0 comments

General

She twists her hands nervously as she watches the performances happening before her. Her heartbeat seems to speed up every time they called a new singer out.

Every now and then when there is a big event or holidays like Christmas or winter break, karaoke would happen in the library. Of course, despite many students finding it lame at first, the library was the biggest hangout of the school during lunch. especially with over three thousand kids sharing the same lunch break.

If you had asked any of her family members they would say that she would be excited about this, the first one to sign up. But that couldn't be further from the truth.

In some other parallel universe that would actually be true. She grew to have a passion for all types of music since she was dancing at a young age. There wasn't a moment in the day when she wasn't singing under her breath songs that pop up in her head. She had a love for Movie/Musical soundtracks, but she also wouldn't mind trendy pop songs that climb the charts and claim the internet as their territory. She had a passion for the fast-paced, rap songs that she can't help but get her blood rushing too. But on the other hand, she took a liking to classical music and gain interest in the piano and violin.

As long as she can remember she's been told that she had a great voice, even been told to join the church's choir.she grew confident in her abilities, and albeit a bit arrogant, saying that she would be able to win competitions. She couldn't go a day without singing and dancing around the house. Singing from dusk till dawn until her voice started cracking.

Singing was her passion just as much as dance but they couldn't help but get tired of her voice. She only started to decide to get a second opinion when her older sister said she was tone death.

She recorded her singing using her phone one day and what she heard back truly shocked and embarrassed her. She realizes that she probably did not have the voice of an angel as she previously thought. So she decides to tone it down a notch.

But that didnt stop her from doing what she loves, enjoys.

And here she is, standing in an abandoned part of the library with most students sitting frot a center watching the show. Anxiously waiting for her turn, wondering if she had made a big mistake and if it was too late to back out.

She can't help but hyperventilate, anxiety acting up.

'All those eyes on her...'

She wanted to sing, it became an urge, an addiction almost. That's why despite the nerves that were settling in at the pits of her stomach, making her feel just straight up puking, she signed her name on the signup sheet.

But now as reality sets in and she finally processed the consequences of her actions.....

If she does go up there and sing so confidently with a not so great voice. that would pretty much be the end of her, social suicide straight up. The little she has, that can be called a social life, would be ruined.

She can't help but cast a heated stare up towards the front of the library, at the present singer, as he just sings the word tequila over and over again. Quite obviously enjoying himself.

But if she doesn't do this, she can't help but feel like she'll regret it later on.

she wasn't the type that would let fear hold herself back. She's usually the one for challenges but this one......

was truly a big step for her.

Her breaths become more ragged as she not only felt mentally tired but physically torn. She didn't know what to do and that scared her quite a bit.

She only snapped out of her inner turmoil as the moment she has been waiting for happens.

"Next is Ayana Jackson singing "Never Enough" from The Greatest Showman" Ms.Z, the librarian and MC, announces.

As quickly as she can, she makes her way over; not wanting any unnecessary attention on her, just wanting to get this over with and crawl back in her little nook.

She held the microphone tightly as she stands before hundreds of her peers, maybe even thousand with most of them filming this. She takes a deep breath and tries to calm down her racing heart.

She moves in her place, trying to get rid of the nerves.

Attempting to shake her legs awake feeling like their sleeping.

She remembers with previous performances and how they didnt seem to be taking this seriously.

How they sing in overexaggerated voices, joking around with their friends that would sit upfront to get the best view for their camera.

'Just Have Fun.'

As the music starts, she decided to make a quick joke to try and put her nerves to rest.

"First of all, I just like to sincerely apologize for the utterly horrid voice you all are about heard."

The small chuckles and laughs she got in return sem to have given her the reassurance and the confidence boost she needs.

She took a deep breath and did the one thing she never did since she got there.

She has begun to relax.

Still moving from side to side, she can't help but smile and began singing.

It wasn't until the middle where she was actually relaxed and threw caution to the wind.

There were some highs and there were some lows. There was definitely cracking but there were also moments where she sang just as confident as she felt.

She didn't know what to feel except immense happiness and a bit of pride when her ending was meant with applause.

It definitely gave her the courage to sign up to do another song later.

And she would really appreciate it if everybody pretends they don't notice the shy yet happy grin when she was complimented on her singing the day before. her singing from the day before.

July 18, 2020 03:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.