Spring Love

Submitted into Contest #35 in response to: Write a story that takes place at a spring dance.... view prompt

4 comments

General

1960


           Jane groaned as her friend threw an armful of dresses onto the bed, she sat and watched as Alice began to sort the dresses in order of color before turning towards her a look of excitement lit her face.

           “Alice, I told you that I have no intention whatsoever in going to the spring dance!” pouted Jane crossing her arms over her chest

           “Jane this is the biggest dance of the year! You promised that you would go with me…” pleaded Alice

           “I was asleep during this conversation which cannot be used as blackmail…” argued Jane crossly, “Alice…please…ugh, fine, I’ll go to spring dance.”

           Alice squealed and pulled her friend into a tight hug until Jane finally calmed Alice down long enough to escape. Jane looked at the dresses that took up space on her bed, running her hands along the soft material of the silky dresses.

           “That yellow dress would look amazing on you!” gushed Alice holding up a bright pink dress against her body, looking at her reflection in the mirror

           Jane picked up a navy-blue dress, the dress had polka dotted tulle over the more form fitting material underneath; the tulle crossed over the right shoulder. Needless to say, the dress was classically beautiful; Jane reluctantly picked the dress up and looked in the mirror. She liked what she saw, ‘I guess if I have to go the dance, I may as well put some effort into my appearance.’.


Half hour later…


           Jane dried her hair with a fluffy white towel as she listened to Alice chatter on and on about hoping to run into Eric Johnson, the most popular boy in school and how when their eyes meet across the dance floor, he will realize that Alice is the only girl for him. Jane simply smiled and continued to get ready.

           With her hair in large curlers, Jane focused on her make up; lightly adding mascara and blush. As she applied dark red lipstick, Alice took out her hair curlers out and combed through her thick dark brown hair. Jane styled her hair and added a sliver flower clip, she smiled at her appearance. The girls switched places and finished getting ready; they rushed downstairs hoping to get their pictures taken before the dance.

           “Jane, Alice you both look lovely all dressed up!” gushed Jane's mom snapping pictures

           Jane’s brother Allan shrugged into his jacket and grabbed the car keys, “Hey are you coming or what?”

           “Yes, we’re coming…it wouldn’t hurt you to be patient.” teased Jane laughing, “Cecilia told me that she would be waiting for you by the refreshment table.”

           Grumbling, Allan turned before his little sister could see him blushing; he had been in love with her friend Cecilia for a while now. He wanted to make sure that he was the first fella to ask the petite blonde to dance. Laughing, the girls hopped into the back of the shiny red convertible.

           Jane could feel the butterflies in her stomach the closer they got to the high school; she hated going to school dances because she always ended up in the corner watching everybody else dance. ‘Truth to be told, I would much rather be at home reading or working on my painting.’ sighed Jane  

           Alice pulled her friend in a rush to get inside the gymnasium, the music poured out of the open doors, laughter from other students greeted them. The moment Jane began to slow down, Alice tugged on her arm preventing her from turning around and running back home. Although Jane was reluctant to go inside, she couldn’t deny that the gymnasium looked incredible. It felt like she was walking into a garden; flowers in every imaginable shade covered every possible surface while fake grass covered the wood floor; white garden arches were set up in to allow the students to take pictures.

           “Aren’t you glad you came? This is so beautiful!” laughed Alice flushed with happiness

           “This isn’t totally awful…” murmured Jane looking around her

           “Let’s go dance!”

           “I’m just going to go get some punch before the boys spike it.” replied Jane moving towards the refreshment table

           Alice merely shrugged and dashed over towards the other dancers, leaving Jane alone; taking advantage of not being pulled in every direction Jane wandered towards the large crystal punch bowl and scooped some pink liquid into a glad cup. With punch in hand, she found a quiet table to watch the dancers; she felt a stab of jealousy as she watched, Jane wished that she could gather up courage to go and dance. Jane was so lost in her thoughts that she didn’t see the boy sitting down beside her; her gently touched her elbow, startling her out of her stupor.

           “Hey Jane, do you want to dance?”

           “Hi Liam…I would love to but I’m not very good.” admitted Jane

           “That’s alright, I can’t dance very well either…” smiled Liam chuckling, “I do know a nice little spot where we could dance without an audience…that is if your up to it.”

           Jane smiled and looked at Liam’s hopeful face; ‘He is a really nice guy and I do like him…maybe this won’t be so bad…’ thought Jane thoughtfully

           “I would love to.” blushed Jane taking Liam’s outstretched hand

           Liam led Jane to a quiet area behind a wall of flowers and gently placed his hand on her waist; they started to dance slowly.

           “You look beautiful tonight Jane” complimented Liam

           “Thank you…you clean up nice.” grinned Jane looking up at him, “I’m really glad I came tonight…it was worth dressing up for.”

           “I have to say I agree, I don’t normally come to dances…my friend told me I had to come to the spring dance.”

           “Alice told me I had to come tonight…I’m glad we listened!”

           “I’m glad too…” whispered Liam holding her closer, “Do you want to go to the movies this weekend?”

           Jane layed her head down on his shoulder and enjoyed dancing with Liam, with her eyes closed and a smile on her lips; Jane knew that this was the beginning of something wonderful.

           “Yes.”

           For the rest of the night Liam and Jane danced and enjoyed their first spring dance together.

April 03, 2020 06:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Maria Limerick
17:01 Apr 09, 2020

That really just warmed my heart. Thanks for writing such a beautiful story!

Reply

Randi W
22:14 Apr 10, 2020

I am glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Lastinger
21:41 Apr 08, 2020

Great ending. You never know what will happen til you step outside of your comfort zone.

Reply

Randi W
22:14 Apr 10, 2020

I am glad you enjoyed my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.