The Trip

Submitted into Contest #209 in response to: Set your entire story in a car.... view prompt

0 comments

American Happy Inspirational

The Trip

We agreed to drive back to Washington D.C. together from Oceanside C.A. Two broke privates with 30 days leave on the books to burn. The crazy part was, we thought we’d be saving money by driving on this trip. But when you considered it was 4 days each way. With the price tag of $200 for gas each go. We’d probably have been better off flying. But we were 2 young and dumb military lads, both believing this was the right move.

We hit the I-10 heading east at approximately 8pm on a Thursday night. Starting our leave and beginning a road trip that would last for at least 37 ½ hours if we pushed it. I planned to drive through the night. Figuring we could knock out the initial 12 hours that night, putting a huge dent in the overall trip. Lance Corporal Alejandro was my companion. Which was cool as we were platoon mates. We both had been surprised that our unit had granted the two of us leave at the same time. Which prompted us to agree to ride back together. Being that he was from Langley Park, MD, which was just outside of Washington D.C...  And I resided in Silver Spring, MD, which was just a hop, skip, and jump from Langley Park, MD. It made perfect sense to make the trek together.  

“This state is huge”! “Beautiful and endless, but vast”, I exclaimed. Realizing that we wouldn’t hit Arizona for hours. The crazy part was, we saw snow in the rearview mirror as we made our way north. Stepping on the gas to outrun the storm. Which was news to me as I only knew about the sun and fun of California. “Hey devil-dog, what do you have planned for your vacation”? I asked Alejandro. Who was as new to the west coast as I was.   

“Well, it’s been a while since I’ve been able to relax and be myself. Especially being around all that testosterone and constantly having to prove myself. So, I think I’ll just drink some beer and chill out for the first couple of days. Looking to get re-acquainted with friends and family. Once I’m back on track and fully rested. I plan to take my girl out for a night “on” the town. If she’ll still have me. Because with our training schedule, it’s been next to impossible to keep our relationship going. But she’s a hottie! So much so, I can’t seem to end it. However, I’m also not ready to get married. Which is the only way the military is going to accept us as a couple. And while she hasn’t said anything yet, I know it’s coming”, Alejandro confided in me. We continued filling up the car with laughter and uncertainty as we drove. “Do you mind”, Alejandro asked. Holding up a vape container in one hand and his cellphone in the other. 

“Not at all” I replied. As the vaping smoke wouldn’t bother me. And I was more than happy to let him play DJ for a while. It’s funny, when you get to Marine combat training after bootcamp. Approximately 15% of the platoon smokes cigarettes. But by the end of the month, 90% of the platoon is smoking. It truly is a lesson in monkey see, monkey do.  As it was my first introduction to the peer pressures of a group dynamic. Now I must admit. When you’re out in the field trying to hold on to your last MRE. A cigarette or a cigar will buy you a couple of hours of relief from the hunger pains.    

We entered Arizona in the wee hours of the morning. Which was a positive sign as it signified, we were “making” good time. Alejando, for his part, had been a good choice as a wingman. Because he was willing and able to talk about a host of issues keeping my attention. Which was interesting, as I thought I knew him. But this trip gave me new insight into his soul on a scale I’d never seen before. The beauty of the military is that in bootcamp and the training which follows. One gets to experience the highs and lows of military life. While seeing the best and worst of those around you. Meaning, you don’t have to fill in the blanks as to who are the different personalities in your platoon. Because by that time everyone had become an open book. Which subconsciously makes you like a family. Negating any reason to act tough or put on a certain air.   Because the whole platoon has seen each other fight, run, shoot, and perform all sorts of tasks. In other words, the cat was let out of the bag a long time ago. Shining a light on how everyone is truly wired.

I couldn’t get Pearl Jam’s Yellow Ledbetter out of my head as I pumped the gas. For some reason its harmonic cadence took me to another place entirely. In a way which was perfect for this road trip. Scanning the area, we were now deep inside Arizona. Which looked like one great big desert. We had been up this way in training before. But it had been only briefly, for about a week. And it all looked different now in the dark. Shivering profusely, the radio DJ mentioned how the temperature had dropped significantly. Registering a 110-degrees during the daytime hours. Only to fall to under 60-degrees that night. “How do people live like this”? I thought to myself.   

