1 comment

Drama Horror Mystery

The Diaries Of A Mad Man Ep01 : The Jenny Ghost Ship

That was the last we ever heard of them!

I suppose I should start at the beginning.

It was summer. August 21st 1840 to be exact, me and a couple of my friends set went to the harbour and set sail trying to enjoy the last sun rays of summer. And bring home a huge catch before autumn would be in season. 

We sailed content at the thought of a guys trip, lady and drama free. We brought ice coolers full of bear and coal to heat up fish for months.

The further out we sailed the greater our catch: Salmon, Monkfish, Sardines, Smackle, Cod, Fillets. You get the picture!

The sun shined in abundance and ocean flowed in perfect pigment.

As we reached the end of August and had sailed further into the Atlantic, it began getting colder.

September 1840, three days into our travels we stumbled upon what appeared to be an abandoned ship in the middle of the Atlantic.

As a we grew closer our jaws dropped as our eyes painted a ship frozen in an ice-berg . It was like a glass swan perfectly sculpted.

Me and my crew's curiosity of the lonely cargo cause us to explore our findings, our stomachs gagged at our discovery. 

The passengers of the 1820 vessel deceased, starved; but starvation isn’t what killed them; they were a replica of the boat that carried them. Frozen as if a cartoon remote button had stopped time and solidified it with an ice ray gun.

But the operator simply forgot or never bothered to unwind it’s, permanency leaving behind perfectly preserved corpses.

Although sickened by what we saw, we continued our search. We kicked down the captain's door, inside was a man who could have easily been mistaken for a well detailed mannequin, sitting in a chair pen in hand a journal opened on his lap.

The captain's journal points to an unfathomable reality, which reads as so: 

Dear diary 

May 4th 1823, no food for 70 plus days, I’m the only one to outlast this madness. I watched helplessly as my crew, one by one passed. No one was shocked the first time it happened. No one wept, there was silence, there wasn’t a sound apart from the rapidly decreasing rumbles of stomach growls.

It started as one person a day but within a week it increased to three. I won’t lie, the thought did cross my mind, the temptation grew heavier with every passing second. 

They were gone and they would feel no pain and I would survive, no matter how badly my body needed it I wouldn’t allow myself to stoop so low, let alone disrespect my perished men a cannibal is not what I would go out as.

Even if I did give in I questioned how long would those bodies last me before I would be found. I didn’t dwell on the derogatory thoughts a second longer. I simply retreated to my captains quarters and caged myself in; having this thinning pen ink and paper sheets to be a distraction from my forever grumbling stomach. 

Dying is one thing; but to know your dying as it happens knowing that one crumb of stail bread can save your life make you last another three weeks. But being unable to obtain what I need is morbid.

I tried picturing my wife and children but after sometime my thoughts began smashing into each other with such aggression I couldn’t tell the difference from fiction and reality.

Dear diary,

Day a hundred and well truth be told I don’t know what day it is anymore, I fear this may be the last time I write. My hands are getting stiffer, and no amount of glove layering can keep the cold out. the tips of my fingers are purple and painful. My feet are bricks, well really clumps of ices with frozen blood in the cells.

I'm scared there’s something out there: something, someone, the days are getting colder which makes no sense. It is the middle of summer, fish should be countless but the seas sees drought.

The water is contaminated with ice brick and the eerie presence of death. Lost spirits and lost souls with no clue on how to return home.

My crew stinks these wooden boards cannot keep the smell of decomposition out. I do not remember the way back home these seas once flowed like a burst damn now they’ve frozen!

Everything around us is beginning to freeze but I can see sunlight. I can’t tell what’s gonna run out first this pen or my time. 

She is here, it, them, ghosts, spirits, I don’t know the hooligans that torment me. 

1, 2: We are coming for you

3, 4: Nothing can save you not even locking that door

5, 6: We are gonna freeze your bones so your stiffer than sticks

7, 8: We are on time do not worry we won’t ever be late

9, 10: Here we go again

The song repeats every night, that godforsaken sing sony chant these waters are haunted and soon their own my soul. Children have been taken by this sea. I hear their cries. Mother earth is so powerful, ruthless and unforgiving oh God mother earth why have you forsaken me?!

Original Speaker:

Me and friends hopped back aboard our boat travelling as fast as our ship would carries us back to land to get help.

We returned with several boats of rescue but we never found the frozen artifact we searched for weeks but with no success, half believed us the other were pissed and accused us of being high on sea salt fumes. 

But I stand by my word. I know what we saw and I know it was real! that was over 4 decades ago and till this day that ship sails the ocean waiting to be rediscovered.

The frozen men unnaturally and permanently connected to the ship, only proof that it ever existed is the captains diary. 

That now lives in a museum of mystery. Waiting to be auctioned at a staggering 1 billion dollars.

That was the first and last the world ever heard of Jenny and them.

Story Written By: Kpyyoung 

April 15, 2021 18:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jordan Morgan
19:05 Apr 23, 2021

thanks for scaring the heck outta me

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.