0 comments

Fantasy Romance Teens & Young Adult

Can't believe this is happening! I ran my hands over my curly hair once again, as Hailey's purple car sped through the streets. My hands were sweaty, and my heart couldn't stop beating so hard. Excitement and nerves bristled.

I could finally have a real interaction with actual humans. I couldn't recall when I've had a real conversation with them. It's either I'm paying for groceries at the market, walking past them on the streets, or paying a form of bill or the other, but never a real interaction.

Dad would never let me communicate with them, or send me to a real school. Since mom...

Don't think about that right now! My one chance to feel, normal. What would they be like? would they like me? Find me boring? Would there be other witches there too? The thought of that -

"Hey girl, calm your heart. I can hear it beating even over the music. What the hell's even playing?" Hailey reached out, switching to her rock girl jam. Something she had admitted to playing anytime she was going on 'mission baad and crazy' as she put it. Also something I always bugged her for. Now I was the ring leader of mission bad and crazy.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Guilt was already churning for sneaking behind dad's back. He was going to be very worried, especially since it's my seventeenth birthday. The day the whole flickers of different types magic turned into one definite power.

Hailey was lucky to have had hers early, as predicted from her birth - something common to all witches. Lucky to also have her parents be a little less uptight than mine.

Dad also used to be not so uptight. Until we lost mom, now he wasn't taking any chances with me. Home schooled, not much people to talk to, no witches. Asides Hailey, my best and only friend, also the only witch dad would let me have a full interaction with, solely because our families were close. Else it wasn't safe for me - a half human - and so vulnerable with my flickering powers, to be around full blood witches. Even if every other witch has to go through this phase…

Hailey snapped her fingers at me, "Zoning out again? I was talking to you." She waved her hand uncaringly while keeping the other firmly on the steering wheel. "Well, like I was saying, you've got to chill. You already know this is the only chance for you to go out and have fun with no magic surprises. Your powers have dulled out since this morning, and won't be activated until close to midnight today, and…"

"I know all this." I interrupted with a roll of my eyes. "And I also know you have been through all of this before, blah, blah, blah"

She tossed her long brunette hair over her shoulder, with a jut of her chin and a one sided grin "Well you'd know that, since you have nothing but the best as your partner in crime over here"

Partner in crime. Hailey had come over at my house to visit and talk about normal school and her classmates, as usual. And dad had let us be, going out to prepare for my big night, encouraging me to stay calm and wait at home till he gets back. He had to take quite a while, and Hailey had told me of a surprise she had for my birthday, when he was gone. My heart had skipped when she told me she could sneak us to a party 'popping' this evening at a friend's place. A witch.

She'd said there would be humans. And I could interact with them because I couldn't harm them! At least for the better part of today.

My mom's powers had been detrimental. She couldn't control them and it killed her. Despite her being trained and mature. My grandma also had issues with her powers at a younger age too, and it kinda runs in the blood.

My human dad, being the only human I wasn't able to hurt because he was a blood relation - not that I've gone close enough to even know if I could hurt others - had been overly protective, letting me only take magic practice at Hailey's with her mom being our instructor. She didn't mind tutoring me. She was my mom's good friend. And my dad was my regular school instructor. My life was so one dimensional and straightforward, I had agreed to Hailey's birthday 'gift' without telling her how ridiculous her plan was - like I always did. Except her plan wasn't sounding so ridiculous today. That threw even Hailey aback, but she was totally up for the fun day and couldn't wait. I was still feeling a bit skeptical about this, but I guess opportunities like this didn't just pop up every other day. Get in, enjoy a bit of the party, get out. All in time.

"We're here" Hailey turned the car and rode to a drive that led to probably the biggest house I've ever seen. Lights already beamed from the inside, and some people were just heading in. Real people I could talk to.

This is happening…

I took deep breaths as Hailey drove for the garage - which seemed to be already teeming with cars, of every colour.

I guess everyone here has got some style then, as opposed to my pretty simple self. But Hailey had me dressed up for the night in a short black silk gown, jaunty hills, and had my black hair flowing freely, curling about my shoulders. Surely that had to count for something.

"Some place huh?" Hailey said, trying to find a spot to park "I know, I was also impressed when I visited the first time. Just calm your nerves and you'll be fine. Remember what I told you, don't act nervous. Anyone stares at you, come back right at them, and most importantly, have fun!" She frowned "Damn, they got all the good spots"

She turned the car, parking in where has to be a not so great spot, according to her. Then she hopped out, righting her own maroon, but similar dress.

Getting outside, it seemed so much louder than when we were inside the car. We walked over to the entrance. Calm the nerves… calm the nerves…

The house's interior was even more exquisite. With beautiful chandeliers dangling from the top and people at every turn. Most of which Hailey appeared to know, introducing me to them. They seemed quite friendly. The pretty host too.

