26 comments

Creative Nonfiction

“Let’s bang out these deliveries as quickly as possible so we can get home and eat.”

“Yeah, I’m starving. Imagine if we order this exact meal for ourselves tonight?” I looked at my husband, hoping that he would agree.

“Spend our profits? No way.”

“Yeah, you’re right.” I fought to hide my disappointment as my hunger pains mixed with the growing fatigue. 

“It’ll be worth it, you’ll see. Just another few deliveries and we hit our goal for the day.” He smiled at me, trying to keep my spirits up.

We stopped for the red light.  I stared at it willing it to change to green so we could keep going. The longer we sat still, the longer the night would drag out. I checked the app, relieved to see the destination was five minutes away.

“You okay?” He glanced at me before returning his stare to the traffic light.

“Yeah. You?” I studied his profile, his clenched jaw, the way his fingers tapped on the wheel.

“Yeah.”

We fell silent. The aroma was intoxicating, making me sleepy as if I had just indulged in the decadent feast rather than driving it to someone else’s happy table. 

I reminded myself to count my blessings. The extra bit of money from Uber Eats meant our mortgage would be paid on time. If we pushed harder and went faster, we would be able to put some cash aside. It was worth it, as my husband always reminded me as we drove through the dark nights like little food elves.

Damn. That light was red forever. Come on. Red light, green light, one, two, three.  I was getting delirious, my thoughts a hodge podge due to fatigue and overstimulation. I shifted the bag on my lap, trying to get comfortable.

BOOOOOOMMMMMMM

The crack of the explosion was sudden and deafening. My mind spun with images of bombs falling out of the sky. It was terrorism. It was happening again.  We had survived 9/11 only for another attack. We knew it was coming, we just didn’t know when. I looked around with bulging eyes expecting to see the destruction, the fires, the dismembered victims. What happened? What happened?

BOOOOOOMMMMMMM

A second thunderous explosion of noise was exponentially louder than the first. My body was thrust forward, disorienting me. Thoughts flew around my mind struggling to make sense, to create order in the sudden chaos. What happened? What happened?

Then silence. Stillness.

Gone was the red light that had held my attention. We were in the middle of the intersection. 

Faces appeared at my window; their expressions matched my own internal fear. 

“What the fuck?” My husband leapt out of the car screaming into the unknown. I silently followed.  

No fires. No bombs. No dismembered body parts. 

Screams and curses surrounded me. A crowd had gathered.

A truck behind my car. Attached, metal on metal. 

A car behind that truck. Totaled. 

A woman off to the side. Hysterical. Drunk. Raving.

I struggled to figure it out. What happened? What happened?

A tow truck appeared out of nowhere. That damn red tow truck. Like the grim reaper itself showing up at the scene of an accident in an instant. Did they circle the city streets like vultures in search of their prey? They tow away your belongings to their final resting place, leaving you on the side of the road dazed and confused.

The woman was screaming, “My kids, I have kids,” to the first officer on the scene. My anger flipped on like a light switch illuminating a room after a blackout, showing off all the cobwebs and dust bunnies.

“Your kids?” I ran at her like a savage animal. “Your kids? What about my kids? You almost killed me, you fucking bitch. What about my kids??” I was livid, foaming at the mouth. The pieces suddenly fit together like a horror movie puzzle that would never sell, for who would want to piece together that scene? 

The first deafening crack of thunder had been the drunk crashing into the truck, the second explosion when the truck had crashed into us. 

The older men, no worse for the wear, stepped out of the vehicle in the middle of the nightmare sandwich.  The impact absorbed by their monster truck had spared our little sedan. What would have happened had they not been there as our buffer?

Sirens, endless sirens, as more cops arrived. My husband was screaming at the drunk, and my heart began to race anew. What if they thought he was the instigator, the out of control maniac on the road? I rushed over to calm him down, to keep him safe.

“I saw the whole thing,” witnesses appeared, eager to help. Were they happy or was I insane? For certainly no one would be pleased about an accident unless relishing their moment in the sun, hearing their own grandiose recounting of the tale. 

Let them tell the story.  I was not a witness, just a victim as I had waited for that red light to change. I got my wish; it had changed but not to green. Rather from a single red light to multiple flashing lights lining the street, blocking traffic, filling the road with frustrated drivers. “Damn, and we were making such good time,” I imagined the words spoken in aggravated tones. The rubberneckers slowed down to take a good look at us, for it was our turn to be the sideshow. 

An officer instructed my husband to move the car to the side of the road.  I was grateful to see it start and drive despite the newly acquired damage. I was thankful to see my husband lock up the car and walk towards me. It could have been worse. It could have been unimaginable. 

My thoughts returned to my kids. The voice of the drunk woman screamed for hers, begged the officers not to arrest her, not to take her away because of her kids. I was speechless.

The uniformed men approached me, asked if I was okay. Did I need the hospital? No, of course not. I was fine. Then suddenly I wasn’t. The scene tilted and turned; my husband helped me to a safe spot where I fell to the ground.

