0 comments

Crime Western Creative Nonfiction

Dusk was falling rapidly, The signboards of the shops were started to lit by neon lights. The shopkeepers were preparing for the swarm of people to arrive . It is going to be the densest part of city in few minutes. This market place runs all sort of licit to illicit business. Once you drawn deeper into it more the chance to fall prey to human predator.

                  Alexis fox, A man of Ex-Navy Seals officer , that pretty much described about him but his present sitch says he is on a long run. His black cap and the goggles proves his Incognito mode , but a pretty little present wrapped in a golden yellow foil on his hand was the odd one on him. He moved through the market and found a little Indian cuisine at the very beginning of the market. As still the crowd was less there’s very few seats were occupied , he took the seat at the rear end of the restaurant and rest his his present atop of the table. He know this is not the right place to meet but circumstances pushed him here. He was much exited to see his Darla, Its been nearly a year since they met last.

               Fox was one of the toughest men in navy seals but due to some mishaps in a military operation made him to suffer a spine injury that took him to the ordinary life, but he recovered soon to his form. It was the first time he met Darla in a restaurant as she was working as a maid there, he was attracted

Towards her on a first sight then he made frequent visit to the restaurant. Soon he became close to her and fell in love. They married against their parents wish and moved on together to start a new life. After six months of marriage on this day a year before transmuted their life when their child Damian was born.

              When he was born he seemed perfect and healthy, Things turned within a week that  something terribly wrong . When he attained a month old they started notice some symptoms. He was getting fussy, stopped squirming and got weaker and weaker.

 Family doctor Dr Karen called Fox for a private chat on his son without the knowledge of his wife. He felt something critical and he don’t want to panic Darla so he sneaked past her to meet doctor. Dr Karen explained Fox that his son is suffering from Spinal Muscular Atrophy, a rare disorder caused by a defective gene, the illness will destroy the nerves that control muscles. Babies with the most severe form of the disorder typically don’t live past their first birthday. But she gave a cure that there is a gene therapy called Zolgensma which has sure success rate but the cost of the drug is nearly 30,000$ and there is a hope that Damian is still in his first stage .

           Fox went to home with heavy heart but he didn’t shoe that in his face. He is not a person who will feel bad for the situation but he was thinking for the solution. His usual job wont provide this large sum in few months and he well know that illegal way of business is the only way. His solicitude pushed him to take risk which he don’t either he will be back but he don’t want to see his son suffer and also his wife. So he moved away without the notice of his wife as she wont encourage this ,He know he mustn’t did this but he want his son alive and this will all over in a few months. He took the phone with a heavy heart he made a call named Clara. She was a drug dealer he caught by anonymous as his identity mustn’t be revealed and he knows she will definitely have contacts to all underground rats.

               Clara introduce fox to one of the drug lord with his new identity and with his background he made up he easily got a job as a transporter of the drugs. In a month of work he got more money but still that didn’t enough for the treatment. In the due course time he analyse and observed the working of gang and he planned for a heist as it is the only way . He don’t want to take it longer but he waits for the perfect time to arrive. He planned accordingly that he wont get any suspicious then he will escape with stuff he requires and sell that in black market. On the day of execution after he took the stuff to transport he messaged Clara about his plan and asked her to go on for a hide as she will will be the first person to enquire if he went missing. Clara made a stupid move by revealing the plan and that cost her life. Before the gang made a move he executed his plan and went on for hiding , Everything went well except he the whole gang is after him. From then he was on a long run. These many days his survival he learned from defense kept him alive. But he still felt for the mistake that he left his wife all alone to suffer and he didn’t thought that they will never meet.

               Fox came back to conscious by the noise of crowd around him. He drifted away by his thoughts that he didn’t even noticed that the tables of the restaurant were already full morethan that his Darla was standing near the door with the same look he saw her last time, But to his surprise she was preggo and there is not their wedding ring but it was replaced. He thought to help her move here but before he could act , A man of fair brown in colour and lean body with medium height caught her and helped her to sit opposite to me. The man never made an attempt to look at Fox but he looked at Darla with a frown and moved out. Fox assumed that must be her husband.

      Darla was sitting opposite to her ex-fiance which is the least she could expect but this will be the last she confirmed. She can still see their wedding ring in his finger and thought that the biggest mistake of her life. There was awkward silence for few minutes then Fox broke it “ Where is Damian?”

“ I hope he mustn’t know your existence as a father who left his family suffer” She replied in anger ,still you are in a run I can smell through your disguise.

               The words must have shattered him but after all this struggle he take that inside and he knows he deserve that but all for a good cause.

With tears starts rolling down her eye, She said “I and George married six eight months ago”. He is a good man and took Damian as his own son mostly he never left us alone. For god sake Dr Karen arranged a treatment for our son and George helped with the money. I always felt that I was unaware of my son but to your knowledge now Damian is healthy and moving back to normal. We are moving to abroad as George got better job there and this will be the last time we are meeting and never tries to reach Damian.

“ I wont ask why you left and now I had a family to care for” She told

             Next few minutes they were sipping their coffee and Fox was disappointed for not seeing Damian but the word of his condition give him cheers. He was unable to tell the truth as his dear Darla found a good man to take care of her and Damian. They both don’t want talk the past as both felt the guilt and it hurts. He handed the present to Darla and asked her to give to Damian as today he turns a year old. She takes that present as to satisfy his last wish.

                   Fox helped Darla till the entrance door and there George came to take her. Darla took a last look of Fox and with a sigh she moved on. Fox waits till Darla disappeared , He took his phone and dialed Dr Karen “ Today is Damian’s first birthday and he made to it , Thankyou doc” he said

“Its all goes to you and sorry for you and Darla” She replied

           He hung up his phone threw that away into a thrash bin. Eventhough living on the hatered of our loved ones but it is always better to see them happy atleast alive. With a thought of acomplishment he tightened he jacket and moved inside the crowded market. He knows his survivality depends on either to hide and vanish or to fight and dominate , he chooses the later one. 

December 03, 2020 03:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.