1 comment

Romance

Running late! 20 minutes late. As usual. Lunch with mom. A very punctual woman. A little up tight. But knows what she wants and how to get it. So, running late seemed to be a trait I did not inherit. First impressions one of her pet peeves. And of course today is the day she is introducing me to a dear friends son. Fixing me up as usual. As she keeps reminding me that having a great career won’t bring me true happiness and that I am not getting any younger. Hell. I’m only 28.

Rushing in to meet Mom and the man of my dreams. (In her eyes). Pulling my dark brown hair back in a simple pony tail, and quickly dabbing some lip gloss. Putting on my best unhurried smile.

Hello. Mother, as I get the... Late Again. look with a half smile, she introduces me.

Natasha. This is Corey. Mark and Jill’s son.

He’s an artist and freelance writer. Natasha works in the travel business.

After a nice lunch and a good conversation Corey and I realize just how much we have in common. Travel, the art’s, music. His sense of humor and adventure was intriguing. Along with his beautiful green eyes. Finding myself feeling like a high school girl again. Feeling silly. Moms phone rang interrupting our conversation. Then excusing herself for an afternoon meeting. Making sure I promise to call her later for an update on my new friend. And a new friend he became. And before I new it. We were having much more than lunch. Late night dinners, long walks, even did a little traveling. While sightseeing in Australia he popped the question. And I said yes. Just knowing the tight bond Mark and mom had. Made this so much more special. I just couldn’t wait to share my amazing news. That she had picked the perfect man for me. The perfect father to our future children. She wouldn’t just be my mom at the wedding. I wanted her to be my “Matron of honor”.

My life had truly begun. And she was right. My career hadn’t made my life as happy as Corey has. Nothing could ever make me this happy.

Planning the wedding seemed so easy with all the input from Mom and Corey. They seemed to be more excited than I. Planning the colors, the food, the guest, even down to where we would spend our honeymoon. The closeness of a son and mother-in-law are not always the best. But their relationship. They were best friends. Spending time with one another pretty much everyday. I was sure they had an amazing surprise for me. I just couldn’t figure it out. What we‘re they hiding from me? Why so secretive? Whatever it was had me confused. But I was still excited that they had a good relationshi.

With only days away from the most fabulous day of my life my nerves and butterflies had set in. With every tick of the clock I could hear my heartbeat with love and excitement.

With everything in it’s place and all the guests dressed in their best wedding attire, Corey is just down the hall. While I take one last look in the mirror as Natasha Leanne Cambridge. Soon to be Mrs. Markus Lee Bennett. Still a little confused on the secret her mom and fiancé had been keeping. Still stuck in her mind it would please her to finally find out why the two had met so many times in the last 6 months. I mean she was more his parents friends. I thought.

As Mom runs in checking too see if I am ready. Kissing me on the cheek. I could see something in her eyes. A sadness almost. But why? She is gaining the son she always wanted. And getting me married before I am to old. Maybe, she is afraid she’s loosing some control of her little girl. And then she turned and said she had to speak to Corey before the wedding as she walks out the door looking over her shoulder. We only had 20 minutes. What was so important??? My mind would not let me stop wondering. As I heard the last minute instructions from inside the dressing room and people rushing to their seats I could feel the palms of my hands start to sweat. I felt a little faint and needed a cool rag to damp my neck. Knowing I only had that 20 minus minutes left I had to get to the wash room and cool down so I wouldn’t faint. No shoes on I ran down the hall, dress hiked up so not too trip. As I turn the corner I look up and can’t believe my life. It’s her. My Mom. In the arms of my fiancé. My future. Locked in a passionate kiss. So passionate that they didn’t even realize I was standing there. In shock. My mind blown. The day my life was going to start...I started running out. Out of the life I thought was to be.

Thats the day my life as I knew it was over. Why? Why the introduction? Why the deceit?Why my Mom? Why my fiancé? Why? Twenty minutes before my wedding? Twenty minutes too long!!!!

They didn’t even seem to be surprised or like I shouldn’t be in shock. Like I should have known. What had been going on. I couldn’t believe it. I couldn’t stay. I couldn’t throw my wedding ring. I hadn’t even gotten it. I couldn’t get anything at this moment. All I could think was run, get out. Never look back.

The two people I trusted. The two I had the most faith in. What was the reason on going forward with the marriage. I was happy with my career and traveling. Meeting new and exciting people. I didn’t need too get married. I wasn’t old. I am only 29. All these thoughts rushing through my mind as I search for the nearest exit. I didn’t care where it led. I just wanted to get away. As far away as possible.

The flight to Canada was right on time. A job offer I couldn’t refuse. I could have the dream career I always wanted. The timing. Right on time. I am. Never 20 minutes late. Nor 20 minutes early. A lesson I learned befour I turned 30!


Author: Tommy Girl 7/24/2020

July 24, 2020 18:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Keerththan 😀
09:13 Aug 10, 2020

Superb story. Well written. Nice thinking of the girl at the end. A wonderful first story, Tommy. Keep writing. Waiting for more of yours...... Would you mind reading my stories too?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.