1 comment

Black Christmas Romance

Stella threw a stone in the river and got a rebuke.

"Don't do that! It may disrupt my wish."

They were the only ones at the river bank, which was strange at this time of the year but was expected, due to the pandemic. The three girls had figured it would be a nice time to visit the much talked about Ile-Ife especially since the tour guides had no customers and could give them all the attention.


Two girls looked back at Tina in confusion.

Tina sighed, hoping her wish would still be valid as she explained.

"This, is the Osun River" she spread out her hands. "And people make wishes here."

Stella scoffed. "Don't be so gullible. That stuff is a myth."

Tolu gave her a jab. "Be nice."

"What? I like to say it as it is. I mean, that's why we're educated." Stella shrugged.


Tonia shook her head and went to sit on a bamboo chair, whilst her friends followed.

"So, what did you wish for?" Tolu raised her brows in curiosity.

"Now, don't tell me you wished for Segun to change his mind, cause we all know that's not going to happen."

"Stella! For once! Let her talk." Tolu glared at her.

"But you know I'm right. A guy doesn't say he no longer loves a girl if he hasn't given it a lot of thought." Stella began fishing out some dirt in her nails.


Tolu rolled her eyes.


"You're right and thankfully, I'm not that stupid." Tina agreed.

"Anyways," Tolu clapped happily, "we're here to celebrate Christmas and make you forget all about that - that - that man." She took a deep breath, "for a lack of better words."

"I'm not about to start insulting him. I guess he did what he had to do. Let's just enjoy this trip without any mention of him."

"Now you're talking!" Stella cheered and hugged them both.


***

"Hey!" It was eight a.m. when Tina came into the small office of their tour guide, catching him unawares, about to wear his suit.

"Hello!" He looked embarrassed to have been caught dressing up. 

"Did you need something?"

"We've been able to attend those awesome carols and visit the museum, what's next?"


"Nothing this morning, but I was about to go for a rehearsal at the theatre. I didn't think you three would be interested."

"I don't know about the others but I am. Can I tag along?"

"Sure," he shrugged.

"Give me a minute to inform my friends."


Tina ran up the stairs and barged into the room.

"Guys! The tour guide is going for this theatrical play, anyone interested?"

"Na, not my scene." Tolu shook her head and continued with her phone.

"I would have come but I'm really...tired." Stella yawned.

"Alright! See you later." She changed to her shoes.


"Wait, you're going with him, alone?" Stella looked at her from her half sleepy state.

Tina nodded.

"Be safe. It's christmas and there are strange people out there. Besides, we don't know this place so well."

"True, thanks anyways. Bye." She waved at them and rushed downstairs.


Thankfully, there was no traffic. People were probably staying indoors due to the pandemic. The only sign of the festive season were the carols they attended the first day and the lights on the streets - even that, wasn't so bright during the day. 

"You said earlier that you didn't think we'd be interested."


"And I was right." The tour guide glanced at her as they stopped at the traffic light.

"Partially! Now, what did you mean?"

"Well, not to insult you, but you three seem like the party kind. I'm still surprised you want to tag along, how come?


"Honestly, I'm truly not the theatrical kind, but it's nice to know what goes on backstage. If this were the actual play, I doubt I'd have agreed to come. Besides, I'm not so busy."

"Right. An idle mind is the devil's workshop?"

"Correct!" She answered just as the car began to move.


They discussed Christmas and what they loved about the season, entering into an argument but managing to settle as they got to their destination.


"Follow me." He led the way, greeting people as they moved.

"This play is for when?"

"Christmas day. Today's our last rehearsal."

"Hmmn..." Tina nodded and followed him backstage.

"Do you mind helping me rehearse before I get on stage?"

"Uhm, no problem."

"All you need do is read out Juliet's part."

"Alright." Tina smiled and waited for him to change into his costume before they started the rehearsal.


***

"Hey! You're back, how was it?" Stella looked up from their game of scrabble.

"I don't know, something strange happened."

Tolu paused. "During the play?"

"Not really, cause there was no play. It was just practice for tomorrow's play."

"Okay...so what happened?" Stella got up from her playing position and handed Tina a bottle of water.

"Thanks." She took a huge gulp and took in a deep breath. "So, I was assisting the tour guide-"


"You still didn't get his name? That's rude." Tolu shook her head.

Tina opened and closed her mouth, unable to defend herself.

"As I was saying," she pouted, "I read the lines of Juliet whilst he acted his, you get?"

"Please get to the juicy part already." Tolu clapped, making Stella shake her head.


"It was going well until it was time to propose to Juliet."

"Wait a minute, did Romeo ever propose?"

"I don't know," Tina shrugged, "he mentioned that it was a contemporary version of the story though."


Stella and Tolu nodded simultaneously.


"Then he started saying, "oh Juliet! I have watched you since you came on the trip and you're the most quiet of your friends. You're the kind of woman I see myself with - honest and thoughtful. Let's court."

Stella's eyes rounded. "Was that in the script?!"

