1 comment

Fantasy Mystery Romance

This story contains sensitive content

{-Trigger warning, mild blood and violence-}

               {-Ancient Fallen-}

  Bethany Weikum

         I

“Where has the time gone?” I mutter softley to myself, “One second I’m about to get married, the next I’m running for my life.” I glance at Oro and sigh, he deserves so much more than his family turning on them, disowning him because he loves someone in a magical family. And Kali. The poor girl. She literally can’t live without Oro. They’re tied together in much more ways than one. 

I feel a comforting arm on my shoulder, then feel my worries lift away. August. “You okay, Ki?” 

I nod, “Just thinking about… about-”

“Don’t.” He says, “Don’t think about it. Just breathe.” I do as he ordered. With him wrapping me into a tight embrace and the nighttime sounds, I calm down in a matter of seconds. 

“I-I think I’m going to get something to eat.” I say, pushing myself out of August’s hug.

He nods, “Ok, Kijo. Just- Just don’t hurt yourself.” Sighing, I turn my back to him and head toward Kali and Brijah, the worries flooding into my mind like water breaking free from a dam.

You’re not good enough.

Oro doesn’t love you.

You could’ve prevented the deaths.

It’s your fault.

“KIJO!” Brijah says frustratedly, snapping her fingers multiple times in my face. “Lyneri to Kijo! I’ve been calling your name for like, nine revolutions!” She frowns, “You like, zoned out.”

I hold my hand up in front of her, “Stop, Brijah. Do you and Kali want to go hunt with me?” 

No, I’m fine. Kali signs. 

Brijah sighs, “I’m not going if Kali is staying. Maybe Onyx will go, though.” She looks at Kali, “C’mon, let’s go.” Brijah and Kali walk off to find campfire wood.

It’s going to be dark soon, so I should hurry. I could create an illusion that led me to the nearest group of elk. But that would take a lot of energy and time. Which I don’t have

“Kijo.” A voice says behind me. I flinch. Onyx. He has a talent for sneaking up on people. 

I slowly turn, careful not to touch him. His gift gives him the ability to not feel pain, but whenever he touches someone (with the exception of my brother) he gives them the feeling of pain and can kill them in minutes. “Shija, Onyx.” Shija is another way to say ‘hello’ in Siteneroran, “It’s pleasant seeing you here.”

“Likewise.” Onyx says. “Shija. Brijah said that you were going hunting, so I figured that I should tag along.” His words are slow and thought out. His Ldourien accent makes the Siteneroran words sound strange. Foreign. Like he shouldn’t be saying them.

I nod, “Yes, Onyx. I’m going hunting.” Honestly, I’m not the best hunter. I hate killing things. “I- what was that?” There was a loud sound that sounded like thunder.

Onyx shivers, “I hope it’s not thunder. It’s one of the few things I’m afraid of.” That’s not good. If Onyx is afraid of it-

No. I’m not finishing that thought.

The thunder-like sound claps again. Sounding like a large audience all clapping at once. I flinch then look around, drawing my sword. “There.” I point with my sword. A Jorac. Large reptile-like creatures that are almost impossible to kill. This was one animal I was not afraid to kill. If I could manage it without dying. It is midsummer, Jorac mating season. The males will make thunder-clap roars to attract the females. This one was exceptionally large, at least ten feet tall. Its scaly skin was mostly green with a yellow underbelly and blue around its eyes. Venom dripped from its open, sharp-tooth full mouth. It turned its yellow, reptilian eyes on us and roared at me and Onyx.

“Well.” I peep, “It was nice knowing you, Tuthlieo.”

“Likewise, Falls. But who ever said it was the end?” Onyx says, a deathly glint in his gold and blue eyes. He slowly approaches the Jorac, not breaking eye contact with the monster. Onyx holds out his hands and the Jorac, not knowing what was coming and being a dumb reptile, allowed Onyx to touch it. Onyx pet the Jorac and, within thirty seconds, the Jorac collapsed, dead on the ground

                ————

“Kijo! Onyx! What happe- oh my Thakep!” Brijah exclaims. “Are you guys ok?!” she reaches her hand out to try to wrap a cloth around my long, bleeding scratch. Brijah beckons to August, “Dear brother, can you heal Kijo and Onyx?”