Just then, Alejandro returned to the vehicle with 2 chilidogs in hand. One for each of us. But I wasn’t hungry and politely refused. Besides, the last thing I needed to deal with was an upset stomach due to gas station food. Though Alejandro didn’t seem to mind. Wolfing-down the first one before beginning on the second. “Damn, you’re eating like we’re still in bootcamp”, I responded. As we both burst into laughter recalling those days. “Do you remember when our unit was up here pulling targets for the pilots”, I asked him. “We went out one night and they only had one club in the whole town for everybody. All the heavy metal people were huddled in one corner. Country music fans in another. And the Rap and R&B crew took up a third. The DJ would play a song catering to one specific group. Only to switch it up when the music finished, satisfying each genre”, I remembered fondly. “I almost forgot about that”, Alejondro laughed, semi choking on his hotdog.   

“So, what do you think of the military so far”? I followed up. Making our way back onto the highway. “Well personally, I joined the Corps to see the world. And no matter if it’s going on leave or traveling with the unit. I’m happy just being out and about. Because before signing up for the Marines. I had only been to Washington D.C. and Maryland. But now, within the first year of my military service. I’ve been to both North and South Carolina. And traveled all over the country, spanning numerous places. And I hear our unit is slated to head overseas later this year. So, I’m as happy as a lark, as I got my wish”, Alejandro responded.  

We drove through Arizona and then into New Mexico. Chatting and singing songs from Alejandro’s playlist. Next up was Oklahoma, where we grabbed some coffee from a drive through. Before continuing onto Arkansas. By the time we made it to Memphis, Tennessee. We decided to stop and refresh. Which proved to be a hoot, as Beale Street was jumping, and the ladies were flirting. I was still under 21 years of age and not much of a drinker. So, the alcohol offered in the local clubs held little attraction to me. But Alejandro was 21 years of age and loved to drink. Which explained why we got sidetracked as he made the most of the experience. As a matter of fact, if it wasn’t for me, he’d have probably ended up married or worse. Because Alejandro was a hit with the ladies. But the local hucksters appeared to want to “roll” that inebriated out-of-towner. Causing me to eventually pull him out of the partying so we could get back on the road. And it didn’t take long before he passed-out next to me after I got him in the vehicle. On another note, I probably still have some enemies in Memphis, as the ladies were begging me to let him stay. Because that character was buying people drinks and dancing with every single skirt available. But we had to go, as Nashville, Tennessee, awaited us.

Upon nearing Nashville, I began to feel fatigued. Fighting droopy eyes and the inclination to dose off. Shifting in my seat, I adjusted the car’s air conditioning system to try and get a jolt. Before realizing, “Hell, that’s not the answer”. I then navigated through the radio stations hoping to find something that would catch my fancy. But finding nothing. Alejandro’s phone was still linked to the car’s system Therefore, it was the radio or nothing. Eventually I turned everything off completely. Deciding to ride in silence. Which meant it was just me and the road until Nashville, Tennessee. And it wasn’t long before my eyelids grew heavy and began to close. Suddenly, I was jolted back to reality. As a full-size Mac-truck going in the opposite direction came barreling across the medium strip, directly towards me. It must have been traveling at approximately 70 miles per hour. And the way things were looking, I had seconds to implement a reaction strategy. Funnily enough, I remember experiencing a peaceful calm taking over my body. I wasn’t scared, I wasn’t nervous, just cognizant of everything taking place occurring in slow motion. A split second away from jerking my car to the left. The truck veered right, suddenly recrossing the wide grassy medium strip again. Almost as if the trucker had dozed off to sleep and suddenly awoke to realize his error. “Wow, that could have been ugly”, I thought to myself.  Glancing at my sidekick, who was still sound asleep and clueless to the ongoings. My emotions ventured all over the place as I continued to drive. Just happy to be alive. While white knuckling the steering wheel as I went. The more time that elapsed between the incident and the current moment. The more my heartbeat increased. Which was interesting. As I literally got more fearful the further, I got away from the incident. Now nearing the outskirts of Nashville, TN. I decided it was as good a time as any to take a break. Pulling into a rather shabby looking diner to gas up, freshen up, and wake up. Before exiting the vehicle, I attempted to jostle Alejandro. First physically and then verbally. But he was in a deep slumber from the “liquid courage”.  I figured it was probably best just to let him be. So, I cracked the windows after parking in a very visible location.    

Entering the café, I grabbed a booth next to the window so I could keep an eye on Alejandro and my vehicle. That way, if he did wake up or get out of the car disoriented. I could quickly respond and guide him inside.

“Hey honey, what can I get you”? A perky heavy-set waitress asked me, arriving at the table and pouring me a cup of coffee. Which was piping hot as the steam cascaded upwards along with the delicious smell. Handing me a menu the waitress scurried off promising to be back. And when she did return, I ordered the big country breakfast. As it was almost 3am and time for breakfast anyway. “Damn, I love her southern drawl”, I thought to myself. Acknowledging that her accent alone was worth the cost of the meal.