I was actually killing it. Except for the stares when we entered and me being able to sense witches amongst us, having a feeling that they could sense us too. Because most turned to glance more than once at me. With my chin up, I'd donned a facade of utter confidence, though the witches could probably sense how nervous I was.

There were manueverers, enthrallers, and even mind readers as Hailey had explained. Hailey was a maneuverer. Most witches were naturally immune to these abilities. Abilities which all seemed to come at the most unfortunate times to me, even if other witches could handle theirs much better. At least until their power stabilized to just one during their late teens. Mine would, soon…

Just then a boy who had to be no more than two years older than me walked in. He had blond hair falling just above his eyes, rippling muscles, probably a bit too big for someone his age, he was tall, and had what seemed to look like blue eyes - at least from the distance we stood.

He was human. I could sense it. And he was walking to me? Just then, I noticed the crowd had stopped their discussions to stare at him. And now at me.

Hailey leaned in to whisper, "He's the hottest in the school. Tread careful with that one, bit flirty" then she left. Everyone went back to what they were doing. Like this wasn't new.

He stood right in front of me, his features even more pronounced now that we were closer. Wow. "Hello, pretty. I haven't seen you before. You must be new here?"

Trying to collect myself, I answered,

"Oh um, yeah. I'm here with Hailey. She's right over there. The brunette…" I pointed to Hailey, who gave me a pointed wink. Seriously? Not now.

I turned back to him, and he seemed... amused. I could feel my cheeks start to flame when he said "It's alright, I know Hailey. What I want to know is if this gorgeous over here has a name."

"Name. Oh. Yeah, it's Brie. I mean, Briana. Briana Morris." I was starting to feel weird. My head swirling in little bits.

"That's a beautiful name."

"Uh, thanks." I shook my head hard.

"Um, are you okay?" The urge to do something to him was overwhelming. Starting to build… build…

I sauntered closer, running a finger around his shoulders and down his arm. I'm perfectly fine. You will be too...

His eyes started to change, deviating from it's sparkling blue… yes.



***


Head. Hurts. I opened my eyes, squinting from the sun glistening from out my room window. Dad, Hailey, and Hailey's parents stood over me. Dad looked concerned and Hailey… guilty?

They all seemed like they've been awaiting my wake.

"Brie, are you okay?" Dad spoke first. His voice so gentle.

"What happened?" I said, grasping my forehead when I tried to sit upright. Hurts.

Hailey replied this time, "We were at the party…" she stopped as if trying to wait for me to recall. The party, right. When I nodded, she continued. "And it was all going so well, until you met Jace. The guy who approached you"

Jace… Jace… oh, the guy at the party. Hailey continued "You, uh, kissed him. Then everything just went crazy from there. His eyes started changing, to the colour of yours. Same with every other human there. You were brimming with magic. And every human there slowly started turning to you. You… enthralled them." Hailey ran a hand over her face, letting out a breath. "It took the help of me and some other witches to get you to the car. The car the enthralled humans were already coming for"

Oh my goodness. I remembered. I remembered feeling this ultimate surge of power, and enjoying how the humans bended to my will. Lord, what happened to me?

Mrs Starcher, Hailey's mom continued, "They brought you here. Your dad was very worried. And we came over immediately he called for us. Your powers had acted out, and the transition started earlier than we had anticipated. We couldn't do much and had to contact the Witch's council. They helped tame your powers, but the enthralled humans still have a connection to your magic. They'll be beguiled again anytime they see you. Which is why you'll be, uh, going to the council today. They requested to see you the minute you recovered. You're starting a training there."

A training. With the Witch's council. Send me to hell! The violence and savagery… lord help me. This was their way of punishing me, for breaking almost every witch code there is.

Tears were already welding. I glanced at dad, who looked pain stricken. There was nothing he could do, the beguiled humans had to be free from my magic, only the council could do that. I wasn't experienced enough to do it on my own.

Hailey looked at me like she'd start crying too. "I'm so sorry, Brie. This is all my fault. All of it. I'm also having a punishment, but I should have all of it. I'm sorry, Brie. So very sorry."

Mr Starcher also looked pitifully at me.

Away from dad, from my sanctuary. I'd rather live here in loneliness - with dad - for the rest of my life, than be with those vicious beings. "How long?" I asked, my voice quavering.

Dad sat on the bed, holding me tight to his chest "Five years. But it'll be fine, don't worry. I'll come visit and..." He was still saying some words I couldn't quite hear.

This cannot be happening. The tears began to flow.




May 29, 2021 03:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.