0 comments

Christian Fiction Romance

“So, are you coming tonight?” Cindy frowned then sighed. “Okay, I understand, family first. No don’t worry about me, there will be others there.

“So, everyone always says, “I’ll be there,” and you prepare and get excited and then suddenly the calls or now-a-days the texts start coming in and phooy.’ Lisa watched her friend running around picking up things, moving them around, putting them back, she was clearly upset. She kept throwing her long, red braid back behind her and it kept sliding around agitating her.

Picking a relatively slow moment Lisa asked, “So, are you upset about game night or are you really just upset that Cameron won’t be here?” Lisa dodged the pillow Cindy threw her way and smiled. “Yeah, that was what I thought.” She studied Cindy a while. “You have only known him a short while, maybe he really did have a family emergency. You have his number, text him and ask how you can help.”

Cindy stood there staring at her friend, “I . . . well . . .”

“You really like him, don’t you?” Lisa prodded.

Cindy sank slowly into the overstuffed chair, “I haven’t known him that long.” Cindy now sounded unsure of herself.

But you really, really like him and unless I have lost my innate sense about people, he really likes you too.” Lisa said softly knowing Cindy was sinking back into her fears and low self-esteem. “Come on fess up.” Perched on the arm of the chair she began unraveling her friend’s long braid.

“What are you doing?” Cindy swatted halfheartedly at Lisa’s hand.

“You have beautiful hair, and you hide it in a braid,” Lisa said as she began to brush it out. The long tresses had many shades of red, from very dark auburn to almost white. “I believe that is why he sat and talked to you that day at the pool. You were just putting it up when you got flustered and dropped it halfway through.” She smiled at Cindy again.

“Well . . . he was . . . is gorgeous, tall, tan, jet black hair hanging over one eye, those blue, blue eyes. I was drowning in them Lisa. Cindy was shaking her hands for emphasis.

“Call him!” Lisa implored her. Cindy rolled her eyes. “Then text him and ask if there is anything you can do.” Suddenly without warning Lisa reached into Cindy’s pocket and pulled her phone out and started pushing buttons.

Cindy gasped and made a grab for it, but Lisa was faster and continued the text. Lisa was tall and was standing on a chair holding the phone above her when she finished and pushed send. Then handed it back to Cindy who stood stock still, open mouthed.

Lisa giggled and ran for the bathroom, effectively escaping retribution. Within a minute the return text chimed through, and Cindy stared at the phone, nearly hyperventilating. “Hey, thanks, just hanging with my bro here at the hospital the baby is not due for 3 weeks but his wife is in labor so I am keeping him sane might be a long one.”

Cindy read it three times wondering how to answer. Finally working up some courage she answered. “Do you want some company?” She closed her eyes and danced in a circle, and then finally sent it. Laying the phone on the end table she stood staring at it like it may jump up and grab her. When it chimed, she jumped. Gingerly she picked it up and read it, “Hey I wouldn’t want to put you out, but I did really want to see you tonight.”

“LLL – Liii – saaa” she squealed, dancing in a circle. Lisa came running. She smiled and nodded as she read the texts. She punched in “See ya in a bit.” And handed the phone back to Cindy who stared at her.

“Go fix your face, leave your hair down, at least some of it, grab some coffee at the corner and go find him. Oh, and you might want some pants instead of that smock.” Cindy growled at her but did as told.

“Hey bro, I gotta go meet someone in the lobby cause she’ll never find me if I don’t. I’ll be back shortly.” Cameron told his brother as he slipped his phone into his pocket. He had no idea that his crazy grin was tipping off his brother.

“That the red head you been talking about.” Tony asked grinning at his brother.

Cameron stopped and turned back, still with a lopsided smile, he nodded. “Yeah bro, she asked if she could come sit with me. We were supposed to do this game night thing with her friends. Guess it didn’t last long.” He sighed then and Tony shook his head.

“You got it bad dude. Is she a good un?” He seriously wanted his brother to find someone, his luck with women had been all bad, most just wanted bragging rights and dumped him when he wouldn’t sleep with them.

Cameron hesitated, “We talked all afternoon that day we met. Been texting her a lot. She seems fragile you know, not really aware of how pretty and likable she is. I get lost in those green eyes man, she is just so real.” Tony shook his head.

“Be careful man, sounds like one you need to go slow here and maybe . . . just maybe she’s a keeper.” Tony said hoping that he was right.

