The Princess that had three suitors

Submitted into Contest #125 in response to: Write a story including the phrase “Better late than never”.... view prompt

1 comment

Coming of Age Fantasy

The story tells that King Oba had a beautiful and delicate daughter who represented everthing to her father, she had three suitors named; IKU, ARO and OFO. Everyday the Princess complained to her father that she couldn't decide which of the suitors to choose for a husband.

FOr Oba this represented a problem, he didn't want to generate conflicts and revenge because he was a man of peace, but time was of the essense and he knew that if he gave his daughter to one of the suitors the other two would seek revenge.

So as not to anger the life of his beloved daughter, Oba decided to become a dove so that he could perch himself on a leafy tree with multicolored flowers, which represented all the virtues that his reign enjoyed. Oba felt inmensely unhappy because of the problem that disturbed his thoughts.

That night while asleep he discovered the solution in a deep sleep.

He then issued a official statement tp his entire Kingdom, which said:

"Whoever brings me an Abani (Mystical animal) will marry my daughter." But in those days, the Abani were very rare and difficult to hunt.

Near the palace there lived a Sitiera (Ranch owner) who loved the Princess, and although he adored her in silence, he made the decision to hunt and capture the Abani. His one problem, he was always late for everything so he went to consult with Orula the wise soothsayer for advice, he thought to himself, it's "Better Late than Never."

The consultation resulted in IFA (Ifa was a Yoruba religion and a system of divination. So Orula told him he had to do and Ebbo (Cleansing) he had to get slugs, cascarilla (a white powder) a meringue and a white fabric and a stick about his size. Finally he recommended he go to the mountains to sing afterwards.

The Sitier did everything that the soothsayer entrusted to him and with a very melodious voice he sang in the mountains, and the echoes of his voice were enchanting.

IKU who was one of the suitors of the princess was walking near those paths with a bag and the Abani, requested by the Oba the King, and when he heard the attractive melody his bag with the Abani fell off his stick and he became petrified.

When the Sitier saw this, he took the opportunity to pick up the sack and took the Abani to Oba. He had to hurry before any of the other suitors appeared before the King. But he succeeded and was able to show Oba the Abani thanks to Orula the wise soothesayer's advice, his word never fails.

Oba was happy and said to the Sitier, "Better Late than Never."

This is how Oba was able to choose a good husband for his daughter.

So goes the story that by order of King Oba that Orula, Eshu and Oggun, IKU, ARO and OFO were now trapped without being able to do the happy couple any harm.

So after a beautiful wedding at the palace, it was decided by the Princess that she would go live with her husband on his farm, Oba was not too happy about it since someday his daughter would be Queen but for the time being he agreed and allowed them to live on the Sitiera's farm.

Five years have passed and there had been a pretty bad drought and the farm was not doing well, nothing was growing or dying. The Farmer didn't know what to do and then his wife said to him, Why don't we ask father for help or we can go back and live in the palace.

He thought about it but he was a proud man and said no to his wife. But the princess seeing her husband so upset and depressed,one day she told her husband she was going into town for a few groceries but, she was really going to see her father.

When she got to the palace her father was happy to see her but alas she was not happy. She told him the whole story and so Oba not liking to see his beautiful daughter suffering he said he would help but, she said it would have to be in a way that her husband wouldn't find out it was he helping them So...

It has always been said in the Yoruba religion that the pumpkin should not be eaten because it houses all the wealth in the world. In addition to that, this fruit has a close relationship to the Queen Oshun and Goddess of Love. So the young couples of Oba's Kingdom would make offerings and prayed for Prosperity and Love.

Oshun made the Pumpkin the first lamp which she cared for and protected pregnant women, it was also her piggy bank, it's ancestral meaning hides many secrets and that is why it is sacred and highly respected in the rules of the Yoruba Religion.

Oba knew this of Queen OShun and decided he would ask for her help.

He went to visit Oshun at her palace...

Here it will explain Oshun's relationship with this powerful fruit and wealth. Once there they sat having a cup of tea and he explains to her his daughter's dilema. So Oshun begins to tell him The beautiful Yoruba Legends tells that there was a time when the Orishas (Other kings and Queens) lived in sumptuous palaces full of wealth and flaunted their prosperity.

And even the God Olofin enjoyed the good and prosperous life and therfore every eight moons he gave a party and invited all the other Orishas and the people of the Kingdoms to celebrate with them. To all who came he gave gold coins and Jewels to increase their wealth.

Oba and Oshun go to visit the God Olofin who happend to be Oshun's father, the palace was getting ready for the big party. An official announcement was sent out to everyone in the Olofin's Kingdom.

Oba's daughter was walking in town one day with her husband and saw the announcement, the beautiful Princess said to her husband we should go to this party and he said, things are not going well we are living in misery even if we have our own Ranch, I don't want to visit Olofin's house because of our economic situation.

Olofin, aware of the couples situation, decided to change the way of giving gifts. I wouldn't give away any gold coins or Jewelry so they wouldn't be offended.

At the next Olofin's party to take place, all the guests were dressed as always in their new and best clothes and went up for the celebration.

But when the host received them, he gave each one, to their surprise a large pumpkin, which they should not reject as they could make Olofin very angry. When they came down from Olofin's Palace, they all commented that this time the God Olofin had not given them a gift worthy of their economic position. They were in that argument when they accidently crossed paths with Oba's Beautiful daughter the Princess and her husband.

When they saw the couple, they all realized from their clothes, the very bad situation they were going through and for that reason they asked the couple if they had anything to eat, to which she answered no.

So they all decided to give the pumpkins that Olofin gave them to the couple so that they could use them to eat and thus get rid of the annoying gift.

The humble couple offered their thanks, because with that amount of pumpkins they would have food for good weather, and not have to worry about their bad luck. they also noticed the pumpkins were heavy, but they ignored it and went ahead with joy at the good food they would make.

When they put the pumpkins in their kitchen the princess told her husband she would make sweet pies with the fruit to enjoy like never before. With that said, he took the pumpkin in his hands and broke it. Thus he was in total suprise he discovered that the gourd was full of jewels and gold and also all the other ones that were given to them were also full of Jewels and Gold.

From that day forward they were suddenly the richest among all the people from that realm.

This was a lesson in humility, gratitude and simplicity for all those who despised a divine gift from the God Olofin. The Princess said to her husband, you see my love in the end everything worked out, and he replied it's "Better Late than Never"

December 20, 2021 00:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Michael Regan
18:56 Dec 30, 2021

The ideas are good but it reads like two stories that were joined together for no apparent reason.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.