The words swirled around nonsensically, insurance, photos, phone numbers. Could I go to sleep on the side of the road? Was that acceptable? 

I tapped my Uber Eats app and reported that I would not be delivering that meal after all. Reason? Reviewing the options, I chose ‘other’ and switched off the app.

Moments later, I looked at my husband, back behind the wheel.

“You okay?” I asked.

“Yeah. You?” He studied my face.

“Yeah.” 

“We’re so eating that dinner,” he motioned to the bag of food, warm and intact, back on my lap.

“Yeah, we are.” 

I looked at him as a single tear rolled down my cheek. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes, allowing the emotions of the moment to wash over me. The screams of that woman echoed in my mind loud and intrusive. The shock and anger slipped to the background and something else popped in. Was it sympathy? Empathy? I didn’t want to feel sorry for her. I pushed that away.

We continued our drive in the dark with our destination changed to home.

June 02, 2024 01:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Carol Stewart
22:22 Jun 12, 2024

Reads as true. I can feel the initial terror and confusion. Nice detail about the lack of relevant option on the Uber app too. Well penned.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
13:53 Jun 15, 2024

Thanks so much, Carol :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:23 Jun 12, 2024

"No fires. No bombs. No dismembered body parts. Screams and curses surrounded me. A crowd had gathered. A truck behind my car. Attached, metal on metal. A car behind that truck. Totaled. A woman off to the side. Hysterical. Drunk. Raving. I struggled to figure it out. What happened? What happened?" I love all of this. My kind of format lol Great description of this whole incident. I've been in a similar situation and its quite heartstopping I know! Lot of 'car based' stories came up for this prompt, I did one too and I also include...

Reply

Hannah Lynn
13:53 Jun 15, 2024

Derrick, thanks so much for the read and the feedback. It was pretty dramatic as you know having been through the same type of accident Really disorienting! Thank goodness we walked away safe and sound. Life is fragile.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:15 Jun 12, 2024

Almost tragic. Thanks God it was not. You described the event beautifully. Thanks for share.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
18:30 Jun 12, 2024

Thanks Darvico! Life can change in a split second. Scary stuff!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Glenda Toews
20:07 Jun 08, 2024

It's amazing at what we feel is important, and how quickly that shifts. I can imagine this ordeal terrified you all! I'm curious, what was the food?😳

Reply

Hannah Lynn
20:27 Jun 08, 2024

Hi Glenda! Thanks for reading. Lol great question…. The food was Red Lobster! 😊

Reply

Glenda Toews
20:29 Jun 08, 2024

Ohhhh, now I know why you were drooling...I think every year on the anniversary, you should go to Red lobster and celebrate being alive❤️🥰

Reply

Hannah Lynn
20:34 Jun 08, 2024

Now there’s an excellent idea!! 😀

Reply

Glenda Toews
20:37 Jun 08, 2024

Celebrate life with food! I particularly like their brussel sprouts😬

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marcia Szymanski
18:37 Jun 08, 2024

Having been hit by a drunk driver myself, your story brought back a lot of memories. You captured the emotional toll of the accident. The intensity and attention to detail is well done. Thanks for sharing the story.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
19:04 Jun 08, 2024

Thanks for reading, Marcia. Sorry you shared this experience as it was very scary. Thank goodness we were all ok other than shaken.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
19:22 Jun 06, 2024

She was just counting her blessings when the accident happened. We could feel the change of tone, the confusion and fear. Priorities shifted quickly and you kept us engaged. I'm sorry if this is based on truth - but you captured it well.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
16:46 Jun 08, 2024

Thanks for reading, Karen. I’m glad it came across well. Thankfully we all walked away.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:10 Jun 02, 2024

Hannah, brilliant use of the prompt !! So much changed in so little time. Great use of description. Wonderful work !

Reply

Hannah Lynn
17:35 Jun 03, 2024

Thanks so much, Alexis! Always great to read your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
17:33 Jun 02, 2024

Sorry to read about the rear-ending, glad you got your dinner, though. }]

Reply

Hannah Lynn
17:34 Jun 03, 2024

The dinner was good lol but we were shell shocked 😳

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:07 Jun 02, 2024

Glad you survived. Thanks for liking my 'Secrets That We Keep' .

Reply

Hannah Lynn
17:33 Jun 03, 2024

Meee tooo Mary! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
14:47 Jun 02, 2024

Very intense! So sorry to hear it's nonfiction.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
17:33 Jun 03, 2024

Hey there! I haven’t seen you in a while! Thanks for reading and I’m glad to see you’re back on Reedsy!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
19:45 Jun 03, 2024

I couldn't resist the prompts this week!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
10:08 Jun 02, 2024

Funny. We both wrote about car crashes. Yours is a little more realistic, though.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
17:31 Jun 03, 2024

Ah great minds think alike 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.