2 comments

Drama Horror Sad

Double Edge Cut

By Shane LaGrange

Prompt: Write about someone who discovered the only family member they have left has just betrayed them.

Marcia Trotter felt like someone had just taken a bat to her stomach.

Her sister Lynn was about to be married after a yearlong engagement. Her other sister Sarah was very happy to pass along an invitation after meeting on Facebook. She has never been to Massachusetts and the seaside wedding seemed perfect. Dan Trotter was a professor and La Cross couch at the collage. No expense spared to make this the perfect day.

Two huge buffet tables loaded down with Alaska Crab, Horderves, and various other fine eats. A local band was hired and the open bar was stocked and too good to be true.

The groom, a handsome buck of a stallion, was waiting under an arc decorated  with all types of flowers. Next to him, the best man and minister. Even from her distance, she could tell he looked rather annoyed.

The day was beautiful; what could go wrong.

“I don’t know you,” Dan flatly told Marcia.

“What do you mean? I am your daughter.” The likes of which sounded weird, as if she was reliving some horror movie. “I came by invitation to see Lynn get married.

“I would know if you were my daughter,” he said. “Have you taken a good look at my girls?

Marcia nodded. She had green eyes, natural curly red hair and was paled skin. His daughters were both blonde and tall. She was 5 4” with blue eyes. While she was somewhat dumpy with an ample chest.

The groom came over to where they were standing. Robert by name; she guessed all the girl would break out in tears, at the fact he was no longer available.

“Shall I call the police?” He asked. “The guests are getting restless and the minister is checking his watch.

Dashing, Marcia thought. Broad chest and shoulders. The tuxedo fit him well.

“I think I can take care of this,” he gruffed.

“I have a birth certificate,” Marcia said. The neck of her dress was starting to get warm; she fought off the need to itch.

“I am sure you do,” he replied. “Why shouldn‘t you? I am very wealthy. You must feel like some missing family heirloom.”

“My mother is Marjorie Trotter.”

The look on his face confirmed that at least he did know her.

“I have been trying to connect with you for several years. I do not want to cause a scene. I will if I have too.”

“You are the one sending me threatening emails.”

“Threatening!” Marcia neared shouted.

“Would you like to see them? “ He asked. “Yes, I knew her. Briefly. She was just bat shit crazy. She wanted a large family, and I did not.”

“I have twelve brothers and sister. 

He laughed.

“Twelve? There was no way in hell I was going to help her push out that many kids. I am not an assembly line. It was in my best interest I cut ties with her. So I did.”

“You have no idea what I went through. Put in the system. Foster home after foster home. No one wanted me. Just the check from the government. You have any idea what that did to me? Well, do you. When I did manage to get together with my mother, your brothers raped me!”

Now she was angry. Her voice raised and carried by the fresh sea hair.

“I have a birth certificate,” she repeated. 

“How dare you insinuate such a blatant lie against my family?”

She brought out a document and showed it to him. “It showed you as the father.”

“Doesn’t mean anything,” he said, crumpling it up and tossing it in the trash. 

“You can’t do that to a certified document! “ She reached over to retrieve it and he pushed her away. 

The future son-in-law stepped away, pulling out his smart phone.

Look,” he said. “You had your chance to leave on your own. My soon to be son-in-law is calling the police. I am sorry for your misfortune; I cannot explain the birth certificate. The only thing that comes to mind is that your mother may have spirited you away from the maternity ward. Does that satisfy you?” 

Marcia took a step back. The perfect day was collapsing around her. In her mind, dark ominous clouds came rolling in and blocked the sun’s view. The light breeze became cold and damp. 

“Don’t you want to know how she is?”

“Sure,” he replied.

“Please do not fuck with or humor me in any way. I do not like it.”

“Where is she,” he sighed.

“A mental home.”

He broke out in laughter. Fitting place for her. You might end up there yourself.

He caught her arm as she was about to slap him. His other daughter came up to him.

Assault and battery. The police should be here soon.

“Sylvia, tell him,” Marcia said.

“Dad, I only know what she told me. Her last name, where we live. She even knew me and Lynn.”

“Of course she did,” he said. “A good con-artist always does their homework. I am sorry for you and your sister’s involvement in this avenue of deceit. I suggest you get away from the most important day of my daughter’s life,” he said, returning his focus back on Marcia.