Smiling to himself because he already knew she was, he headed down to the lobby, making sure he had ones for the vending machine he turned the corner and there she stood. “Please, please, please I know I am not family right now but maybe someday, and, and I need to find him.” He filed away the statement, ‘not family right now but maybe someday’ it lifted his spirit and encouraged his long aching heart. Her voice was not loud, but it was tinged with disappointment and urgency. Tonight, those long red curls were loose except for a single braid coming from the temple on each side and locking in back, his fingers itched to comb through it. She wore tight jeans, a soft summer green blouse and a super long emerald green knit cardigan.

He walked up quietly and stood behind her. The nurse behind the counter looked up and a tired smile crossed her lips. “The reception desk was empty and so I took a shot because he said his brother’s wife was here, please, please is there nothing you can do?” Her voice was now quite strained and laced with disappointment.

“Can you describe this man for me, maybe I have seen him?” The nurse said softly still not giving away the man behind her. He nodded smiling.

“Well, you mean Cameron or his brother? I mean maybe his brother looks like him. I hope so, but yes, yes, I can. He is tall and, built very well, umm ebony black, silky hair, it kind of lists over his right eye, and the deepest, bluest eyes, dark tan, chiseled cheeks, maybe a little bit of beard if he has been here all day. I mean because he likely has a five O’clock shadow, I mean I am not sure. Oh, the most beautiful smile, it kind of melts your, well melts your everything. I have no idea what he is wearing.” Cindy ran down a little watching the nurse whose eyes were twinkling.

“Yes, I think I have seen someone like that, he has a very blue shirt, black jeans and black, uh, motorcycle boots.” He nodded as Cindy whirled around. Now her cheeks were tinged with pink.

“Why don’t we quit bothering the nice nurse.” He said as he took her hand. She felt a warmth flow through her, then suddenly remembered and spun back around letting go of his hand to retrieve her tray of coffees. With her other hand clinging to a large bag stuffed with something she now had no hand to hold his with. He took the coffees from her and retrieved her hand. She smiled then.

He led her down the hall to a waiting room where his brother was pacing. Cameron introduced her to Tony and placed the coffees on the table. She reached over and set the cups out onto the table and then reached in that over-stuffed bag and pulled out a small paper one dumping the contents on the table. “First rule of hospitals is the coffee is terrible,” Cindy began. She nudged a cup towards Cameron. “I got coffee creamers and sugar and I remember you said you prefer tea, so I got two in case your brother likes tea too. It is black tea, I hope that is okay. I have an extra coffee in case your brother like coffee.” She looked around and sat back. I talk too much don’t I? I do that when I am nervous.”

Cameron smiled and handed his brother the other coffee. “I can’t believe you remembered I like tea, that is very thoughtful.” Cameron said warmly, he looked at his brother, who nodded. Cindy again blushed a little.

“Well why not? I listen when you, when people talk, and . . . and I’m not.” She reached for her cup and poured several flavored creamers in. “Oh, and the second rule of waiting is to have snacks.” She pulled a bag of cookies out of her big bag and also one with party mix. “It can get expensive feeding those vending machines.” Tony raised an eyebrow at his brother. Cameron shook his head slowly trying not to alert Cindy. Tony smiled then.

Cindy then pulled an Afghan out of her bag. “It can get cold too, I remember . . . it was . . . was cold . . .” her voice trailed off as memories flooded in.

Looking concerned Cameron asked, “You have experience . . . waiting I mean . . . in hospitals?”

Stirring her coffee absently she nodded. Cameron slid in beside her on the small sofa. He waited, letting her decide if she wanted to say more. “Yes, my father was here a week before he passed and my mother ten days, and my nephew and . . .” she trailed off then. She looked at Cameron with a renewed confidence. “My brother and I did okay, I looked older, and no one checked, and so we stayed in the house for a year, then I turned eighteen and graduated. I worked and Tom finished school. He joined the army, and I became a beautician.” She smiled and sipped her coffee.

Cameron was learning much more than he imagined in a very short time. “I think you have done very well. How did the game night fare?” He asked to steer the conversation from her asking about his family.

She shrugged, “Didn’t, all but Amy and Darren called off, so we let it go.” She gave him a sideways look and took a sip of coffee. “I’m sure you were the only one with a legit reason,” then she smiled. “You are easy to talk to, most guys I don’t say two words, and the last guy asked me to dinner so I would buy it for him. Lisa is always trying to find me someone.” She dropped her eyes then.

Cameron smiled and leaned closer, “Well I think you are doing fine on your own.” She looked up and found herself staring into his deep blue eyes. A shiver ran through her. Mistaking it for a chill he slipped his arm around her and pulled her up against his body then tucked the blanket in around her. Cindy was nearly breathless. “I think you are cold, let me help with that.” He said softly as he held on. Cameron glanced at Tony, his brother grinned and shook his head, then went back to pacing.

