The bitter truth, a family reunion, thanksgiving is for family

Submitted into Contest #100 in response to: Write a story where a meal or dinner goes horribly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Teens & Young Adult

IIt was the coming together of the Johnson family, as they had not seen each other in over two decades, a sense of tension could be seen round the table as the atmosphere was and grew heavy only sounds of plate could be heard as everybody remained silent, just eating their meals and waiting for someone to break the ice in this awkward dinner. And so, a life line came along, the phone rang but no body picked it up, as they were still observing the other, it rang again but still no body picked it up and as it rang for the third time the butler came up from his duties and picked the phone up, tears rolling down his cheek as he hears the details of what was been passed across, and let out a loud cry as soon as the phone cut off "your big brother was involved in an accident" before letting go of the phone and hurrying every one out.

They came to the hospital and saw their brother being stretched to the emergency ward, they began hoping, praying and some soliloquying prancing up and down the corridors of the hospital hoping all will be well, they all slept there waiting for the doctor and after 6 long hours the lights went off signalling families wether it is a time for joy or a time to mourn. Approaching the doctor and asking after how he fared? They were left relieved with the good news he brought to them, their big brother, was alive and well, feeling that sense of relief the doctor went on and told them about the message the elder brother had left for them after they had finished their meal, wanting to what it was, they rushed back home and they all threw their hands into their meal all wanting to know what was to be said to them only to find the devastating first piece of information "to the five of you I am sorry if by any chance the paper was seen I am already long gone and can no be reached anymore i hope you will take care of the house" before going to explain to each of them from the youngest to the lowest how they were not related and how he wants them to find it in their hearts to forgive them for the next thing he is going to confess, as they read it, they were all shocked reading the very last parts as he explained thoroughly how he had poisoned their meals and wanting to have all of the grandparents inheritance to himself. This lead to a massive brawl between siblings and they rushed to the hospital with quick haste only to find out he had gone, it was all a plot, they were home and they met the elder brother who smiled at them and said I'm sorry deeply prostrating and saying he didnt want it to be like this and immediately he rose his head up he was battered by beatings till he wound up dead and soon the poisoned brothers followed suit and all ended up falling one by one and in the shadows could be seen the last born just staring at all the drama that unfolded and could hardly curtail the tears in his eyes as he remembers the joyful times they had as a family and the promises made as they separated, today was meant to fulfill the promise taken but yet here they all laid..... dead, what happened to all of us? He asked himself as he walked down the room changing his name and living far away from the town where everyone who knew him as a Johnson the once happy and proud family, a family of geniuses where they had control over what they were to do and were going to change the county where they were at.

At the airport, he found the butler who had arranged with his brother to ruin the reunion and stopped him demanding an explanation as to what really happened that night.... after much reminiscing,the butler opened up and told him everything, from how the second brother hired killer assassins to eliminate the elder brother who in turn was already planning to kill them as he had already hired a truck driver to run the side of the house where they all slept, the third brother who cajoled him to poison the food and putting it on the first brother and the fourth one who planned on setting the house on fire after everybody had gone to sleep and make away in the dead of the night alerting neighbours of the disaster. This confused the young man as to why the sudden change and what could have caused it, the butler replied "the will". Yes the will, your elder brother found it by chance and told all of them except you... as you are the only biological child of your parents the others a were only adopted relatives and so all the inheritance belonging to the Johnson is for you and if that is all I will take my leave now and left him surprised, lost for words and in tears as a simple inheritance completely broke down the loving family and he went his own separate way. After spending some few years away from all the trouble, drama and whatnot, he decided to go back with his family, planning to at least bury his brother's if their bones still had no resting place, taking his family there he saw the tombs of his brother's which had been constructed by the town's people and wept as a child deprived of his favourite toy, with that sinking feeling that his once beloved family was no more, all dying over the thanksgiving meal, he ransacked the house and found that most valuables belonging to the house had been stolen and even worse ideas from his siblings had been moved. Going to his parents room he found a safe box which their grandfather had always told them not to touch, forcing it open, he found a letter inside which read "only when you are together can the inheritance be given if any of you is missing, the inheritance is to be given to the state and a picture of all 5 of them as babies alongside the letter showing the value on togetherness that they emphasize on and he wept saying, "their death was worthless in the end", taking his new family to pay their final respects to the tombs of his brother's, he departed and lived on with his new family.

June 25, 2021 17:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.