Periodically looking outside to scan the parking lot. I kept my eyes peeled for Alejandro. Even though I thought the chance of him waking up soon was slim. When the food arrived, I was pleasantly surprised at how appealing it looked. “Wow, that’s a lot of goodness”, I said smiling at the waitress. There was no way I would be able to finish this in one sitting. Therefore, my worry shifted to whether all this food was going to make me sleepy. After all it was “southern comfort” food. And we all knew how crippling that could be. The plate was loaded with scrambled eggs, sausage, grits, hash browns, pancakes, and buttered toast. While it all looked tasty, I ate carefully so as not to stuff myself. All the while sipping coffee to wash everything down with.

By 4am we were back on the road. And Alejandro was still asleep. When he did finally come to it was close to 8am in the morning. And he appeared to be significantly hung over. “You hungry”? I inquired. As Alejandro stretched, and “came-to” slowly. “Let’s get some breakfast in you from McDonalds. As well as some much-needed water. Which will also give me a chance to stretch and walk a bit”, I interjected. “Sounds like a plan to me”, Alejandro responded.

McDonald’s was just a few exits down the highway, so we’d be there momentarily. I was tired, having seriously underestimated the wear and tear on my body of this trip. And we went through the drive thru when we arrived. I left Alejandro in the vehicle as I got out to walk around. Taking in the scenery, as dogwalkers sauntered by. They were totally oblivious to each other unless their animals showed interest in one and other.

“So, what do you think of the Corps”? Alejando asked when I returned. “You know, I was a pretty good athlete in school. Which I thought would prepare me for boot camp. But when I got down to Parris Island. The Marine Corps totally “kicked my butt”. Not because the training was so tough. But because I had never been physically challenged before beyond my breaking point. When you train yourself physically, there are no surprises. But when you do it in someone else’s time frame. Well, the ambiguity of not knowing proves brutal. And I quickly learned that Marine Corps bootcamp was not the place to find out what you’re made of physically. Nevertheless, it was a real-life lesson for me. And if there was one positive to take away from the experience. It was that while being only 18 years of age. I was able to harness the grit and determination to claw my way through it. All the while, learning to stand on my own 2 feet”, I responded.

“Give me a funny story”? Alejandro followed up.

“I can do that”, I replied. “So, we just finished Marine combat training and I haven’t been paid since boot camp. There is no such thing as direct deposit yet. Therefore, I realistically won’t see any new money until I get to my permanent duty station. Which to me was unacceptable, as I needed a paycheck. But to the Marine Corps it was business as usual. Because they had warned us all that this would probably happen. And to spend our money frugally as we didn’t know when we’d be paid again. Now, for those married Marines whose families were back home hurting. There was a special program available. They simply needed to sign a list requesting a meeting with the commanding officer. Who would instruct the financial office to cut them a separate check for their families. Well, don’t ask me what I was thinking. But for some reason I added my name to the list. And after waiting in the headquarters for what seemed like forever. I was finally called into the office. Rendering the proper salutation as I approached. The commanding officer didn’t even look up from his paperwork to witness this greeting. Gruffly, responding, “what”? I immediately launched into what I deemed as a heartfelt sob story. Highlighting how I needed money for this and that, before he stopped me mid-sentence. He then looked up to make eye contact with me. Inquiring as to whether I had a meal card for the “chow hall”? “Yes, sir”, I replied. He then asked if I had received a full uniform issue upon graduating boot camp. Again, I answered with a resounding, “yes sir”. And lastly, he questioned whether I was living in the barracks. To which I again answered, “yes sir”. Then as if on cue, he leapt up from his seat grabbing a paperweight off his desk. Before hurling it at the wall on his left. Yelling, “well then you got no problems, get the hell out of my office”! Scrambling for my life I didn’t even render the proper exit salutation.

Alejandro was in tears laughing next to me when I finished up the story. “That’s awesome”, he chimed in. “The funny thing is, whenever life gets hard. I revisit that moment remembering those words”, I followed up. Highlighting how the experience has stayed with me and allowed me to forge ahead in times of angst.     

“Let’s cross into Virginia”, I exclaimed. Starting the vehicle up before reentering the highway. The rest of the trip was uneventful. And the only question left was if Alejandro was driving back with me or flying at the end of the month.

In a nutshell, this trip has taught me that the journey is usually worth it. Because this type of education is invaluable. As you’ll learn as much about yourself as you will about others. Elevating one’s understanding of humanity and the dynamics of life in general. 

August 04, 2023 16:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.