9 comments

Creative Nonfiction Crime Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

No recap due to word count. Please reread the eighth part if you view fit.

Harris's P.O.V

--------------------------------------------------- 

I sat down on the stool, staring at the canvas in front of me. All I had so far was a basic sketch. I haven't even started to paint. I've been so busy, being involved with this group. In four months, I got a house from the state, I met Inferna and got a driving license and now I'm listening to the drama of Maxlynn, this guy K.D. I let out a sigh staring at the group of trees, the tiny mushrooms and the stars.

It's so hard to even attempt this when all your focusing on is who is who, who came from where and what they're like. It's stressful. Tiring. 

I bit the inside of my lip, dabbing my brush in a bit of water, cleaning it as I surveyed the colors. I'm tempted to do natural colors, but the urge to do something Alice In Wonderland-y is rather strong as well. I let out a little huff before setting my brush down, folding my arms. I stared at the canvas.

My eyes widen. 

There's no reason I can't do both. It's my painting after all. I squint at the canvas grabbing my pencil. I immediately put pencil to canvas, copying the look of shattered glass, making sure to put fragments too. I'll have the fragments be Alice In Wonderland-y, and the main bit realism. 

I blink a little, realizing this could be a metaphor for something. I grumble a little. I don't want to think about metaphors.

P i n g

I felt my insides jump. I looked around my painting set up with wide eyes. Where is that thing-

P i n g

"Oh where are you?" I muttered to myself, setting the paints down. I stood up looking around more. I looked underneath the stool, finding the maker of the sound-

P i n g

My phone. I grumbled to myself, grabbing it. I rose a brow seeing an unknown number. I would've ignored it, however I do remember giving that one person my number. What was his name? It started with an E. Ejay? Eja? I let out a little gasp remembering his name. It was Elijah. He preferred Eli though, I think.

I answered the phone. "Hello, Luna Harris speaking."

"I need-" It was Eli. "Oh. That was formal." I chuckle at his response.

"Hello Eli." I say. 

"Hey Luna. You're friends with Inferna, yes?"

"..I am." I say hesitantly. The tone of his voice quickly became apparent, it was tense and hesitant. Anxious and scared. 

He let out a long long sigh. He was tired.

"You know where Inferna's place is, right?"

"Yeah.."

"At the round about take a left, go straight and then take a right. You'll see me out there-"

"What is going on-"

"Just-.." Eli groaned. "Just come."

Rivinian's P.O.V

--------------------------------------------------- 

I continued to stare at the police, even as they went off to talk to his family. I felt a hand on my shoulder, wet salty tears running down my face. As I watched his family, the more the reality of it hit me. I tightened my jaw.

"They said he went peacefully.." Eli's voice said quietly. I clenched my fists.

"I know it's hard but…" His voice droned out. I felt my body shake, and shake. I felt my throat get tighter and tighter. I let out a choked sob, holding onto the hoodie he gave me. That just made me cry more. "Hey hey.." Eli's voice said, pulling me close.

"He- he can't be dead. He can't- he's not, they're lying. They're lying-" I felt my breathing getting shorter.

"Hey, kid, deep breaths, calm down-"

"No! I will not calm down!" I scream, ripping away from him. "Rex is dead! Dead!" I stumbled to one of the walls in the police office. I slid down the wall, hugging the hoodie tighter. "He.. He's dead." I whispered. He can't be dead. He can't be. 

Rex just came into my life-

I buried my head into the hoodie.

No-

No-

No. NO. NO!

I lifted my head, hearing the sounds of footsteps. I blinked seeing foriegn legs. I looked up and immediately saw bits of Rex. My eyes started to water. My chest tightened. The two adults collapsed to their knees, pulling me close. I let out a gasp, surprised. Rex's parents were queerphobic as all heck-

"I'm so sorry we had you two hide your love from us." Rex's mom, Sharie, whispered. Her voice was shaky. Rex's dad hugged tighter. I cried harder.