“How come you don’t have a girlfriend or . . . or a wife?” Cindy asked suddenly. Tony stopped pacing and turned in his brother’s direction wanting to hear his answer. Cindy still had her head on his shoulder, tracing the stitching on his shirt with one finger.

Clearing his throat Cameron formed an answer. “I just haven’t found the right one . . . until now.” He added the last part tentatively, watching her reaction. She was thrilled but wasn’t sure he was serious, and she started to lose her confidence. She just couldn’t see how this extremely attractive man could be so taken with her. Surely there were many very attractive women much more exciting that were attracted to him.

Tony smiled then, “Yeah well, there were others, but they dropped him when he wouldn’t sleep with them. Most were just looking for a good time or for his money, and Cam here wanted commitment.” Cameron shot his brother a look. He raised his hands in submission.

There was a short silence and then Cindy spoke softly, still caught up in the nearness of this man that fascinated her, still unsure of why he was so obviously attracted to her, at least he keeps saying so. “I am glad you have your own money, some men don’t you know, some men just want to be taken care of. Some women too I suppose, if we are here all night I guess we will need to eat breakfast. If you work, of course you work, then you can buy yours because, well right now I am short.” She was talking faster indicating she was nervous again. “I can take care of myself but only because I live with Lisa. I wouldn’t be able to be with someone, someone like Sam. I really didn’t like him anyway . . .”

She sucked in a breath as Cameron nuzzled her softly. He looked up at his brother and smiled. Tony nodded. “I could easily take care of you.” Cameron said softly, smoothing back her hair. She looked up and smiled.

“I am fine you know. If we became you know, involved, well then Lisa would just have to find another roommate.” Cindy continued to avert her eyes but kept coming back to his, soft and warm but intense. She lacked the confidence to hold his gaze. Cameron had already picked up on her lack of self-assurance, but it did not mean he could not gain her confidence. Once he accomplished that he was certain she would be his completely.

“Do you want to become involved,” he whispered, wondering if she would answer.  

She studied him a moment, then smiled softly and turned away, “We shall see.” She answered so softly he almost didn’t hear her.

“I need to go to the ladies room,” she said suddenly. Once there Cindy nearly collapsed, he did not just ask if she wanted to become involved. She couldn’t wrap her head around it. Quickly she called Lisa who answered groggily. Talking a mile a minute Cindy updated her friend, Lisa was her go-to person, her encourager.

Smiling Lisa listened patiently, “He sounds wonderful, Cin, you need to be strong and stay the course here. Until he gives a reason not to believe in him then you should.”

Tony walked over to his brother, “She has absolutely no idea who you are, does she?”

Cameron grinned, “No, and the longer it stays that way the better. I have a feeling that if she finds out too soon, she may bolt.” He knew that this was a woman that must be handled delicately. She is so lacking in self-esteem she could easily crumble. If he could gain her confidence, then he could help her believe more in herself.

“Cameron,” another voice grated on his ears, “I have been calling and calling you. What is wrong with answering?” Tanisha came striding from the elevator.

“Mr. Sterling.” A nurse motioned for Tony to follow her. Cindy walked up behind Tanisha who as busy retrieving her phone. Cameron tried to dodge Tanisha, he wanted to get a hand on Cindy, afraid Tanisha would cause her to bolt. “You must talk to Miranda, Jason left.”

This stopped Cameron in his tracks, just as he managed to grab onto Cindy’s hand. “What do you mean left?” This was the first time she had seen Cameron at a loss.

“Left, as in found some chicky and jetted off to Paris for the weekend.” Tanisha said harshly letting her disgust show.

“But he can’t!” Anger colored his voice. “He was put in charge of this because he speaks fluent Spanish, I don’t and neither does Tony.” Cindy could feel the rigidity of Cameron’s body. For once she forgot herself and sought to soothe him. She slipped an arm around his, the one still holding her other hand tightly, and laid her cheek against his shoulder.

“Miranda said something about the Cartel, I cannot understand her and there are no translators available. They mean business Cameron.” Tanisha was now handing the phone to Cameron. “Someone has to figure out what’s happening or this company just sank millions into a pile of sand in Puerto Verde.”

Staring at Tanisha Cameron was still at a loss, it was clear now why Jason left, he ran into trouble and bailed. He stared at the phone it was ringing. He had no idea what to do, and the company had millions riding on this deal.

 Cindy plucked the phone from Cameron’s hand just as a female voice said hello. “I speak Spanish,” she said quietly as Cameron stared at her completely amazed. She acknowledged the caller and greeted her then listened. “The Citadel Cartel wants in on the deal or they are going to cause havoc and prevent you from building.” She said quietly waiting for his response her heart rate had just doubled wondering what she was getting into.

End part one

July 29, 2021 20:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.