"No!" Tina cried.


"Wait, does this mean he thinks Tolu and I are lousy?" Stella asked in shock.

"You mean to say, he proposed, truly proposed?" Tolu had moved to the edge of the bed, looking excited and shocked at the same time.

"Exactly! I can't believe it." Tina held her face.


"How was his facial expression?"

"I don't think he realised what he had said. He was staring into my eyes so intently, it was so creepy!"

"Wow... What do you think about him?"

"Tolu! Are you well at all? You want her to consider a man she just met two days ago, a man whose name she still doesn't know."


"Strangers become friends and then, something more."

Stella rolled her eyes. "It's those movies you spend all day watching. If a stranger proposes to you, he definitely has an ulterior motive."


"I agree. He should have thought of it, I hope he wasn't expecting me to say yes. Besides, I'm on this trip because Bode dumped me. I need a break from relationships."

"You won't even consider him?" 

"Tolu!" Stella hissed and went back to her playing position. "Better come here and let's finish this game."


"I don't think I can continue with this tour, especially since I ran out on him. It would be embarrassing. And...we can't leave here because he's getting his pay from people like us." Tina told them a few minutes into the game.

"Aren't you so nice. I guess, if you insist, we could complete the tour. What would you do though?" Stella tried to think.

"Maybe go window shopping?"


***

Tina went to Afere Mall. It was the biggest in Osun state and by far the most beautiful she had seen since their arrival. It was a good place to window shop - a lot of things caught her eyes and she was tempted to buy. 


Thankfully, she only took her purse and her ATM card was in her bag. As she looked around, someone suddenly approached her and got on one knee.

"Uhh, I think you're mistaken." She looked around and tried to move away from him but he grabbed her hand.


"Please don't say no." His gruff voice was way too loud and a crowd began to gather round.

"I love you with every fiber of my being and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you. When I met..." Tina tuned him out and settled on his features.


He looked rough, too rough to be taken home to her parents as a husband. His beards were bushy and he was on dreadlocks, definitely not her kind of man.


"Are you done?" She finally asked when he went silent for a minute. 

"I don't know you, so I can't say yes." The crowd began to murmur.

"I think this is some sort of mistake but-"


The man got up and told her, "it's a joke."

"What?!" 

"You're on our show...those are the cameras up there." He pointed her towards some people who waved at her. The crowd began to clap and soon dispersed.


"Well, that was mean... You couldn't even say yes."

Tina felt angry but didn't want to say anything.

"You can check out our comedy skit on Instagram. It's titled, different reactions to a proposal."


Tina shook her head and left the mall, branching at a restaurant to calm herself. After ordering, her phone rang and she saw it was Segun. She contemplated picking it but dropped it, doing so three times.


A man suddenly approached her.

"Is this seat taken?" He was already seated before she could say no.

He began to whisper and leaned towards her. "I've been trying to call you, why aren't you answering? You didn't change your mind about the date, did you? I mean, you're here, right?"


Tina leaned far away from him with an annoyed look on her face. "I don't think you know who or what you're talking about. I'm not here for any date."

"Come on. There's no need to lie. See, we're no longer young."

"Excuse you?"


"If you say yes to marry me, we can get married as soon as possible. I know we just met but I've been following your profile weeks before now." He rushed out, looking anxious as he sat at the edge of the seat.

"Let me get this straight." Tina took in a deep breath. "You're here for a blind date with this lady for the first time, and you're proposing? Already?"


"I don't appreciate you speaking like you're not the one." He brought out his phone and showed her a picture.

Tina's surprise was written all over her face.


"She does look like me, but I'd know if that was me, alright? That's not me." People had begun to stare in their direction and Tina had to lower her voice.

"I have had enough - of this madness for one day. Good day." She got up just when the waiter approached with her food.

"Take away please." She told him.


***

"Wow, that's crazy, girl." Tolu clapped happily.

"Who does he think he is? Proposing to a girl on the first date." Stella rolled her eyes.

"That's not even the point guys!"

"True, three proposals in one day, I'd say you're too pretty to be ignored." Stella smirked.


"Or... It has something to do with that Osun River?"

"No way!" Stella glared at Tolu. "What did you wish for?" She turned to see Tina with rounded eyes.

"I wished for -for - for suitors for Christmas."

"You did what?! Why would you wish for that?" Stella groaned.


"I was feeling down about Segun breaking up with me, and he's the only suitor I ever had." Tina frowned.

"Sweetheart, you don't need anyone to make you feel special or beautiful, you are..." Stella engulfed her in a hug.

"Exactly, and if those men can't see that, they aren't yours in the first place."


"Wait...does this mean...the Osun River wishing thing actually works?!" Stella stared at them in shock.

"Let's go take a bath in there! We need several miracles this Christmas."

"We are Christians Tolu, we can pray."

"Okay, I feel hot."

Stella rolled her eyes whilst Tina laughed. The three ladies went to get a bathing suit and hurried to the Osun River.


