0 comments

Fantasy Drama

I woke quickly, and the moment I attempted to stand, somebody carefully pushed me back. Not in a shove, though I think if I were shoved, I’d probably topple over. I attempted to push back, but the moment my right hand pressed against the stranger, it burned horribly. I grimace, sitting down again before glaring at who was standing before me. My eyes landed on Eyvindr. He looked like he hadn’t slept in a few days.  

“Hey, careful. You’re lucky you’re alive,” He says.

I shake my head and attempt to get up. “Where are they?” I say. The pain in my side hurts even more, and I grasp Eyvindr’s arm.

“Where are who?” He says, frowning as he looks at me. “Sit now.”

“Ǫlrún and Víðarr, where are they?” I say.

Eyvinder swallows as he looks at me.

“No, no, no, no,” I say, attempting to take a step forward, only for my legs to give out beneath me. “I promised them. I promised that they wouldn’t end up there again.”

I woke up a while later and found Eyvinder tacking up two horses. I frown, glancing around myself. “Where’re you going?” I ask. It wasn't the first time I was scared about him leaving. I felt scared every time he left. But this time, it was different. I can’t have him lose after I lose Ǫlrún and Víðarr.

Eyvinder sighs as he turns to look at me. I felt a pain tighten in my chest as I waited for him to say it. Goodbye. I don’t know why; it just felt worse all of a sudden.

“I’m going to the palace,” He admits. “You’re coming. Don’t leave your ax.” He nods to something to my left.

I frown, glancing to my left. My ax was there, leaned up on the sharpening anvil. “What?” I say, looking back at Eyvindr.

He sighs. “You want to know the last time I saw you that worried about somebody?” He says, walking over to me.

I swallow but shrug.

“It was with me. It was every time you would get hurt, and would wake up, and would only calm down when you saw me. That’s how I know you actually care,” He says. “So grab your ax, and let’s go.”

I smile softly as I look at my younger brother. “You’ll be wanted for treason,” I admit.

He shrugs. “Just following in my big brother’s footsteps,” He says, patting my shoulder and smiling.

I chuckle as I pick up the ax–careful to use my left hand–then follow him. “We could be arrested and hung,” I say.

Eyvindr shrugs. “We could. First time for everything, I guess,” He admits.

I couldn’t help but laugh. What an optimist!

The trip to the palace was a long month-long trip. Each and every night, I nearly had a panic attack, just from how relentless my thoughts had been. But here I was, standing before the king and queen with an ax blade positioned just beneath the queen’s chin. “Where. Are. They?” I say. 

She lifts her head, her throat open and vulnerable as she holds my gaze. Víðarr had her piercing blue eyes. Víðarr had his father's look, though. Ǫlrún had her mother’s stubbornness. Ǫlrún also had her father’s dark brown eyes. “Why would I tell you?” She asks, a harsh bitterness in her voice.

“Because, unlike somebody, I am the only damn person who sees to realize their children,” I say, lifting the blade slightly. “You paid me to murder them a year ago. I am the only reason they're still alive.”

“Are you?” She says. “And what if I told you Sindr already buried them? What then?”

“Then I guess I get to find out what it’s like when a country is no longer ruled,” I say, beginning to press the dull side of the blade against her throat.

She presses her back against the throne. “They're not dead,” She pipes up at last. 

I lower the blade. “Then where are they?” I say.

She clenches her jaw, her eyes darting to the guards, who had been ordered not to move. She nods her head, just slightly so the blade won’t press against her neck. 

I glance towards Eyvindr, who held a dagger to the king’s throat. I knew he wouldn’t kill him; he made me promise no killing halfway here. The king and queen didn’t know that, though.

I glance over my shoulder as the door swings open. Ǫlrún and Víðarr step inside, but when my eyes land on Sindr, I go rigid. I keep the blade near the queen's throat.

“They're right there! Get this ax–”

“Sindr,” I say. “Other side of the room. Now.”

Sindr doesn’t move.

I glance at Víðarr, noticing an ever-slight movement. He carefully, ever so slowly, slides the dagger from his holster and passes it to his sister, who slides it up her sleeve. “I kill her; you lose your paycheck,” I say, adjusting my grip on the ax. I'd do it if I needed to throw this thing to ensure Sindr didn’t hurt them.

Sindr chuckles. “Oh, yeah, you couldn’t kill two brats. You think you could– Ah!” He broke off in a choke-out scream as Ǫlrún buried the dagger into his leg and quickly pulled her brother away from Sindr towards me. 

I smile softly. I glance at Eyvindr, nodding my head. 

He keeps his blade beneath the king's throat while keeping an eye on the queen. 

I walk over to where Ǫlrún and Víðarr stood. They both smile up at me. “Good job,” I say, winking at them. “Sindr, I’m giving you one chance to leave, right? Go someplace; get over your pride,” I say. “And if you see me again, it’s not going to be a ten year old who stabs you, it’ll be me.”

Sindr glares at me in the kneeled position.

I nod, turning back to the king and queen. I nod to Eyvindr, and he steps away. “And you are going to go on and pretend they're dead, just as you intended,” I say. “We will be far away from here, not bothering you, and you will leave us alone.”

“Or what?” The queen says, rolling her eyes.

I narrow my eyes. “Or, I will come here myself, and take both of your thrones and give it to them,” I nod to the two young kids who stood just behind me. “And I don’t bluff about anything. Are we clear?” 

The Queen and King share a look before nodding. 

I nod. “Great. Let’s go,” I say.

Ǫlrún and Víðarr follow me, Víðarr skipping while Ǫlrún pulls on my sleeve.

I look down, tilting my head in acknowledgment.

“Thanks for coming back for us,” She says quietly. “I… I got a little scared, actually, for a little bit. I thought… I guess I thought you might’ve given us back?”

I smile at Ǫlrún. “Ǫlrún?” I say.

She looks at me.

“I’d never do that, okay? You’re stuck with me.” I say.

She and Víðarr laugh as we walk.

January 28, 2024 00:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.