“Too late for that,” Robert said. “I was told unless she is armed to detain her until the police arrive,”

Marcia was starting to panic. She backed away as the men advanced on her. She tried to recall even the smallest detail about his side of the family. Sure, she spoke to Sylvia a couple of times, but it was Lynn she had the bulk of the conversations with; she was in that building. A hotel more than likely. Friends and family, both large -group.

 She readied herself as they came at her from both sides. She spun: ducked and grabbed her certificate out of the trash and ran toward the steps leading away from the beach. She felt Robert hot on her heels, keeping pace. Must be part of step-dad’s boating team. She thought as she could hear Dan yelling instruction as she raced across the street.

He attempted a tackle but she zigzagged away from him, and he ended up cracking his mouth on the curb.

“What are you doing?” Dan asked catching up to him. “Go after her!”

“My mouth is bleeding and I think I cracked some teeth,” he lisped. “Go after her yourself.” He painfully picked himself off the pavement; limped back to the party and napkins.

“Dan turned. “Do not use the good napkins. Use the ones already discarded in the trash.”

The police arrived; Robert pointed and gave the officers a good description of Marcia.

She opened the door; stepping into the Foyer. She took a moment to be impressed. 

Swank, she thought. A large crystal chandelier above her head. Black leather couches and chairs, she was sure no pet has ever been on; Tiffany lamps sat on each end table, a pristine Persian rug encasing the entire lobby.

“Lynn!” She cried racing up the stairs.

“Madam,” the desk clerk said. “We have a policy here. You just can not come in here disturbing our guests.”

“Bite me Lurch,” she said flying up the stairs. “Lynn!” She screamed. “It’s your sister Marcia!” She dodged back and forth knocking on door. Clear this floor; she would take the stairs to the next.

“Sir,” the clerk said. “Is that one of your guest?”

“I never saw her before,” he said running past the desk. ”The police are here. Have them cover all floors and the stairs. She may be trying to harm my daughter.”

Barely breaking a sweat, Dan bounded up the stairs two at a time. He heard her banging on doors; next silence, and then a heavy door closed.

“She is going up the third floor,” He hollered back down.

 In the stairway, Marcia could here the well-tuned quick steps of the police. They would be here soon, and she still has not found Lynn.

Stepping foot on the third floor, she resumed her pattern of knocking on door and shouting her sister’s name.

The police entered the hallway as a young woman with a pixie haircut opened the door.

She is not ready,” she said as Marcia pushed past her. The young woman fell back in a heap on the floor. The bustle she was wearing under her pink chiffon dress, acting like one of those Webble Wobble kids’ toys, except she could not get up. 

“My God, she is after my baby girl!” Dan screamed entering the third floor.

He came up to the lead officer as he knocked on the door. “Miss? Are you in there? This is the police. We have the hotel surrounded, and suggest you give yourself up.”

“What are you waiting for?” Dan shouted. “She may be armed. Break the door in and take her!”

“If she is armed as you say, that is the last thing I want to do. Why don’t you stand back,” the officer told him.

Inside, Marcia sat on the couch watching the girl rock back and forth on the carpet. Large Flat screen television, no doubt with all the channels, she thought. Sizeable terrace with a great view, which the police could easily get to and get inside. 

“Lynn?” she echoed, starting to get nervous.

“Would you please help me?” A tiny voice asked. 

“So you can let the police in? No, why don’t you just stay on your back for the time being.”

“Lynn?”

The officer in charge left clear orders not to let Dan in the room, while he went downstairs to call the room.

Dan fumed and paced the floor. If they got in not harming her, they would find that damn certificate on her person. Eleven children. How laughable. Still, it would be enough to open up an investigation. It would drag his name through the mud.

 He went back the way he came and came up on the housekeeper as she was exiting a room.

“Madam, can you help me? I am locked out of my room and I need my wallet.”

“Certainly sir,” she said, taking a key card out of her pocket. “Which one?”

***

The phone rang.

Marcia jumped at the suddenness of the noise. It must be from the police. No doubt taking Dan at his word, their playbook was open; they were running it line by line. 

She called again for Lynn letting the phone ring on. Not hearing an answer, Marcia got up from the couch and turned toward the bedroom. The petite girl continued to lie on the floor. White leggings sticking out from underneath. 

