In the Eye of the Beholder

Submitted into Contest #242 in response to: Write about two characters who meet and/or fall in love in a museum.... view prompt

34 comments

Fiction Romance

This story contains sensitive content

Trigger Warning: Ideas/Suggestions of Sex


Leaning against the wall opposite the ticket desk, I have two thoughts suspended in my mind’s grasp. One, will this shift ever end? The day has felt interminable in its lack of function. And the other thought is on a perpetual loop. Some days it gets recycled as freely as the flow of beautiful women who pass by, and on other days more infrequent. Okay, never less than once every couple of hours. I don’t intend to sell men out, but you’ve guessed it. Sex is the four-letter word that encompasses the universe of the male psyche. I know it's three, but who is counting? Sex is the act that we are compelled toward, the one that drives the core of our existence. That’s not to say that we don’t have analogous pushes and urges for acceptance, love, acknowledgment, and all of the other feelings stuff. Still, it can easily be cancelled by the way a girl smells, a flowery light perfume with its soft hint of honeysuckle, or a fleeting glance at some perfectly rounded cleavage, especially if there is a little bounce accompanied with it. I know you are shaking your head, but it is the truth as to why we are the weaker beings until you need a police officer, that is. We are still good for brute strength, a calm, discerning demeanor, and a level-headed approach, despite the inability to control our mind when it comes to thoughts of fornication. It is an open secret that we are biological anomalies, beholden to our base desires.

Speaking of police officers, that sums up my profession every day of the week. It was a chance meeting that led me into law enforcement, but I have no complaints. It has served me well, provided a necessary purpose to defend and protect, so the famous phrasing goes. Nineteen years logged with the force as I approach my fortieth birthday; I am lucky to be facing this milestone with the myriad risks I have faced. The main disadvantage of my career path has been the long hours filled with humanity’s proclivity to make the wrong choices. I won’t deny that it has left me flustered and on the verge of breaking, at times. Retaining a positive outlook and relying on my contingency crutch of sexual thoughts is what keeps me sane. I have channeled my efforts toward promotions, investigations, and helping those in need. I have had my fill of short-term girlfriends, but none of them have understood my devotion to this type of monotonous work, akin to being an adult babysitter. I don’t fault them, because there is part of me that knows there is a parallel life I am missing, one that involves birthday parties, picnics at the park, and long weekends in Napa. The rising costs of living in this bustling city have spurred me to seek off-duty security shifts. My day off from the police department falls on Thursdays, so I pick up the evening shift at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art to pad my wallet, kill the lonely hours, and take in the feminine scenery that working the streets rarely affords.

It's not just the groups of college-aged hotties who arrest my attention, as most women would assume. It’s women in all their glorious forms. Especially intriguing are the unsure housewives who have stolen a day to linger among the paintings and sculptures, wearing a more provocative outfit than is their normal habit, a true daring in how they show a little more leg. It can be the refined group of ladies who wear their tailored, tight-fitting outfits with their designer shoes and purses, flitting from one artist’s masterpiece to the next, a walk of confidence. They always look back at me with a longing stare. Their husbands are stockbrokers, hedge fund managers, and Vice Presidents of some division or another, but they have fantasies too, and they often involve uniforms and handcuffs. I give them a nod of my head and return the sultry stare, knowing they will find a reason to come back, if only to bask in the illicit gaze one more time.

Of course, there are the throngs of tourists who are ill-mannered, lost, and haphazardly dressed. You’ll find a gem or two in that bunch, some incidental eye candy. Surprisingly, the most alluring are the women more advanced in years, and don’t doubt for a minute that they can rock it better than any of those younger girls. Experience counts. No, I don’t have a preference for blondes, brunettes, redheads, or girls who have the darkest of raven locks. Girls can sport short cuts or long, flowing tresses, curly or straight, so long as their hair moves with their natural, sensual flow. It's the sights, and the smells, and the utter beauty of the unattainable curves that keep me engaged.

It's not just the goddesses in the flesh that focus my thoughts to sex. Walking these seven floors of the museum, I can find ample inspiration in the many artworks hung stiffly on these walls.

Agnes Martin’s “Night Sea” is how I feel when I haven’t had sex in weeks, a blue heaviness that is stifling and consuming. You can get sucked into that type of hollowness.

“Erased de Kooning Drawing” by Rauschenberg is the exact opposite though, a blank slate where anything and everything can happen. It echoes, “You haven’t even heard her name yet.”

Matisse’s “Lady in a Hat” is a bit matronly for my liking, but who am I to judge? I just take notice.