***

"Better make your wishes ladies!" Tina laughed at the upset look on Stella's face.

"For the last time Tina, we are Christians!"

"If only Segun could see all of these curves." Tolu splashed at her friend.

"Oh please! I'm not showing anyone this beautiful body until marriage."


"Great idea. That Segun wasn't even reliable." Stella wiped her face as she rose from under. 

"Speaking of which, he's here." Tolu looked in shock.

"What?!" Tina froze. "He, as in, the tour guide?"

"He, as in, Segun."

"What?!" The other girls whirled to see Segun approaching the river.


"How on earth did he even know we were here?" Tina cried, watching Segun approach them like a man on a mission.

"Probably through the dozen pictures we've taken and posted on IG." Stella shrugged.

"Don't tell me he's getting in the water."

"He can't try it." Stella shook her head and shouted, "don't come in the water oh!"


"What are you doing here Segun?" Tina shouted

"I made a mistake!" His voice echoed.

"I'm sorry. I was so anxious about meeting your parents that I broke up. Please, marry me! I love you." 

The three ladies watched him get on one knee and bring out a little red box.

"He's joking." Tina looked pissed.

"You can't just come back, asking me to marry you, with such a useless reason for dumping me. You could have talked to me!"

"I'm sorry!"


"Do you guys think this is the Osun River at work?"

"Definitely."

"Of course! Someone that says he no longer loves a lady gave it a lot of thought and he's changing his mind in three days? I can't believe it."

"Go home Segun. I'll think about it and give you a call." 

"Please sweeth-"

"Go home! She said she'd call you back." Stella hissed and splashed him.

"Bye-bye!" Tolu waved.


After he left, Tina sighed.

"I think I need a walk."

"I can't agree more. Four proposals in one day! Even I can't handle it, and I didn't get proposed to." Tolu sighed.

"You need it babe." Stella patted her shoulder. 

Tina got out of the water and waved at the girls.

"Just make sure you keep your phone on, alright?"

"Yupp."


***

It was seven p.m. and whilst Tina walked down the beach, she noticed a handsome man staring at her. It wouldn't have looked strange asides the fact that he was at a table with candles lit and flowers all around, balloons tied. 


It looked really special but the man at the table looked anything but happy.

"Hey! Are you alright?" She approached him.

"Yes, I am. You look really pretty though."

Tina laughed, blushing a lot. "Don't tell me you're about to propose."

"Actually, I already did and she said no."

It took a while for Tina to realise he wasn't referring to her. "Wow... With all of these pretty things?"

"And for the third time."

"No way...."


"Oh no! Here comes the cake, and he's with people." He whispered.

"Help a guy out here, alright? When I propose, just say yes?"

Tina chuckled. "Alright. If it will make you feel better about the no."

"It will, trust me. And it will save my face in front of these strangers. I mean, after all these plans!"


Tina nodded with a smile as he got on one knee and proposed.

"Yes!!!" She shouted, with a bit of tears in her eyes and her hands over her mouth as she gave him a big hug.

"In this pandemic?" He laughed and put the ring on her as their viewers clapped.


Once their audience left, he asked, "did you forget to tell me what an actress you are?"

Tina laughed. "We didn't get round to that part."

He sighed, looking at the cake. "Would you care to join me? There's wine." 

Tina laughed. "After the fifth proposal today, I think I need it."


"Really? How did that happen?" He poured her a cup and gave her a slice of cake as she explained how her day went.

"Wow! Five proposals in one day! Aren't you the dream?"

"Oh please, I think it has a lot to do with the Osun River."


"Yeah, I was going to ask about that. First, there's no Osun River close to that hotel. Second, there's no way they'd open the Osun River in this pandemic."

"What!? I don't believe it, how then do you explain the entire day?" Tina asked in surprise.


"I think it's the magic of Christmas. After all, it's christmas Eve. That, and the fact that you're so beautiful, let's say it was love at first sight for us."

Tina laughed and got a slice of cake as they took a walk round the beach.

"I'm Martins, just in case you were wondering."

"Really? After proposing." The smile was etched on her face as they clinked their glasses and talked through the night.


***

"And that! Is the story of these two love birds." The host announced.

"Yes! One year and counting." They flashed their rings at the crowd who couldn't stop cheering.

"Any questions?"

Someone got up. "How did you know she was the one?"


"Honestly," Martins took his wife's hand, "when you meet a woman willing to boost your ego and cover your shame, you know she's a gem. Two, five proposals in a day, that - was a dream! Besides, we pretty much sealed the deal when I refused to take back the ring."


"And I'm glad you didn't." Tina blushed.

"Just as I am glad Ola said no, three times." 

He gave her a kiss as they joined in the countdown to Christmas.


December 24, 2020 20:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Doug Goodrich
02:33 Dec 31, 2020

Very sweet story! It moved very fast. I really would have liked to heard a description of Tina and all of the other characters. Are you used to writing screenplays? Lots of dialogue but not much description. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.