Indian Entourage

Submitted into Contest #14 in response to: Someone in the story has a lot of hard lessons to learn.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Indian Entourage

I am Oriona, named by my father who is a Hunter. Orion was the name of the brightest constellation in the sky, it was time for Holi in India, New Year for us, Hindi peoples. I spoke English very well so I knew that, I would be some one of status. I never went to school, but I read a lot. At an age when women must marry, I was preparing to be married. I loved God and he loved me. But something was going to happen that will break or make; pacify or enrage me. Because I never had education, I doubted how God would able to make me what I wanted to be.

But one day it happened.

"Hello, I am Samuel, my sister and I are from Europe, we wanted a place to stay , my sister's husband is the son of Sir Timothy, one of the colonial expartrates in India. We are both from new in India we can not speak Hindi, my sister, saw your kiosk's top emblem."

"Yes", I said, " it has my favorite verse in my Bible written there John 3:16." 

"What is your name and why are you not celebrating Holi? You do not even have colors on you." Samuel said looking into her eyes for she was very beautiful to behold. 

"My name is Orion and I am not celebrating, I am off to church. Samuel, I am off to church, so I will take you to some one in my church, who will help out."

Sandra looks at her pinafore, it was 1938; and Orion she thought was the perfect one for her brother, Samuel to marry. But since Orion had a secret, even I Orion had doubts about true love.

I took them to my church and fortunately or unfortunately, the pastor's son (the halmlet's interpreter) was not there. So I took care of them. On our way we met many obstacles.

We were in New Dehli and to our surprise the Indians were rebelling against their colonial masters for they were furious that a few of their patriots where locked up. Orion was going to learn something in a easy but hard way and so would, Samuel.

We moved out from our church, after service. As soon as we came out , there was a Hindi priest, who saw us, he was fuming like fuel in fire. He kidnapped us by sending his disciple (who was learning under him) We were locked up in the shrine for , the apprentice, I noticed was treated badly. He was treated so badly , I could feel his pain. He also had a sister who was blind. I put two and two together and found out that, he was an orphan and had come there to stay being that he was seventeen. I had learnt that I could use what I had to get what I wanted. I had learnt this so applied the rule. I also prayed.

The next day we were not given food, and the seventeen year old scholar , apprentice and disciple Damedra's sister fell ill , the priest tried to do all he could to make her whole, but it did not do work. He made incarnations, but it did work.

Sir Timothy, and his in laws Sir Samuel White senior , Sandra and Samuel junior's father were uneasy as he sat in his house, he had expected his children to be with him as he was to celebrate his birthday by Sunday.

Melissa his friend's arrogant and wicked daughter , who was engaged to Samuel was pregnant, but not for him. She could not wait, to entangle her fiancé in her messed up life.

It seemed that it was God wanted to pull down the wicked after all, we all know that pride comes before, a fall.

In the shrine, Damendra began to cry.

"Damendra, you will have to bring a sacrifice for the blindness, to leave and for Pretti your sister to be healed of tuberculosis."

"Sir, " I heard Damendra say , " I have nothing. "

Damendra wept.

The next day, "This the way out. After you healed my sister, Orion, I owe you my life. Your prayers..." Damendra said crying like a cub, as he opened a tunnel which, we passed to leave after bidding farwell. Pretti his beautiful nine year old sister hugged me to show her gratitude. They them selves became Christians.

In hours, we were in the quarters of Samuel's father, his father said he had seen me, marrying his son in a dream, I began to sob because I had fallen in love with Samuel. Melissa was actually jealous, so poisoned my meal. I prayed before eating on the table. Nothing happened , but Melissa began to have morning sickness. Her secret pretense of virtue was opened, like a book. She was sent out and the engagement ring given to me.

We got married and I learnt that with God all things are possible.


By Daniella Idogho


November 08, 2019 10:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.