both are in love with each others ex's. I can't wait to marry Emma because we are living life to the fullest, one fortune cookie at a time.  

June 16, 2021 17:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Renata Paschoal
22:06 Jun 23, 2021

Hi, there! I liked your story. It was funny and the end very uplifting. I like when bad luck turns into good fortune. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.