My favorite and only brother walks over and takes one look at our wounds. I’m fine, besides a long scratch on my arm and a ton of bruises.

Onyx had many scratches on his face and arms, not that he felt them.

“What have you done?!” He asks. August glances behind us at the Jorac’s corpse that we were dragging around. “Oh.” He walks over to us and touches the Jorac scratches gingerly. After two or less seconds, the scratches are healed and gone. August does the same to Onyx, then slaps him across the face.

“Don’t, DON’T do that again.” He growls in his cousin’s face. It is clear to all of us that Onyx is August’s favorite family member.

Onyx launches into a stream of Ldourien, knowing that only him and August understand it. I catch a few words that aren’t the nicest before Oro steps between the squabbling boys.

“Enough.” He says. His voice is low and quiet. For Oro, quiet is dangerous. “You two need to get along if-” He slips into his native tongue and grunts, “You need to get along.”

Kali walks over, popping her knuckles, ready for a conversation. What is happening? I heard noises- She looks at the Jorac corpse, bigger than Onyx, the tallest of us, and shudders.


After a while, we manage to cook the Jorac and eat it. The hide is rough and hard to chew through. I am able, though. Soon after, we are all huddled close together on the ground with our cloaks wrapped tightly around ourselves. I’m between Brijah and Oro. The heat that emits from Brijah-due to her gift- makes it easier for me to sleep. I drift off into a dreamless sleep, sleeping with one eye open. Since fleeing the mansion, we have been finding it hard to get comfortable and adjust.

————

I awake sometime early dawn to the smell of smoke and cooked Jorac.

“Good morning, Ki. ‘Bout time you woke up.” Someone says. I sit up and see Brijah, a flame in her hand, cooking a piece of Jorac. Nearby, Onyx sits on the ground. His red hair is pulled back in a small ponytail. He is skinning the leftover meat with a knife into our small leather pack.

I don’t know why, but I have a strange feeling something bad is going to happen. Soon. I can’t see the future, but I can see illusions. Things others cannot see.

I slowly stand up. My muscles ache from dragging the giant Jorac corpse across Sitenero’s rough terrain. When you’ve been on the run for six weeks, you get used to it. You get used to the running and the hiding and the pain.

My thought train is interrupted by August-who, like always- puts his hand on my shoulder and I feel my worries lift away.

II

“I’ll be right back.” Brijah says, “I’m going to wake Oro and Kali.” That doesn’t make sense, the Trikos being the last ones awake. Oro was an early riser, always waking before dawn. Kali, if not first awake, never last. It just isn’t like them.

“Wait.” I say, “Maybe we should-” There's a scream in the distance. I turn my head so quickly in the direction of the scream I’m afraid I’ll snap my neck. “Who was that?!”

Brijah returns from where Kali and Oro were sleeping, “They’re gone. Cloaks, food, everything. It’s like they were never there.”

Onyx tilts his head ever so slightly, “I hear Oro. It sounds like they're being attacked!” 

I pull my boots on and grab my sword, hardly listening to August who was saying we need to find them. 

My heart is pounding so hard I’m afraid it’ll beat out of my chest. No. No no no no no. Not Oro. Not Kali. No. I sprint in the direction August and Onyx pointed, Brijah behind me, then August, Onyx bringing up the rear. We run. My footsteps falling in time with my heartbeat. A branch hits my cheek. It stings, but I keep running.

Finally coming to a stop to catch my breath, I hear people yelling. Someone yelling in Ageeian.

“REKA TUGENDE MWE MUHINDURE IMITWE!!!” It was Oro, screaming and saying rude things in his mother tongue.

“Vala ubuso bakho!!!” Someone else yelled back. Not in the same tongue, something else, not from Int.

I hear a bow string get pulled back, it’s Onyx. When he can’t get close enough to use his gift, he prefers long-range weapons. He shoots the bow so smoothly and quickly I almost don’t see the arrow flying toward the ones who hold Oro and Kali captive.

