those stickers

Submitted into Contest #49 in response to: Write a story that takes place in a waiting room.... view prompt

2 comments

General

That clock. That Stupid clock. It Just keeps ticking. Keeping the beat for the entire room. The clock Decides how you read. It's impossible to ignore. Keeping your breath in tune with the sharp beat. In a way it's soothing. One-Mississippi, two-Mississippi. But then, you get to something that requires your full attention. And suddenly, everything's wrong. You have to stay with the beat. Whether by tapping, cracking knuckles, or just staying with the beat no matter what. When you type, you have to type every other Pause. Let out a breath every tick, Sometimes you don't even realize it's happening. The sharp beat in the background. It's making me tired. Everything to organized here. That tick seemed slower than the last. One-Mississippi, two-Mississippi, no, everything fine here. I look to my left and I can't help but let out a chuckle. It's an ad for soap, with a dead guy in the background. He was stabbed and his presumed murderer is in focus with a bloody hand saying, When ordinary soap just won't do it. Who decided on this ad? When I was a lot younger, Me and one of my friends made up something called, all chicken beef! We had a lot of fun making fake advertisements for that. One time I slept over at that same girl's house, but her sister insisted that we keep the TV on. It was ridiculous. I guess it was just background noise for her? Just like this clock. My bedroom has a really loud fan and I can only sleep with it on. So I guess background noise it's just a part of everyone's life. Or everyone in the waiting room at least. How long have I been here? My phone says it's 4: 50 but I got here at 4:25. My life is hard. Let's play a game on my phone. I got this new tie-dye game where you fold up the t-shirt and then random colors on it are pretty useless and have way too many ads but I'm bored. But I don't want to look like a person who can't go without their phones or two minutes. I look to my right instead. There is a sign saying well patients, only I just assumed it meant not sick patients because what else could it mean. I don't know but I've misinterpreted a lot of things in my life. At one of my friends' bar mitzvahs  I accidentally went where only family members were supposed to go but I did go with one of my other friends so that's okay we were both embarrassed together. I love the smell of doctor's offices. I love the smell of hand sanitizer and Sharpies and glue. I don't know why, but they just smell quite good. I think it's the sense of everything being clean that I like. A couple years ago I heard about someone getting high on glue? That was that a thing let me look it up real quick. Yeah! I'm still not sure. The internet is never clear with these things. On the plus side when I get home today I can watch Hamilton on Disney Plus. And I know that Hamilton is a very Jazzy show. I've watched a little bit of it and I'm not going to lie. I'm kind of disappointed. I was definitely expecting better but I mean they were on stage with bright lights and 200 pounds close. So I guess I can't judge them too harshly. Also, did you know that Peggy, Angelica, and Eliza were each one year apart from each other. Because I didn't I also didn't know that those weren't the only three children Skyler's had. The Skylers did have boys in the family. Granted, one of them only lived until 10 but still. My hair is quite soft today. I put in the soil stuff I found at the dollar store. I'm not sure how good it is for my hair, but my hair feels really nice here but I also straightened it today. I think I'm going to deep condition my hair tonight just because I want to. It'll be fun having nice soft running my fingers through my hair, twirling it waking up with and all the rats nest on my head. I look at the person diagonally for me. Their hair is quite frizzy, probably pretty damaged. It also looks like they bleach it quite often. I look at the person next to them. They have really nice curly hair. It looks so natural, curly and poofy. I had a friend in 4th grade who had a lot of braids, and she would let me braid her braids and then braid those braids together. It was a very fun activity to do this at recess. I'm not sure she liked it as much as I did though. Fourth grade is also when I learned about oxymoron. We read a book about oxymoron. It was quite a fun book. I also learned about sharks. I don't remember much about sharks though. I don't need to know a lot about sharks to survive in the real world right? I just need to know a lot about snakes. Noah document! The doctor is ready to see you. Oh, thank God I was running out of things to think about. It feels so awkward standing up in front of all these people who still have to wait here looking at me. All I can think about is the sticker I'm going to get at the end of the visit. I think I want a frozen 2 stickers, but I'll be fine with anything. As I go through the door I've been staring at for most of the time I've been here The hospital sanitation smell gets way more abundant it envelops me it feels like I'm getting washed down with hand sanitizer right at this very moment it's fun as soon as I say goodbye, so all of the people in the waiting room I secretly laugh, knowing that they'll be here, listening to the clicking of the clock.

July 09, 2020 03:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

09:19 Jul 16, 2020

Disjointed random thoughts and musings of the blogger waiting to consult the dentist.Could have been made more interesting!.

Reply

No One
16:44 Jul 16, 2020

I know, I got kinda lazy. But thank you for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.