She opened the door to find Lynn seated. She was beautiful in her designer gown; how it must have cost, for something she was going to wear only once. Lynn had the ice bucket raised as if to use it, in case Marcia tried to attack her. Next to her, her phone. No doubt, a call from her beloved intended.

Exhausted, Marcia waved that she was not a threat and sat down beside her.

“I am really in a mess, Lynn,” she said. “I came here. To see a wedding because I thought this was my family.”

She unfolded the crumpled piece of paper and scooted it next to Lynn.

“Are you not going to answer that?” A voice called from the next room. “It is annoying.”

“Is Rebecca all right?” Lynn asked picking up the document.

“She is fine,” Marcia answered, needing a good stiff drink. “The contraption she is hooked in is keeping her on the floor. It seems my life has been a lie from the get go.”

“This says my father is your father.”

“Not true. They are right. I look more Irish then anything else. Maybe my mother really did steal me away from the hospital. However, the how’s and why she got that document notarized is a whole ‘nother story.”

“Then lets us end this right now. I shall go with you outside. We will explain to the police that this has been nothing more then a misunderstanding.”

Marcia nodded;  as they rose from the bed. There came a shattering of glass on the terrace outside. Shards of all sizes flying across the carpet as Dan threw himself into the room. 

“Father!” Lynn exclaimed shocked. “What are you doing?”

Dan got to his feet breathing heavily; holding out his hand, as concerned officers started beating at the door.

“I am protecting our family name. Now, be a good girl and give me that paper. I will say she attacked you and out of concern for your safety and with great risks to myself, Parkour from the balconies outside to reach you.”

“I am not harmed,”

He picked up a large piece of glass.

“Yea. . .well about that,” he said. No doubt, they called that cop from downstairs. . .I am afraid you will have to take one for the team as they say. She cut you, I struggle with her; I stab her in self-defense to protect you, and life will go on. Shane. You really do look great in that dress.”

Lynn backs up against Marcia. 

“Open the door and head into the front room and let the police in. It won’t be long till they break the door down.”

“You will do as I say, daughter,” Dan said, swinging the glass back and forth in his hand. 

“Are you insane,” Lynn asked. “This can be explained away,” she turned, to enter the front room, as Dan lurched ahead cutting a deep gash across her side.

“I can not have the thought that I fathered an illegitimate child on my record!”

Screams echoed through the room as Marcia opened the door stumbling outside into the arms of the police.

“Take her away!” Dan yelled, as the police came into the room. “See my daughter on the floor. That wretched bitch made me harm my own child!”

Lynn dropped to the floor. The paper that she was holding gripped tightly as the pain was unbearable. Dan immediately found gun drawn on him. The shard in his hand dripping bright crimson red on the carpet. Rebecca’s eye wide with terror at what transpired.

Marcia could see that he looked a mess. His eyes wide and maniacal. Breathing heavily. He backed up continuing to rant and rage on about Marcia as the officers closed in on him, taking the weapon from his hand.

He turned and struggled as they brought him to his knees. He started to foam at the mouth; like a rabid dog, spitting and biting at the officers as they tried to cuff him. He felt a white-hot sensation against his back before passing out. He was tazed.

***

Dan woke up in the police car; merely stared glumly out the window. Lynn was airlift to the hospital, and statements taken from all around. Richard tried to back up Dan’s words, telling how unhinged she was, and like a virus infected everyone else with her insane claim. The police looked at him oddly. That damn document in their possession. 

They told him to abstain from hindering the investigation or he would be joining Dan in the car. He immediately quieted up.

Marcia rubbed her arms from the chill she was feeling; promising the police she would stay in town until they could speak to Lynn in the hospital. They told her not to worry. It was an open and shut case of misunderstanding. It came down to Power and a person’s name. Fear that the stigma would never go away. The more he labored on it, the more it drove him insane.

Marcia watched as the police drove away. Dan scowling at her with bitter hate. She wondered if she would ever find out who she really was.

February 06, 2021 00:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Pandora Anderson
00:35 Feb 11, 2021

I like the story, it was well written in my opinion, however there were some small mistakes, such as missing commas and quotation marks or extra before a sentence.

Reply

21:39 Feb 11, 2021

Thank you for the time and critique! Appreciate it very much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.