Harris's P.O.V

--------------------------------------------------- 

I pulled into the driveway, seeing Eli outside just like he said. I felt all my insides become alert. Why was everyone at the police station..? I wondered. For a moment I felt like not getting out of the car at all, and I was just about to pull out- until he saw me. He waved me over, a blank stereotypical father expression on his face. Grim. Tired, done.

I parked the car and climbed out, making sure to lock it. "What's going on?"

"Rex was killed nearby a river…" He starts. My eyes widen.

"What- wh- how?" Eli shrugged. 

"Strangulation's the guess thus far.." He brought his hands to his face, dragging them down, as if he was trying to pull the stress away. "They have eight suspects…Inferna, Maxlynn, me and you-" I reeled back. 

"What-" Me? I'm just now recognizing names to faces!

"-as the suspects.. Ky too. There were a couple random guys nearby as well. And that K.D guy." He continued. I understood his horror now. The tiredness. "Maxlynn and Inferna are both missing too." He groaned, doing that hand thing again, this time, he just tightly held onto his hair.

Reed's P.O.V

--------------------------------------------------- 

I stared at the two of them with folded arms. "I don't know what Marc wants either of you two to do-"

"Hey don't put the blame on us freak." Inferna snaps. I clenched my jaw, glaring at her.

"Fern-" Her head turns to look at Maxlynn, with just as a fiery gaze. I bit my tongue, eyeing the concrete floor.

"You don't get to talk Maxlynn." My eyes widen. Didn't this one call xem Maxie..? I risked looking at the two. They seemed to be having a quiet conversation between themselves.

"Considering what's going on, yes, yes I do Inferna." Maxlynn said coldly. 

"You're merely an information gatherer for him- you. Are. Nothing-" I took a step forward.

"Hey now-"

"And you're one of his psychopaths!" Maxlynn barked.

"-no need to bring our ranking into this.." I continued, a quiet whisper compared to the two. I shoved my hands into my pockets. The two continued to argue, insulting each other. "Hey!" I snapped. The two jumped. Maxlynn anxious, Inferna furious. 

"Koner, stay out of this." Maxlynn said softly. My eye twitched. I heard Maxlynn mutter something under xyr breath. I didn't know what xe said, but I knew it wasn't nice.

"Hey what, pretty boy?" My fist curled.

"Oh you son of a-" My fist flew.

Rivinian's P.O.V

--------------------------------------------------- 

I sat inside the questioning room feeling as if I couldn't breath. I stared as the policemen stood outside the door. I could only hear their quiet whispers. It terrified me. I know everyone's a suspect right now- but me? Why me? I love Rex- loved. He's dead. I looked at the table, ignoring my jaw tensing. I can't cry. I can't. 

"It's okay to cry nerd." I stiffened, feeling a hand on my back. I looked behind me shocked. Rex?

"Wh- what are-"

"I heard someone sniffling." He said sitting down next to me. He stared at the sky. I stared at him.

"So you.. So you followed them?" I asked with a hint of a laugh. He shrugged.

"I guess yeah, considering I'm here." I smiled. 

"You're cute." I say, looking at the sky. I heard him stutter. I grinned. "Adorable."

"Wh- hey- no!" He said, a hint of a smile on his face. I turned to him, with a grin just as big.

"Yeah, yeah you are."

I pulled my fingers through my hair, seeing a growing puddle of tears. "Rex.." I choked. "Why- wh.. Who would.." I hid my face in my arms.

I guess I can cry.

September 29, 2022 15:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Crows_ Garden
12:48 Oct 19, 2022

: >

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
07:13 Oct 04, 2022

LEO LET'S TALK. W H Y. I LOVE YOU- BUT WHY.

Reply

Crows_ Garden
15:11 Oct 04, 2022

; w ; P l o t (I need to research about comas apparently.. o - o)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
04:59 Sep 30, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Crows_ Garden
15:16 Sep 30, 2022

; w ; Pfffffffttttttttttttt Rex might be in a coma instead-

Reply

Unknown User
02:54 Oct 05, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
15:07 Sep 29, 2022

I am now subtly crying in my Physics klasse I also apologize for the amount of POV switches, I couldn't find a way to make it work without them.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.