There is the obvious exhibit on the sixth floor entitled “Infinite Love.” It is Yayoi Kusama’s representation of love in its concentric circles. Her gig is that the moon, stars, planets, and all of us are simply dots comprising a whole. It is colorful and reflective, but it solely reminds me of some orbs that I’d like to hold with my hands, give the universe a little squeeze. That is one of our intrinsic gifts, the ability to always relay it back to the simplest form.

The titles alone on these works can drive your imagination to the brink: Study in Curves (Merida), Dessert Tray (Thiebaud), You and I, Horizontal (McCall). Seriously, what do they expect a guy to think?

My favorite painting to muse over is called “Francis” by Mary Lovelace O’Neal. What I wouldn’t give to walk right into that, an open invitation to a riotous good time. I could stare at that one for half an hour and get lost in the possibilities. I have, in fact, done just that, until I realized I was being eyed curiously by the Curator of the museum. I gave a lift of my eyebrows to indicate the masterful composition, but it felt disingenuous. I received a stunted, furrowed nod in return, as she hurriedly walked away, the clicking of her heels as admonitory as the knowing look.

Later, I overheard a patron saying it looked like a horse, which is not at all what I perceived, but then again, reality is in the eye of the beholder. Tragedies, jokes, blessings, and curses are all viewed from varying lenses. My wish is for someone to fully share in my vision, even if it is transitory, a bittersweetness in the mutual understanding.

It is seven o’clock and I start making my final rounds of the floors, wondering what I will have for dinner in this solitary evening. My choices are limited to a leftover tuna sandwich or take-out from Pearl’s. It’s not a hard decision. Rounding the corner, I catch my reflection in the glass. My dark hair is starting to grey evenly around the temples, but I prefer to think I am still attractive, fit, and strong. It would make my daily trips to the gym worthwhile. I am average in height and athletic in build, but I’ve been told my best feature is my smile, not a Tom Cruise smile, but close. The thing is that I don’t wear it often, so I'm guessing that’s why it gets noticed. Still walking and surveying my profile in the glass, I run head-first into a woman exiting the bathroom. Startled by my lack of awareness, I step back with a generous apology. She puts her hand up to take responsibility, but I’m at fault for the collision.

“Sorry, ma’am, I was distracted. Didn’t see you there,” I say with genuine deference.

“No harm, no foul,” she replies with a resplendent smile.

In that second, her smile eclipses the sun of my thoughts. I am unmoving in the light she projects, the way her warmth and interest stay centered on me, an earnest timidity that catches me off guard. She has a gentle prettiness that she doubts, nervously tucking her hair behind her ear. She flips her glasses to the top of her head, and we look at each other directly. Her eyes are prominent, now exposed, brown with a heavy depth. Her nose is slender, the tip of it perky and rounded. She scrunches it, trying to think of something to say next. I watch her lips, waiting for the next comment, anticipating that her mouth could deliver pleasures with more than just words.

“You remind me of that painting, The Flower Carrier,” she says with a demure wit, causing me to laugh out loud.

“Really,” still laughing, finding her comment amusing, I banter back, “and I was hoping you’d say I was more like Warhol’s Triple Elvis." I flash her my grin.

We relax into the unexpectedness of the moment. For the first time in a long time, I feel alive in this accidental encounter.

“I’m sure you know all the artwork here,” she looks downward, the shyness tugging at her.

“That I do, a little too well,” trying to garner the courage, I continue, “Hey, my shift wraps up here soon, and I was going to grab a burger. Do you think you would want to join me?” I am surprised at myself for the ask, but I want to know more about her, and I am afraid of losing my chance.

She looks up, pondering the invitation, “Well, I am hungry, and you are a police officer. So yes, that would be very nice. Thank you for asking.” She offers up that smile again, and something pulls inside me, a youthful abandon to dive headfirst into the unknown.

“Great, I’ll meet you downstairs at the entrance in about fifteen minutes or less. Don’t leave me,” I give her a wink. “Oh, what is your name?”

“Valleri. It’s nice to meet you, umm, Officer Maxwell,” she says, eyeing my badge.

And I think to myself, of course, her name is Valleri. That is the name that has been echoing off that blank slate of a drawing since I started here. Thanks, Rauschenberg.

“Likewise, please call me, Jason,” and I extend my hand for the official introduction. “Fifteen minutes!”

She affirms with a tilt of her head, and I race around the corner to close out my shift in record time.

