The Scythe of Damascus

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story about a meeting of a secret society.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery

Wordcount 1705

The Scythe Of Damascus

by Zaslow Crane

The Scythe of Damascus has existed for over 800 years. We work behind the scenes to create a better society; a more peaceful society.”

“The Nazis and most of Russian history notwithstanding…?” An impatient sounding voice interrupted.

Benurus made an almost prim face, obviously stifling a much more stark and angry sort of response. It was clear that the delegate from the Donns and Dells had at least embarrassed the speaker; more likely damaged his political position somewhat  with this observation.

“…Forgetting Armenia, and Pol Pot…?” The voice continued uncaring of the discomfort he was causing. He had a point to make.

Benurus waved a hand as if to dismiss any criticism.

“We are not perfect. I think that you, Luxie of the Donns and the Dells might truly understand that on a most visceral level, since you have no place from which to “throw stones…”

“America’s war crimes, and the genocide in Rwanda…?”

Benurus of “Carthage” cleared his throat before continuing. He was a larger man, solid of stature yet growing a paunch in his later years. His dark eyes searched the crowd assessing his audience from the ancient podium.

His eyes again fell upon the thin and almost cadaverously ascetic Luxie, almost daring him to make a scene, before continuing.

Benurus’ voice echoed in the secret and yet cavernous meeting area, far, far beneath the ancient streets of Tel Aviv.

The lights above strobed and flickered occasionally in response to power fluctuations, but generally kept the soccer-pitch sized room filled with devotees illuminated.

He paused in his speech to look around and gain contact with a few notables’ eyes before continuing.

“We have …built societies; torn others down; protected upcoming cultures and quashed movements and ideas inimical to the progression of mankind… We have mitigated wars and other sorts of conflicts because it constricts business, and business equates with prosperity and happiness….And so today is a happy day, indeed.”

“Today, we are embarking upon our most ambitious goal to date…”

The assembled crowd murmured and seemed to be in general agreement. This was no surprise. It has been years in the making. They had all known and kept The Secret.

“Eleven years ago, our earliest operatives went under cover, earning the trust of their targets…”

He paused and made eye contact with many of his supporters and especially with  others who were “on the fence”.

“Six years ago we made a great and dangerous investment in still furthering more operatives, imbedded in bad actors’ organizations; governments who threaten their neighbors, who persist in behavior that is antithetical to peace.”

Much of the crowd was “on board” and ready.

“In twelve days, we will embark upon the “Galehaut Endeavor”. Within it, we will assassinate the leaders of all of the non-democracies in the world…the autocrats; the dictators; the radiacl theocracies… that cause strife- all in the same hour of the same day. Our people are ready to stand and deliver the final blow for humanity. This is and always was a suicide mission, and our operatives have made their intentions clear. We will honor their memories in our ceremonies and with monetary stipends to their survivors.”

“What will happen then?”

“Excuse me?”

“The Donns and Dells and the multitudes whom I represent, would like to know…What will happen, then?”

Benurus made a face.

Of course this shit wad would ask this now. An ambuscade. Wait until the answer will be the most embarrassing and problematic.

“Then, of course…the world’s most problematic leaders will be…excised; the world will be rid of their negative influences…”

“And then what?”

Benurus sighed.

“And…then the world will be allowed to proceed upon its path without the …distractions of petty dictators and presidents who are not in any way presidential…”

Luxie persisted-

“And then what?”

Benurus only barely stifled the urge to rage at this …malcontent within the ranks.

“The world will be a more peaceful place; a place that is unencumbered by terror and inequity…A place which is ready to prosper once the weighted collar of oppression and violence has been thrown away.”

“And you…” Luxie turned to those around him. “And all of you…Do you really think that this will buy us more than a few years of peace?”

Benurus persisted: “All of the troublemakers will be gone-”

“-Only to be replaced by newer, more talented, more vicious ones! You forget human nature! We were designed to fight and climb upon the dead bodies of others! History repeats over and over…We seem to have learned nothing. And now, we as a group seem prepared to climb upon still more bodies in eleven days! This is a never-ending cycle, made more efficient, but no kinder; nor gentler. ”

Luxie looked around the room, daring any to contradict him.

The room remained mostly silent.

Benurus persisted, not willing to give up the initiative.

“This solution is practical and defining; quantifiable and just. And, it has worked in the past!”