There are two. One is tall and skinny, female. She wears a long hooded cloak and a mask. Her hair is elbow length and dark blue, and her skin is pale. The other is short and male. He is wearing the same outfit as the woman and has short black hair and dark skin. He has a knife pointed at Kali's throat and seems to be saying something in a non-Int language. Oro is being held back by the woman who is tying him to a tree.

The arrow Onyx shot misses her by a centimeter. “Sawubona!” She yells, turning around and drawing her sword, “Zibonise! Kumbe lo ulahlekelwa yimpilo yakhe! ” Onyx is drawing his bow back again, but August puts his hand on his shoulder to stop him.

Brijah’s hands ignite and she whispers, “Those slimy little-” 

“Hey, calm down.” August says, “Hide your magic and show ourselves. I don’t want anyone to get hurt.” Brijah sighs, but does as told.

One by one we step out from behind the bushes. Onyx first. I can visibly see Oro tense up and Kali’s hands twitch. “DON’T!” Oro shouts.

When me, Brijah, August, and Onyx and standing side by side, the man shoves Kali over to the woman and walks over. First, he inspects August, making sure he has no weapons on him. Of course he doesn't, he's a pacifist. I’m next. He makes me remove my cloak and boots. He finds my sword and takes it. Without it I feel vulnerable. Brijah stands next to me and the small man looks over her. The smell of smoke fills the air. She doesn’t need a weapon, she has fire. Onyx is last in line. He easily towers over the man.

“I wouldn’t touch me if I were you…” Onyx says, his deep voice low and dangerous.

“I can do what I want, umfana.” The man says. He starts to pat down Onyx but screeches in pain as soon as he touches my cousin’s arm. “YINI I-UKHONJANI NGAYE?!” He pulls his hand away, gasping in pain. “Who are you people?!”

“I am Onyx Tuthlieo, and I am gifted. This is my family here, and I’m afraid you have them.” My cousin growls. He bends down to look the man in the eyes, “I wouldn’t anger me. Who are you?”

The man is clearly afraid of Onyx, “M-my name is Jakob. T-the woman is Laverna.”

“Bufunani?!” Laverna asks, still holding Kali back, “Ingabe bansiphiwo?”

“Nigyazi ukuthi inkulu.” Jakob replies. “Ngicabanga ukuthi uhlobene nabanye, okushu ukuthi bangaba nesiphiwo, nabo.”

“What are they saying?” I whisper to August, praying that Jakob and Laverna won’t hear us.

“I-I don’t know.” August admits. “That language is foreign to me.” August knows a lot of different dialects, but this language is most likely from a small city-state off the coast of Esteron. Esteron is home to many small independent city-states that speak unrecognizable languages.

“Hey! You two, short boy and tall girl, come here!” Jakob calls. 

Uh-oh. I think, That is not good. If he figures out my or August’s gift-no. I refuse to think about it.

“Ingabe unesiphiwo?!” Laverna says with an irritated-sounding tone.

August frowns. Something tells me he recognizes the language now. “Ngiyaxolisa- we are- onesiphiow. I am August Falls. I am a survivor of the Falls-Triko massacre. As are my sisters Kijo and Brijah. And my cousin, Onyx. Oro and Kali are, as well.”

“You are gifted?” Jakob asks, speaking for Laverna. His accent makes the Siteneroran words sound strange. “You-Kijo?- speak.”

I clear my throat, “Y-yes, Jakob. I am Kijo, a gifted member of the Falls family. Wh-what do you want from us? We are poor in trade offers and in money.”

“No. You are not, I can sense the money in your pockets.” Jakob sighs, unsheathing his knife. “I guess we have to take it the hard way.”

“Hurt my family or friends and you’ll find out what I can really do.” Onyx growls, holding out his hands.

I smell smoke. Everyone does. 

“Kill them.” Jakob says to Laverna, sounding bored.

Laverna nods, looking glad. She shoves Kali onto the ground and charges me. She doesn’t need a weapon, she is gifted. Laverna punches my face, most likely bruising my cheek. She throws another punch at my arm and I feel like I should lie down and follow her every command. 

No. I can’t.

Someone yells. More smoke. More yelling. Someone is hurt.

