Sudden Fall of Memories

Submitted into Contest #77 in response to: Write a story set in the summer, when suddenly it starts to snow.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction Inspirational Romance

It was a bright summer day with scorching sun over the head.Streets were busy.People running for their daily work.Office goers rushing to their office,Children packed in school buses going to the place meant to make their future.Some Women walked on sidewalks.

There she was standing at the corner of her room looking out of the window.No sign of any relief on her face.She had been staring blankly at the street.

everybody is busy, Everyone has some aim to live life but what about her?

She seemed to have lost her direction after that day.

Yes that day when they both seperated.That was the day she lost hope and a bit of herself was dead.

Infact most of herself had died that day.So many dreams she had lived with him.So many moments she wanted to spend with him but now it all seemed like a distant memory yet those memories had not faded away.Every moment they spent together was embedded in her heart.

Running away from moments was of no help to her.

Deep inside her heart she wished one last time.One last time she could see his face.

But will it ever snow in summer? That's a hard question to ask.

But answer lies in future that she was going to experience.

She took a deep sigh and came out of her memories and decided to start her work at the office.

Being a lawyer was not easy.But that was the profession she had chosen for herself.And she was proud.

"EXCUSE ME MA'M"

"someone wants to meet you....they have an appointment with you"

The peon told her.

She nodded in yes and allowed the guest to come in.

"HELLO MISS.."

She looked up and her gaze got fixed at his face.

It was him looking as shocked as her.

"Tina"

"It's you"

He stammered.

So he was right in front of her eyes and she could not believe her fortune.

Does life give you such chances where it snows in summer?

Yes sometimes it does.

And his presence was a shining example that it happens.

His presence for her was no less than a snow fall in summer.

He walked in and as she looked out of the window she could feel snow falling on the streets and dripping everything in it.

Few lines of a song started running in her head...

"Wherever I go wherever you go

Moments will fall from our eyes as falls the snow.

Mist falls on our eyes and fills our lives

I will meet you or not is something I never thought

But life gives a lot

So some joys I have bought"

"How are you??"

"Its been a long time"He asked.

She could see that familiar smile on his face.

That bright face always brightened up more as he smiled and his smile reached his eyes making him look even more perfect.

He was perfect for her in all aspects.

Just their destinies were not.

She came out of the trance and spoke her first words to him after years.

"I'm good"

although her heart knew it was a lie.she had not been fine since long.

"And how are you?"

He spoke in a low voice "Yes I'm also fine"

But his heart knew he wasn't fine deep inside.The struggles of daily life and lack of sleep has taken a toll on his health.

They both settled.

"So it's your case"

"You have been sued by your own partner"

She asked looking curious as well as worried.

"Yeah"

"He betrayed me"

He said laughing but his pain of betrayal was evident in that laughter.

"No one can be trusted these days"

She replied trying to keep it professional but it was too difficult when two old friends meet to keep emotions at bay.

"Yeah but I trusted you always"

He spoke without a pause.

And then stopped abruptly as if something wrong came out of his mouth.

"Yeah me too" That's all she could say.

Then they both had a huge smile on their faces.

That smile reminded them of the days at college when they used to spend all of their time in smiles and laughter with no burden of work or Life.

But college days donot remain forever and so was their smiles.

"You remember the day we had played prank on the professor?"

He asked.

"Yes how can I forget that day"

"His face was worth looking .I had laughed so much at it"

She remembered.

And this made him smile.

Outside the window sun has disappeared among the clouds and so was inside.

That heat has turned into coolness.

But they were unaware.

"Those were the days"

"After you left the college it was too boring so I went there rarely"He spoke feeling regretful of the days not spent with her.

"Yeah it was hard for me too to adjust in the new atmosphere of a new college"

She emptied her heart.

"Yes without friends life is not the same and especially without your best friends"

He replied to her.

A tear slipped off his eye.

Thats how much he had missed her.

"Right.but it was all your fault"

"How could you do that to me "

She had anguish in her words.

"I never did anything it was the peon who lied about it"He protested.

"Ohh really! You mean peon lied that you had kept those papers in my bag"

"Yes how can you think that I am gonna trap you in paper leak case"He finally exploded.

"You were my friend...my best friend and instead of trusting me you trusted a strangers words" He spoke in anger.More than anger it was pain....Pain of being misunderstood and pain of not being listened to.

He could bear anything but not being called an enemy to her.

"So it was not you?" She softened.

She had been waiting to hear these words but never got a chance as she had left him in shock and disbelief.

And never contacted him ever.

But deep inside her heart she knew he can never do that to her.

But that pain of betrayal had overtaken her trust in him.

"Never"

You left me without even giving me a chance to explain myself"

"I searched for you everywhere"

But no one knew anything about you"

He told his side of story.

"That peon was bribed to bear fake witness by my rivals"

"They wanted to break out friendship"

He told her.

"What?"

She had so many emotions going through her.

And outside of the window it has started pouring.

Yes it was a snowfall In summer.

People had stopped their vehicles to enjoy the beauty of that snowfall.

She looked outside.

"Oh it's a snowfall in summer"

Sometimes anything is possible.You just need to have a little hope and never give up on yourself.

Things can change quickly and you may see a miracle right in front of your eyes.

And her miracle was right in front her.

They rushed out of the door to enjoy the snow.

January 22, 2021 09:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Joyce Laird
22:58 Jan 27, 2021

I found this story-line interesting, but the lack of punctuation, structure bad spacing, lower case letters that should have been caps., etc., kept pulling me out of the flow. I guess I've just been an editor too long. I would love to re-read this without the "glitches", The story concept and dialog are very good. It just needs some polishing,

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.