“Has it? Human history is filled with good people doing bad for good reasons, or bad people doing bad for selfish reasons. Your solution is a bandaid, not any sort of cure. And you, for one seem to love to be in charge of doling out these short-term repairs to whom you see fit!”

Benurus smiled tersely.

“Then tell me your solution, for that is the real question, isn’t it? You have a better idea. So then, Luxie, what is your answer?”

Luxie stood and gathered himself to speak. He too, used his eyes to gather in adherents to what he thought of as Reason.

“Until mankind thinks more and fights less, there is no answer. Until we as a people, can see a way beyond violence; and until we, as a society…a secret one at that… stop meeting in secret to plan evil, hoping to produce good, there is none. No chance at real, true peace.”

Benurus was fighting down a rage; a rage that demanded he throttle Luxie and his cadre of secular leaders willing to simply sit on their hands, instead of being proactive.

“Then, shall we abandon Galehaut?” Sarcasm dripped liberally from Benurus’ lips.

Luxie made a contemptuous face. And then, he sadly shook his head.

           “We all know that it is too late for that. There would be too much chance of compromise and exposure if we delay or stop, now that we have dozens of operatives embedded in these evil organizations. It would expose all we have done, and undo hundreds of years’ work- even if it has been misguided-” Here he shot Benurus a sharp look.

           “No. We should definitely go forward with this endeavor, because this endeavor must be the last of it’s kind. The Ottomans, the Czars, the Kaisers…the Khmer Rouge, the world wars, the Iranian Solution…The Syrian problem, which will rival the Israeli problem for longevity and perpetual payback- It’s all too much. The hubris! Our pride…our bloated egos dictate that we do these things. Let this last misfortune befall humanity and when nothing really changes, promise me – all of you- that we will disband the Scythe of Damascus.”

Never. Thought Benurus, while considering ways to have fatal misfortune fall upon Luxie and his followers.

           Luxie persisted and gazed about the room. “We’ve become like spies- ever questioning a relationship or situation; never able to distinguish what is white or black; only dealing with unending shades; parades of grey.”

           Benurus took a couple deep breaths. Then, ignoring what had last been said:

           “May Galehaut set the world on the path it needs for all to prosper.”

           Many cheers erupted, but a significant portion of the room remained silent.

***

           Luxie understood Benurus’ passion and dedication to The Cause, however misguided and twisted he felt that it had become through Time. This was why he had had all the files from Day One; from the 13th century til Galehaut, uploaded to servers with instructions that should he perish for any reason, those files, records, accountings of deeds both good and ill, would be released upon an unsuspecting world.

           The meeting ended with Galehaut set to go forward, but Benerus and he still at odds.

           I know what I’d consider, were I in his place…

           Luxie was escorted by his cadre of trusted bodyguards to his temperature controlled and HEPA filtered car. His security detail was aware enough to be on edge, expected some sort of retribution for what would be viewed as betrayal by the Benurus faction. They scanned the possible places where a threat might emerge nervously before getting into their escort vehicles. Luxie along with all the other delegates, were dispersing and returning to their respective homes. Most were on their way to the airport with private jets awaiting their arrival. The traffic, just for a moment was daunting. His and all his faction’s vehicles had emerged into the Israeli night from the secret underground meeting place.

           Luxie, sitting in the rear of the limo had an epiphany: He’s going to kill me. I can feel it. He shook his head sadly in resignation. Fuck it. I’m not waiting, I’m releasing the data, now!

           With that, he dialed a secret number on his phone and pressed a few digits…  -Just as his, and every other car in his delegation was destroyed by rockets sent in from high places – the most high places all around.

The light from the fires lit Benurus’ face as he watched from a safe vantage point. He sighed in acceptance and just a touch of satisfaction.

However, he was unaware of the other light that was coming; a light that would shine into every dark corner and expose…well… it would expose…everything.

           The information was released as planned. The world reeled. Investigations were begun worldwide. Politicians decried the very idea of such a secret society.           However, the books that resulted from the leaked files and exposed The Scythe and its adherents were ultimately treated like fiction; too outrageous to be anything but something made up by a few rabid journalists.

           Nevertheless, they sold quite well…

Copyright

ZaslowCrane.com

August 21, 2020 21:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Shane Foshee
16:45 Dec 05, 2020

I love this story, the historical drama is something else. Pretty profound for just a short short story if you ask me.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.