***

The elevator’s descent from the seventh floor is long enough for me to second guess everything, but mostly because I am worried that Valleri will be gone, and I will be standing there by myself with this flower that I borrowed from the Curator’s floral arrangement, the one sitting proudly on her desk. I am sure she won’t notice. The elevator announces the ground-level arrival, and I realize for the first time how slowly these doors open, a centimeter at a time. Peering and straining, I can see her standing in the cold, wet melancholy of the San Francisco evening, her hands neatly tucked in her coat’s pockets as she turns back and forth, looking at the evening’s activities of passer-byers. I get that tightened excitement in my throat again. I feel like I am sixteen.

I let myself out of the employee entrance and walk toward her. She pivots upon hearing my approach, and I produce the pink peony from behind my back.

She delights in my remembrance, “I knew you were the flower carrier!”

I like how the excitement floods her face, reminiscent of the lights that power Las Vegas. I want to make her happy, and I don’t even know her. She takes it from my hand, and we begin our stroll to Pearl’s, to satisfy the needs of hunger. The sidewalks are narrow, tight with people passing in the opposite direction, and she leans into me. I revel in her scent and the warmth she exudes.

She turns her head back to me, stating, “You know, I’m not from here, just visiting my sister for the week. There’s that adage or song about leaving your heart in San Francisco,” she looks forward to make sure she’s not about to collide with anyone else.

My heart skips, knowing that there was a high probability she wasn’t local.

“That’s okay. If you leave your heart here, then I’ll be certain to keep it safe.”

There is another tilt of her head back with our eyes meeting, a flirtatious laugh, an electric connection.

She knows I mean it, and I really do.

I make a slight move to reach the door of Pearl’s first, so I can open it in gentlemanly fashion. With the most unpredicted, coquettish charm, she says breathily, almost in a whisper, “Maybe you can show me your gun sometime.”

With that remark, I am sold. Hands down. She gets me, no, she knows me. I have found the girl more beautiful than any piece of artwork. There is a feeling of having come full circle to the destiny I have unknowingly owned. 

March 20, 2024 21:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

Annie Hewitt
02:23 Apr 07, 2024

I really like your writing style. Easy, fun, loose but still with a depth that keeps me interested. Well written.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Claire Marsh
11:35 Mar 27, 2024

Hi Harry! Thanks for sharing this. Really not the genre I generally gravitate to and the first few sentences had me questioning Jason's character. But you trapped me! I found the wit and your writing style really disarming. By the time I reached the end, I just wanted more. I'm a little sad to say goodbye to him. Great story.

Reply

Harry Stuart
15:10 Mar 27, 2024

Your feedback made me smile! I'm glad you were trapped, so to speak, in order to see Jason come full circle. I was hopeful that I conveyed his wit in a way that engaged the reader. Your comments are some of the nicest that I've received. If I've created a character that you regret saying goodbye to, then perhaps I've hit the mark. I look forward to going back and reading your prior work. Thank you, Claire!

Reply

Claire Marsh
09:57 Mar 28, 2024

Yay! I'm glad it made you smile ☺️ Hope you enjoy my stories - they are decidedly more silly nonsense (mostly) than this gem x

Reply

Harry Stuart
14:36 Mar 28, 2024

Of your stories, which is your favorite? I’ll read it first. 😊

Reply

Claire Marsh
15:37 Mar 28, 2024

Ooooh, I think it's 'Being better, one cranberry at a time' - just because it exploded out of me. I love the character so much and I giggled as I wrote it. Hope you like it 🫣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ev Datsyk
00:28 Mar 26, 2024

Congratulations on the shortlist! I had read and liked this piece, and was so happy to see it at the top this week 💐 way to go!

Reply

Harry Stuart
00:43 Mar 26, 2024

Thanks so much, Ev! Really means a lot to me. I have one more of your recent submittals to read. Enjoy your writing style - clever, daring, imagery that is strong and beautiful, a unique voice. Thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:40 Mar 25, 2024

Interesting to see the inner workings of the male mind as told from the security guard’s point of view - both of the pictures and real life women as they pass by. Let’s hope he and Valleri with the “flirtatious laugh and electric connection” meet up again. I get the feeling they will. Nicely done with a lightness of touch.

Reply

Harry Stuart
23:25 Mar 25, 2024

Thanks, Helen! I hope I haven't conveyed too many inner workings of the male mind 😊 Really appreciate you reading and the nice feedback!

Reply

Helen A Smith
20:54 Mar 26, 2024

The male mind is somewhat incomprehensible to us women lol

Reply

Harry Stuart
01:22 Mar 27, 2024

We are an enigma!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shobana Gomes
06:24 Mar 25, 2024

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It has a great appeal and the story is told lightly with a touch of humor. I hope Valleri returns to San Francisco to get her heart back!