Laverna strikes me again and again and again. I am bleeding from only two wounds, but I will have many bruises. Brijah screams as Jakob grabs her arm and nearly runs her through with his dagger. Kali pushes her out of the way and ducks, Jakob’s dagger grazing her cheek. Onyx sets his hands on Laverna’s shoulders and whispers something. Laverna’s eyes widen as she falls to the ground, screeching. 

Jakob sees Laverna’s body writhing in pain and frowns, “I suppose we-I’ll be leaving then-” He tries to run off, but Oro grabs him.

“No. You are not leaving.” He says.

   ———

“I told you guys, I am Jakob Yuo of Esteron. I am just a poor man who was trying to get money for his sick mother!” Jakob protests, “Me and Laverna were just trying to get-”

Brijah gets close to him, “Believable story, Jakob. Tell us the truth or I’ll burn you alive.”

“Woah, woah, woah, Brijah calm down! I know you’re upset but-” August reaches out.

“No, brother. I’m not listening to you. Not again.” Brijah growls. Flames start burning in her hands as she storms off to go burn stuff or something.

Kali, the girl who was kidnapped by Jakob and Laverna, made some signs that weren’t all very nice.

“Kali!” Oro gasps, “Don’t say that!”

“What did she say?!” Jakob asks. “Was she-?”

“Doesn’t matter.” I say, “What does matter is what the heck you were doing trying to rob us!”

“I-I was doing something for Jene.” Jakob sighs, “He told us to find the survivors of the Falls-Triko massacre and take their gold!”

Who is Jene? I wonder, Is he some sort of genie?! “Who is Jene?”

Jakob gives me a little grin, “He never told me much. But, he did say that the deaf girl knows.”

I am not deaf, I am mute. Kali’s signs are sharp like they are when she is frustrated. And yes, I do know of J-e-n-e. He was-is- a powerful wizard who supposedly gained immortality. He was not a gifted. He was like me and O-r-o. I frown, nothing makes sense nowadays!

“Uh, could someone translate?” Jakob asks.

Onyx sighs but does, “She said Jene was a ‘immortal’ non-gifted wizard.” He turns an arrow over in his hands, “I don’t believe in that nonsense. I mean, if you are gifted, like aunt and uncle, then that's one thing. But just gaining immortality all of the sudden. I don’t think so.”

“I agree with Onyx. People don’t just get a gift.” Oro says, “Unless, you do?”

“You gain it over time, most people around five revolutions of age.” I frown, “How old was Jene?”

“Most retellings claim he was twenty, though very few say five.” Oro glances at Jakob, “You are gifted, aren’t you?”

“Yes. Unfortunately I am gifted.” Jakob scowls, “I can sense precious metals or summon them.” 

He tries to walk around me but I grab his arm, “Oh no you don’t. You’re staying here with us.” Jakob groans and sits back down. Onyx frowns at him then walks off to find Brijah. “Tomorrow, when we leave for Ageeia, you are going to accompany us.”

Another groan from Jakob. “Whatever, I was heading there anyway.”

Turning around to face the darkening sky, I can’t help but think that something is going to go wrong on this trip. 

Something very, very wrong.

 III


Kijo still hasn't returned from her talk with that thief, Jakob and I’m starting to get worried. I can’t help but think that she might have let him escape, and then escaped with him. Or maybe it is all an illusion to fake her support of us.

O. Kali signs, then sets her hand on my shoulder, You good? 

“Yes, Kali. I’m fine. Are you?” I lie. I know she’ll freak out if I tell her what is really on my mind. Fortunately for me, Kali is not good at detecting lies.

No, I’m not. Kali signs, She-she kidnapped me and you. L-a-v-e-r-n-a almost killed K-i-j-o and J-a-k-o-b almost ran me through with his dagger. If not for O-n-y-x and B-r-i-j-a–h… 

I know what she means. I remember feeling that sack being thrown over my head and a knife held to my throat. It’s something I’ll never forget. Laverna was being forced to do Jakob’s bidding, from what we gathered. He has this rock that, when it touches the person's skin, allows the owner to manipulate them.

{~Not finished, done for the year~}



April 24, 2023 15:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Bethany Weikum
15:27 Apr 24, 2023

Trying my luck at RoMaNcE

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.