Reply

Harry Stuart
23:20 Mar 25, 2024

Thanks, Shobana! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciate your very kind comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
06:24 Mar 24, 2024

Hey Harry from SF. Wally from SJ. So glad I stumbled on your story. There are so many things to like about it.. First of all the voice you have given the MC is so earnest, flaws and all. Your writing flows easily and the details immerse the reader in the mc's thoughts, There are also so many sensory descriptions that it's easy to see what he sees and smell what he smells. Lines like these fill the imagination:"I like how the excitement floods her face, reminiscent of the lights that power Las Vegas." A few suggestions, if I may. Shorten y...

Reply

Harry Stuart
13:08 Mar 24, 2024

Thanks, Wally, for your comments. I appreciate the feedback. The idea of keeping the paragraphs shorter/tighter for the forum of reading on phones is something to keep in mind. As for the thoughts on POV, I do think that Jason, especially with him being a police officer, is surveying the patrons and Valleri for body language and surmising what they're thinking by way of their actions. He attributes shyness to Valleri when she fidgets with her hair. As the title suggests, he's interpreting his reality based on what he sees. Perhaps that help...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
04:15 Mar 24, 2024

"If you leave your heart here, then I’ll be certain to keep it safe" - such a lovely line

Reply

Harry Stuart
13:09 Mar 24, 2024

Thanks, Martha! Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
23:24 Mar 23, 2024

I think this is fabulous, so human; we see Jason fully aware of his failings, but willing to accept they are part of who he is. And are they failings when there's someone who sees him the way Valleri does? I love this exploration of how the art feels to him and his need to share it.

Reply

Harry Stuart
12:38 Mar 24, 2024

Thanks, Wendy! Appreciative of your comments. It was fun to write something a little out of my comfort zone. I do think that Jason is a genuine and honest character, simply wanting someone to share in his vision. I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
22:43 Mar 23, 2024

Nice. Easy to read. Lovely story.

Reply

Harry Stuart
13:11 Mar 24, 2024

Thanks, Darvico! I have a couple more of your recent stories to read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
22:29 Mar 23, 2024

Fascinating! So you’ve never written romance before? Maybe you should pursue that genre further. Nicely done!

Reply

Harry Stuart
13:13 Mar 24, 2024

First attempt at romance - thanks for your vote of confidence! Appreciative of your very kind words, Viga!

Reply

Viga Boland
02:12 Mar 25, 2024

My pleasure 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
LeeAnn Hively
21:59 Mar 23, 2024

It's actually rather poetic that the man focused on sexual pleasures gets to experience the feelings of a crush before ending full circle on another promise of sexual adventures to come. I'm hoping Jason has met his ideal match and gets to have many more surprising moments, but next date, make sure he buys a full bouquet rather than snatches a bloom from someone else :)

Reply

Harry Stuart
13:15 Mar 24, 2024

Duly noted on the full bouquet advice 😊 Appreciate your kind and clever comments, LeeAnn! I've been enjoying reading your works -- I'll be on the lookout for your next one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
16:57 Mar 21, 2024

Lovey. You're a closet romantic, Harry. Not that there is anything wrong with that. "-) The beginning seemed a bit ponderous and perfectly matches the MC and his loneliness. And then the story lightens as he stumbles across his light. The writing flows as his mood lifts. So, perfect again. Just a few questions. Would humanity's tendency or proclivity work better than "humanity's redundancy? And why suddenly bring in (all the) other guys. - Keeps me engaged rather than Keep us engaged and focus my thoughts rather than focus our thoughts.

Reply

Harry Stuart
17:13 Mar 21, 2024

Appreciative more than you know for your feedback, Trudy! I'm going to take another look at the edits you suggest - thank you! I was hopeful that the reader would sense and feel the changes in mood and flow as his spirits lifted. It's nice that you commented on that being conveyed. I am going to read your two recent submissions shortly - I'll provide my thoughts too, as you've been so kind to share. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
13:24 Mar 21, 2024

Harry, this was brilliant ! You had me smiling at Jason and Valleri's encounter. Such lovely way with descriptions, as well. Splendid job !

Reply

Harry Stuart
17:20 Mar 21, 2024

Thanks, Stella! Your feedback is much appreciated! Glad the story made you smile 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:51 Mar 20, 2024

Now we know all your secrets.

Reply

Harry Stuart
23:25 Mar 20, 2024

Thank goodness it's fiction, right? 😉 It's my first attempt at a romance story - not as easy as it looks. Appreciate you reading it, Mary! I'll swing back to comment on your story soon.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:06 Mar 21, 2024

Good attempt. We'll done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.